Rogue Waves?

WitchyWoman14

Could someone post the exact number, rounded off to the nearest BILLION, how many cruise ships have been lost to rogue waves. Not the total number, just the ones lost in the last 500,000 years.

Is there a full moon?

I am just amazed how little hull depth is on these cruise ships, that they dont roll more.

Stabilizers..........

Ocean Liners are built for the rough seas of the North Atlantic. They tend to have a much more pronounced deep "V" the entire length of the hull and do not have the very high superstructure you see in modern cruise ships that ply the Carribean and Mediterranean Seas. A liner would be better equipped to handle a rouge wave vs a modern, top heavy cruise ship. That's why you would never find me on an ocean crossing in a modern cruise ship.

When we feel the ship thump and shudder, I just look at my wife and say "WHALE".

Dave

Hmmm . . . Now THAT's much more dangerous than a rogue wave! Most men might really get hurt looking at their wives and then saying WHALE:eek::D:eek:

I am not too worried about hurricaines or tropical storms because I feel like Carnival and the captain will do their very best to keep us all out of harm's way. The only thing I even entertain as being a threat is a rogue wave. I have just seen the shows on Discovery and it seems they are unpredictable.

So, do you worry about them at all? I know the chances are pretty slim, but still... just curious if any of you worry at all about them... ;)

It does no good to worry about things you have no control over. I don't worry about rogue waves, or wings falling off the airplane, or something falling from the sky ...

There are plenty of other things in this world that I do have control over that I worry about.

Hmmm . . . Now THAT's much more dangerous than a rogue wave! Most men might really get hurt looking at their wives and then saying WHALE:eek::D:eek:

This response made me laugh so loud, that I scared one of the dogs!!! :D

Could someone post the exact number, rounded off to the nearest BILLION, how many cruise ships have been lost to rogue waves. Not the total number, just the ones lost in the last 500,000 years.

Is there a full moon?

.........and Jupiter's rising, for sure............

Stabilizers..........

Ocean Liners are built for the rough seas of the North Atlantic. They tend to have a much more pronounced deep "V" the entire length of the hull and do not have the very high superstructure you see in modern cruise ships that ply the Carribean and Mediterranean Seas. A liner would be better equipped to handle a rouge wave vs a modern, top heavy cruise ship. That's why you would never find me on an ocean crossing in a modern cruise ship.

You're kidding right????:)

I am just amazed how little hull depth is on these cruise ships, that they dont roll more.

Myself included . . . most of these cruise ships are flat-bottomed and draw only 30 feet of water. That seems like a dismal amount compared to the height of these monsters. Of course, all the heaviest (most dense) equipment is wisely located as low in the ship as is possible(generators, diesels, condensers, azipods, etc.). Still makes my mind play "what ifs" games. :D

Stabilizers..........

Actually, if waves exceed 15 or 20 feet, stabilizers are folded back into the hull. Serious large waves would rip the stabilizers right off the ship, and probably breech the hull in the process.

Myself included . . . most of these cruise ships are flat-bottomed and draw only 30 feet of water. That seems like a dismal amount compared to the height of these monsters. Of course, all the heaviest (most dense) equipment is wisely located as low in the ship as is possible(generators, diesels, condensers, azipods, etc.). Still makes my mind play "what ifs" games. :D

Me too! I'm certainly no naval engineering expert but I did grow up in a boating family and am aware of the ratio between hull depth and stability. The same thoughts sure have crossed my mind. They just keep building them taller and narrower. There has to be a point at which that design (although very profitable) becomes unstable. Somehow it doesn't stop either us from booking, lol. My next is on the Legend, which is a prime example. Still, I'd feel vaguely like I should have known better if it ever happened -- especially with me on it:eek: I've always been curious about how they manage it.

Actually, if waves exceed 15 or 20 feet, stabilizers are folded back into the hull. Serious large waves would rip the stabilizers right off the ship, and probably breech the hull in the process.

Shoot! And here I was worried that my post might upset the passengers, lol.:eek::D

Thanks Dan!!!!!! How about coming over and telling the grandkids a bedtime Story!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I'd really be nervous if I was sailing on the Northwestern or the Time Bandit or the Maverick or the Cornelia Marie..... should I go on?????? Wow.... I watch way too much Discovery Channel..... and to think, I bought my husband the entire series of "The Deadliest Catch" for Father's Day.

Cruise ships are designed so that even if they list 45 degrees, they will still right themselves.

Me too! I'm certainly no naval engineering expert but I did grow up in a boating family and am aware of the ratio between hull depth and stability. The same thoughts sure have crossed my mind. They just keep building them taller and narrower. There has to be a point at which that design (although very profitable) becomes unstable. Somehow it doesn't stop either us from booking, lol. My next is on the Legend, which is a prime example. Still, I'd feel vaguely like I should have known better if it ever happened -- especially with me on it:eek: I've always been curious about how they manage it.

First of all the taller ships are wider. The Destiny, Triumph, Victory, Splendor, Dream class and Conquest class are all wider than the Spirit class.

The ships are designed so that they will right themselves even after listing at an 45 degree angle.

We were on the NCL Dawn in 2008 and I have to admit I remembered that it had gotten hit by a Rogue Wave before and as I was standing on the balcony at night and it was pitch black - no moon - and all you could see were stars... You could not tell where the ocean was or the sky that I got a little nervous - there could be a rouge wave out there and you wouldn't see it coming..... HUbby laughed at me! :D:o:p Debbie

I think the chances of dying on a cruise ship because of a rogue wave is about as likely as your plane going down. Of course it's scary to think about what if...but, then I remind myself that the chances are SO remote, then I KNOW it will be OK...that makes all the difference to me. But, on the other hand - my husband wouldn't get on a plane to save his life, the odds don't comfort him at all! Everybody is different, and of course if nothing has ever happened to you (like me), then I guess it's alot easier to believe nothing ever will!;)

Edeno in Sacramento

Archived