Rogue Waves?

WitchyWoman14

Last cruise we sailed thru 55 knot winds and waves that breaking above our first deck ov window....scared the heck out of my wife. couldn't believe how high that was when viewed from land.

So bad the capt did not leave the bridge even for the capt s party.

Mike

Up until 2003,ONE ship/boat a week was lost at sea...one of the best kept secrets around...BUT,in 2000,Germany launched the ESA (European Space Agency) which tracked Rogue waves all over the world.They discovered that in a one week period,TEN waves measuring 75+ ft. were found in oceans all over the world..this was the opposite of what scientists believed originally-that 100 ft. rogue waves could only happen once every 10,000 years...the satellite system now can warn mariners,ships,etc.,of possible rogue waves coming..since then,rogue wave sinkings have declined and as we speak,Germany is putting togther a MAP that outlines where the most common occurances are.....

Big Al

Me too! I'm certainly no naval engineering expert but I did grow up in a boating family and am aware of the ratio between hull depth and stability. The same thoughts sure have crossed my mind. They just keep building them taller and narrower. There has to be a point at which that design (although very profitable) becomes unstable. Somehow it doesn't stop either us from booking, lol. My next is on the Legend, which is a prime example. Still, I'd feel vaguely like I should have known better if it ever happened -- especially with me on it:eek: I've always been curious about how they manage it.

There are also ballast tanks onboard to keep the ship weighted as bunker fuel is drawn off.

Dave

Ballast......thats why I book cabins on the first few decks......I'm actually doing us all a favor when I eat more than my share and remain as low as possible!

Another lobster tail and keep the dessert coming", it's going to get rough tonight!!!

Archived