Rogue Waves?

WitchyWoman14

I am not too worried about hurricaines or tropical storms because I feel like Carnival and the captain will do their very best to keep us all out of harm's way. The only thing I even entertain as being a threat is a rogue wave. I have just seen the shows on Discovery and it seems they are unpredictable.

So, do you worry about them at all? I know the chances are pretty slim, but still... just curious if any of you worry at all about them... ;)

I am not too worried about hurricaines or tropical storms because I feel like Carnival and the captain will do their very best to keep us all out of harm's way. The only thing I even entertain as being a threat is a rogue wave. I have just seen the shows on Discovery and it seems they are unpredictable.

So, do you worry about them at all? I know the chances are pretty slim, but still... just curious if any of you worry at all about them... ;)

If I was taking a cruise on the Bearing Sea on a 100 foot long, 2 Deck high crab boat I would worry:).. On a 1000+ Foot Long, 15 Deck High Cruise Ship I tend to relax ALOT MORE;):D.. Take Care..

I agree with fire and mrpete, why worry about what could happen (very remotely) Not a way I want to live my life.

We could be hit by a speeding train on a railroad crossing, but I still will go over those tracks if I need to. We could get hit by a nuclear bomb by an insane third world country leader.

Too many what ifs in this life.

The only thing I fear on a cruise is that they will run out of rum!!!!:p:rolleyes:

Carole

You say you are not too worried about hurricanes. I wasnt too worried about being raped until it almost happened to me, then it worried me. I wasnt too worried about hurricanes until I lost my car to Ike last Sept.

With me I dont worry about what could happen until it becomes a reality for me. I dont worry about the "what ifs", but more the things I know can happen. Hurricanes still worry me some. My friend is on the Conquest Sept 6th, the week when Ike hit and they are making alternative plans for their truck parking and worried about parking it in Galveston after what happened to me. They are leaving a extra set of keys with a brother to go get it if worse comes to worse.

Rogue waves are most likey when a fast-moving current of water meets a strong wind blowing in the opposite direction from the current.

An example would be a strong wind blowing from the north, against the Gulf Stream. In these conditions, the captain would probably hug the coast to keep away from the stream, but around the Outer Banks of NC, there are dangerous shoals, so he may have to venture near the stream.

There have been instances where a cruise ship was whacked by a huge wave, but the only damage was a few broken windows, a missing mast, and wet cabins. Passenger injuries were minor cuts from the glass, etc.

Well,.... there's always one in the crowd.....!

We sailed from Norfolk on one of those"Dam" ships and about halfway through the cruise, during the second dinner seating, we were hit by "something"!!! We were in our bunks ahhh........."relaxing", and was hearly knocked out onto the floor! In the DR, there were a few cuts, scrapes and bruises, and lots of broken glassware.

Naturally everyone was a bit concerned, but because no emergency bells rang, we got over it after a bit...... Sadly enough, we never were formally informed as to the cause, but the next morning in port there was no damage evident, so my theory was a very large wave hit the stern and gave us all a pretty good thump

Never before, but now that you said something,I probably will:p

Seriously,I will be looking out at sea and think of that post about rogue waves. Then I will tell my dh about this post as I go get a burger and DOD and forget about it,lol. Eventhough we did sail while a hurricane was at sea and through the rockiest storm ever on the Triumph,I am usually to excited about everything to worry.

Never before, but now that you said something,I probably will:p

Seriously,I will be looking out at sea and think of that post about rogue waves. Then I will tell my dh about this post as I go get a burger and DOD and forget about it,lol. Eventhough we did sail while a hurricane was at sea and through the rockiest storm ever on the Triumph,I am usually to excited about everything to worry.

I'm sorry... :o Yeah, I agree.. somehow when I am on a cruise ship, it seems my worries are left on land... :)

We sailed from Norfolk on one of those"Dam" ships and about halfway through the cruise, during the second dinner seating, we were hit by "something"!!! We were in our bunks ahhh........."relaxing", and was hearly knocked out onto the floor! In the DR, there were a few cuts, scrapes and bruises, and lots of broken glassware.

Naturally everyone was a bit concerned, but because no emergency bells rang, we got over it after a bit...... Sadly enough, we never were formally informed as to the cause, but the next morning in port there was no damage evident, so my theory was a very large wave hit the stern and gave us all a pretty good thump

It would be interesting to find out the details of your 'thump'. Always curious. I am glad that all turned out okay. I think these ships can handle a lot...not everything but a lot. I am still sailing; that's for sure!

I experienced a freak wave situation last year on a ship to Bermuda. As we were coming to port, I was eating lunch in the dining room, the sky was blue and the sea was calm.... until a wave hit and the entire ship went to one side for a second (then righted itself). The entire dining room was a mess, all the glasses and plates fell to the floor. But it was over in a second and no one said a word.

On a cruise to Mexico, my family were on the old Majesty of the sea before they lowered the sky lounge (or whatever they call it) and in the middle of the night the ship was turned to it's side. My brother told me they ended up rolling off the bed onto the floor. After that cruise, I heard RCCL lowered the height of the lounge. Perhaps it was 'top heavy'???

I don't know if these were "rogue" waves or just anomolies, but we SURVIVED!

Enjoy Cruising Forever!

DOC :cool:

The Norwegian Dawn got hit by a rogue wave back in 2005... Some 60 cabins were flooded and 4 passengers were injured.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1286

Freak Wave Bashes Norwegian Dawn; Delays Return As Norwegian Cruise Line's Norwegian Dawn cruised north on its way home to New York Saturday, it was slammed by a 70-ft. "freak wave" that broke windows in two cabins and flooded another 60.

Also damaged, according to media reports, were windows on the 9th and 10th floors, gift shop, and theater, not to mention bars, which lost of much of their glassware, and the lido buffet, whose food displays wound up on the floor. On the crew deck, two whirlpools were destroyed and a railing was wrenched from its mooring. Passenger injuries have not been reported.

The ship had been battling rough seas through the night although reportedly the storm had begun to pass. The battered Norwegian Dawn suffered no serious damage but was diverted to Charleston Saturday afternoon for repairs. Crew members immediately began to clean up the mess, according to Cruise Critic community member EileenN, who posted from the ship. "Most of all [there was] a great, great, crew willing to do whatever they could to make you comfortable. Clean-up started immediately and spirits are high." The ship also offered passengers "open bar" service.

According to a company statement, folks in the affected cabins are being flown home. The rest of the passengers stayed on board. All passengers will receive a 50 percent refund and 50 percent discount on a future cruise.

Open Bar?!!? w00t!

Although... looks like some passengers tried to file a class-action lawsuit against Norwegian... but it was thrown out. I guess rogue waves ARE unpredictable!

http://norwegian-dawn-news.newslib.com/story/4296-3162168/

Although, a 1000ft long ship getting hit by a 70ft wave is pretty impressive.

I would think that it would still take a lot more to get one of those "Poseidon Adventure" scenarios.

No, I don't worry about them.

They happen, sure....but the chance of it happening to the ship you are on is slim to none.

32 years of cruising.....on most every body of water in the world on over 250 cruises and I've never seen one or heard of one overcoming a passenger vessel.

Here we go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary

In December 1942, the Queen Mary was carrying exactly 16,082 American troops from New York to Great Britain, a standing record for the most passengers ever transported on one vessel.[8] While 700 miles from Scotland during a gale, she was suddenly hit broadside by a rogue wave that may have reached a height of 28 metres (92 ft). An account of this crossing can be found in Walter Ford Carter's book, No Greater Sacrifice, No Greater Love. Carter's father, Dr. Norval Carter, part of the 110th Station Hospital on board at the time, wrote that at one point the Queen Mary "damned near capsized... One moment the top deck was at its usual height and then, swoom! Down, over, and forward she would pitch." It was calculated later that the ship would have capsized had she rolled another 20 cm. The incident inspired Paul Gallico to write his story, The Poseidon Adventure

The Queen Mary was hit carrying 16,000 people by a 92 ft wave.

Supposedly, it pitched 52 degrees before righting itself.

That was over 45 years ago on ship tech almost 100 years old.

We're FINE!

Goodness you just had to bring that up right before I leave for my cruise.;):)

The Norwegian Dawn got hit by a rogue wave back in 2005... Some 60 cabins were flooded and 4 passengers were injured.

Open Bar?!!? w00t!

Although... looks like some passengers tried to file a class-action lawsuit against Norwegian... but it was thrown out. I guess rogue waves ARE unpredictable!

I would think that it would still take a lot more to get one of those "Poseidon Adventure" scenarios.

I was going to mention the Dawn Incident (a friend of mine was in a flooded out cabin, she hasn't set foot on a boat since then).

It happens. Acts of God happen. But if you compare the amount of people on a ship hit by a rogue wave in the past ten years with the amount of people who have cruised without experiencing it, it's a statistical anomoly.

Rogue waves are RARE in the Caribbean....most happen in VERY deep waters...the NCL Dawn thing was way up North closer to NY......I have done 24 cruises (# 25 Destiny 9/7...) and have NEVER seen any waves higher than 15-18 ft...The Queen Mary one was in the Atlantic....I'd be more concerned with storms generating 30-40 ft. waves,but those ,too,are rare.....The Perfect Storm in Oct '91 and Hurricane Mitch were said to have generated 70-100 ft seas-now that's NOT a cruise I'd wanna be on.....

Big Al

try going through a typhoon in a 400 foot navy ship......I will take a rogue wave on a cruise ship any day......that typhoon literally created a hole on the bottom of our ship from slamming down so hard....hundreds of times...

No thanks...but I'll take your word on it.......

try going through a typhoon in a 400 foot navy ship......I will take a rogue wave on a cruise ship any day......that typhoon literally created a hole on the bottom of our ship from slamming down so hard....hundreds of times...

Imagine doing that in a wooden ship with sails ... :eek:

Open Bar?!!? w00t!

Since a rogue wave is an unpredictable act of God, they were suing the wrong person. However, assuming that they won a judgment against God, collection might be a problem.

DON

Archived