Princess Buffet Food ?

JamesOceanVillage

The buffet food is pretty good, but the thing that I don't like about the Horizontal Court is having to eat laying down.....and crawling in a lineup is hard on the knees. Don't you just hate having to drink using the corner of your mouth?....and reaching that shrimp sauce is sometimes just too difficult.

Sitting upright in the dining room (unless one suffers from vertigo) is much more comfortable, and easier on the digestive system.

Mark, I just started reading this thread. Need Windex for the screen, I should know better than to sip my tea and read. Laughing so hard I am crying. Thanks for the terrific belly laugh!

Ginger

Perhaps my taste buds work differently than some. I find the buffet food to be pretty bland for the most part. About the only time I eat there is when there isn't really another choice.

I really enjoy the dining room. I like frou-frou food that's prettily served. And there certainly isn't much on the Princess menu that I don't recognize and that isn't served at one or another of the mid-price level restaurants I eat out at in my city.

I think Princess does a particularly good job with souffles (I'll eat pretty much anything souffled....:D) and fish. I'm always surprised how many don't like fish -- I guess a lot of folks didn't grow up eating it?

Unfortunately, I've noticed the Princess menus have been "simplified" a lot over the years. There used to be a number of delicious classic French dishes offered, as well as some great Italian dishes (not just pasta). I suppose that's partly due to cost-cutting and also to less-sophisticated palates.....:(

I'm right there with ya! Of course, I also consider myself a bit of a food geek - I read cookbooks for enjoyment. :D

I loved being able to eat pheasant and lamb and veal. DH and DS15 really enjoyed the venison. The desserts were incredible. And I loved being able to decipher the menu for my kids. I think there was only one "cooking term" I didn't recognize and had to ask about.

I'm not a fish eater myself - even though my mom served it often when I was growing up. But I wll say my 15 year old son enjoyed a lot of fish on our recent cruise. I know he had salmon, catfish and rockfish...oh, and DH had the baramundi and really enjoyed that as well.

I am an elite Princess member and think that the Horizon Court is terrible. /quote]

Sorry, but can't figure out the relationship of being an "Elite" to your preference of dining places? Does it make the food taste different??

Those photos above don't do Horizontal Court justice... :eek:

I am an elite Princess member and think that the Horizon Court is terrible. /quote]

Sorry, but can't figure out the relationship of being an "Elite" to your preference of dining places? Does it make the food taste different??

I took it to mean that floatie has been on many, many Princess cruises, but still doesn't like Horizon Court food. :confused:

I am always surprised when people say that Princess' buffet food is much better than other cruise lines. To me the buffet food isn't very good and surprised that other ship's buffet is worse than that!

I was very proud of myself that on a recent cruise on the Ruby I only ate in the Buffet once. That was all meals, not just dinner. I wouldn't think of eating dinner in the buffet. I don't think the dining room is stuffy and they do have the "comfort classics" if you think the meals are too fru fru. While the descriptions sounds like "fine dining", I think the meal you get is pretty down to earth.

But that's the great thing about cruising. Everyone likes different things and the cruise ship accomodates all!

Just take a cruise on NCL and sample their "dog food" buffets and you can eat the words in your first paragraph.

Hey, come on, do you have better to share:eek:

A lot of effort when into taking these pics so others going can have an idea. Those are more than I had going to HC for the first time.

I'm right there with ya! Of course, I also consider myself a bit of a food geek - I read cookbooks for enjoyment. :D

I loved being able to eat pheasant and lamb and veal. DH and DS15 really enjoyed the venison. The desserts were incredible. And I loved being able to decipher the menu for my kids. I think there was only one "cooking term" I didn't recognize and had to ask about.

I'm not a fish eater myself - even though my mom served it often when I was growing up. But I wll say my 15 year old son enjoyed a lot of fish on our recent cruise. I know he had salmon, catfish and rockfish...oh, and DH had the baramundi and really enjoyed that as well.

I'm only commenting because there is not one food you mentioned that I would eat. Ever. Even desserts. It just struck me as funny. My food choices are few.

Hey, come on, do you have better to share:eek:

A lot of effort when into taking these pics so others going can have an idea. Those are more than I had going to HC for the first time.

Exactly, what has anyone else offered right?

I too, would not be OK having my damn photos criticized by someone offering nothing.

Did the critic notice the photos of the actual food line posted earlier?

Thanks for the photos Kooljamming.

one of the things that I learned early to do was to take a bit of my scotch bonnet sauce or a "seasoning pepper sauce" with me. that heats things up a bit......always works.....and then there is the chile/salt/sugar that Mexicans use on fruit...(come is a small shaker bottle)....It is luscious.......great for the buffet....or fruit in the room....

Looks like a whole lotta meat, carbs, and fried food to me.....not my "cup of tea" at all.

It's good that Princess has choices for everyone.

She's kidding, right? It's pretty scary looking stuff!!!!......Thank goodness there's lots of choices for everyone!!!!!

She's kidding, right? It's pretty scary looking stuff!!!!......Thank goodness there's lots of choices for everyone!!!!!

No she is NOT. Do you have any pics of anything less scary to SHARE.

A lot of thought went into taking the pics and a lot of guts into posting them. All this hoping to help someone going for the FIRST time.

Please check out what a lot of work went into, many obstructed view cabin from Golden Princess at the end of my cruise. We all have opinions and digital cameras, maybe we can use both to help someone going for the first time. We can agree to disagree on opinions but let the viewers decide on the best pic, angle or view. In the meantime please don't discourage others from doing something you have failed to do on this thread......share a picture.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/574160357udMMZr

I'm only commenting because there is not one food you mentioned that I would eat. Ever. Even desserts. It just struck me as funny. My food choices are few.

That's why it's great they have so many choices on board. :)

Because of food allergies, being able to be selective of a large variety over the MDR, is preferrable. Seldom do we eat in the MDR. The food in the Buffet is almost always VERY satisfactory. On our nearly 100 cruises we often see people in the Buffet who had just left the MDR of almost every ship, seeking a better meal. Sim that ply put, there is an eating venue somewhere on all ships that should satisfy most people. Keep in mind that there are always some who find fault in everything

Because of food allergies, being able to be selective of a large variety over the MDR, is preferrable. Seldom do we eat in the MDR. The food in the Buffet is almost always VERY satisfactory. On our nearly 100 cruises we often see people in the Buffet who had just left the MDR of almost every ship, seeking a better meal. Sim that ply put, there is an eating venue somewhere on all ships that should satisfy most people. Keep in mind that there are always some who find fault in everything

I'm just curious, based on a couple of recent experiences posted in this board, about your comment. I would've thought that if you have food allergies, it would make more sense to eat in the MDR than at the buffet because you can go over the menu with the head waiter to determine the ingredients used, whereas you are completely on your own at the buffet. You can't always tell by looking at some items what they contain or how they have been cooked.

:confused:

I'm just curious, based on a couple of recent experiences posted in this board, about your comment. I would've thought that if you have food allergies, it would make more sense to eat in the MDR than at the buffet because you can go over the menu with the head waiter to determine the ingredients used, whereas you are completely on your own at the buffet. You can't always tell by looking at some items what they contain or how they have been cooked.

:confused:

I'm curious too...

I have extreme shellfish allergies and my son is allergic to strawberries and we were told by the maitre d, the head waiter, and our waiter that we shouldn't go to the buffet...there was too much of a chance of cross contamination plus not knowing what was in the food.

I would not eat at buffet if I had some problem with one kind of food or another to many little kids (and big kids) are allowed to use the buffet that dont take care of what spoon or fork can from what tray and all of it is in another tray at sometime.

A lot of thought went into taking the pics and a lot of guts into posting them. All this hoping to help someone going for the FIRST time.

Please check out what a lot of work went into, many obstructed view cabin from Golden Princess at the end of my cruise. We all have opinions and digital cameras, maybe we can use both to help someone going for the first time. We can agree to disagree on opinions but let the viewers decide on the best pic, angle or view. In the meantime please don't discourage others from doing something you have failed to do on this thread......share a picture.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/574160357udMMZr

mad support on the photos you always try and supply what you know or some photos so it is a great help to all that dont know. I dont know what you can do to give justice to the HC photos it looked about like the food you get there. You are not on hells kitchen and dont have to plate your food in a pretty fashion so I mean give me a break what more do you want.

I wasn't commenting on your fine/excellent/perfectly gorgeous/ panaramically styled,/ photogeniously done photography.....I was commenting on the food itself! Chill!

I am an elite Princess member and think that the Horizon Court is terrible. I love the MDR. On the Star in June, my DM, DD and I had a 3 top. Dinner was less than an hour every night. I also sail HAL and think their buffet is great and hate their MDR. It all comes down to taste and preference. If youare lucky enough to sail on a a Princess ship with a real pizzeria that is my favorite place of all to eat. On my last cruise I was lucky enoughto be able to eat in Sabitin's for breakfast, thus reenforcing my disdain forHorizon Court.

Does the Horizon Court serve different food for ELITE - Is it better quality or lesser? We never eat there and being ELITE, if it is gourmet for ELITE, we may try it.

Ron

Archived