NCL Jewel laundry

ohfan

PER THE CDC the illnesses onboard cruise ships are waterborn. So after the 1000 person GAS illness on Jewel October 2008, they closed all laundry rooms on all ships. They have bags that you roll clothes to get more in for $25 each.

This can't possibly be the absolute reason for this. If it was, then the other cruise lines would not have them either. I know that Princess and Disney DEFINATELY have self serve laundry.

Just more incorrect info from this poster....it gets tiring.

the illnesses onboard cruise ships are waterborn. So after the 1000 person GAS illness on Jewel October 2008, they closed all laundry rooms on all ships. We were part of the lucky folks cruising to Canada the following week & what a mess service, meals, the buffet, ice cream, all was protected from the virus that may still be alive on the ship.

They have bags that you roll clothes to get more in for $25 each.

An interesting concept that the Noro may be transmitted by use of the Laundry!

Frankly it seems unlikely. I think I will stay with the regular reasons for catching noro, like touching contaminated surfaces and putting your fingers in your orifices, or not washing your hands properly.

I do not believe there was a 1000 person outbreak on Jewel. That is scaremongering.

For the record, here are the numbers as reported by the CDC on their web site.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2008/oct7njewel.htm

Cruise Ship: Norwegian Jewel

Voyage Dates: 9/28-10 /8

Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 144 of 2132 (6.75%)

Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 9 of 1071 (0.84%)

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2008/oct16njewel.htm

Cruise Ship: Norwegian Jewel

Voyage Dates: 10/8-10 /18

Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 86 of 2098 (4.1%)

Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 11 of 1084 (1.0%)

As you can see, nowhere near 1000 people were affected.

The Jewel was in the US in October. Are you sure about your statment?

PE

He (she) also posted a review of the Jewel indicating that the sailing was Oct 7-12, which can't be right. We're waiting to see if the OP returns and clarifies the dates.

on the SPIRIT and STAR (sept & dec) the $25 fill a bag was offered but i understand from what i have read on CC in other threads that this SPECIAL is not always offered on every sailing on every ship...just depends

The special was offered on the Sky on a 4 day itinerary. We filled one bag up and put so much into it that it had to come back to us in two bags. Definitely worth it.

The reason why NCL closed its self serve laundrys is to avoid a very stiff Coast Guard fine. People overloaded the washers and dryers to save time causing wet floors. People left their laundry unattended to enjoy the cruise, causing others to dump their clothes on the floor who didn't wait. Frankly, for NCL they were more trouble that what they were worth.

Simply put, we have met the enemy and found its us....

I think it's too bad that NCL closed the S-S Laundry. We were on the Jewel last January (one of our best cruises ever BTW) and because it was a nine day'r which we proceeded with 5 days in Ft Lauderdale pre-cruise we could have used it.

Princess still has S-S Laundry and we've never had any trouble with it. Everyone was very civilised. I don't recall ever having an issue back when NCL had it either, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

I have never heard of the US Coast Guard issuing any fine over a laundry room BTW.... have you any links or cases on that one?

I am sure if you googled NCL press releases + self serve laundry you will get pages of links to shuffle through.... You will read of unattended clothes, dumping of washers and dryers, and overloaded washers and dryers. You will also discover what led to their demise was to avoid a Coast Guard fine.... This isn't new news....

• 2 months later...

Archived