Thinking of trying Windstar

rubato

My husband and I have always done the big cruise lines. After our last trip on Carnival, I said I'd never do it again. We have friends that have chartered a private sailboat. It sounds wonderful, but I don't want to spend that kind of money. So, now, I'm looking at Windstar as an in between option. I'm thinking about the Windspirit in January of next year. Is it as relaxing as it sounds? My favorite thing to do is lay out in the sun with a good book. The passenger # is very enticing. What's the food like? I don't need gourmet options, but want it to be good. What are the drink prices like? I'm sure I'll have many more questions, so thank you ahead of time for all your answers!

All I can tell you is once you sail on Windstar you will never want to go back to a large ship. Yes, if you want to feel like you are in Vegas and have the ability to eat 17 times a day for 7-10 days then go on the big ships.

If however, you wish to connect with the sea, have incredible service and food and a memories to last a lifetime, well it is Windstar.

All I can tell you is once you sail on Windstar you will never want to go back to a large ship. Yes, if you want to feel like you are in Vegas and have the ability to eat 17 times a day for 7-10 days then go on the big ships.

If however, you wish to connect with the sea, have incredible service and food and a memories to last a lifetime, well it is Windstar.

Could not agree more as we ready to embark on Sunday for the Wind Surf's cruise from Venice along the coast of Croatia. We are totally hooked!

Windstar was the only cruise line I could persuade my husband to try.He just hated the idea of being on a floating city with a couple of thousand others.

After our first cruise he was hooked.We can hardly wait for our third cruise on Windsurf---Rome to Barcelona this October.

We love the laid back atmosphere,no formal evenings and no theatre,cinema or bingo and the food is good too!

Val

My husband and I have always done the big cruise lines. After our last trip on Carnival, I said I'd never do it again. We have friends that have chartered a private sailboat. It sounds wonderful, but I don't want to spend that kind of money. So, now, I'm looking at Windstar as an in between option. I'm thinking about the Windspirit in January of next year. Is it as relaxing as it sounds? My favorite thing to do is lay out in the sun with a good book. The passenger # is very enticing. What's the food like? I don't need gourmet options, but want it to be good. What are the drink prices like? I'm sure I'll have many more questions, so thank you ahead of time for all your answers!

No comparison to Carnival or other mass market ships. We've done 8 or 9 on Windstar, most recently Monaco Grand Prix week in May of this year. You'll LOVE it!

• 3 weeks later...

Agree for 200 pct!!! Last year we were in August from Dubrovnik to Venice. Simply excellent on Windstar. (note Windspirit is the same and Windsurf bis ex Clubmed 1 with 308 passengers) Ship size max 168 passengers.

Food is excellent You have one restaurant in the evening and the Veranda for breakfast and lunch.

Crew is open and close, even the captain. You are allowed to visit the bridge. There is a watrsport platform when at anchor. The ship can get in small beautiful ports. The sails are used as extra to the engines, but one sail also when at anchor to keep the ship in line.

Cabins are spacious certainly for the size of ship. Maintenance is excellent!

They are indeed 180 degrees from ordinary!!

I had a fabulous time on Windstar, and will do it again soon. It was, without a doubt, the most relaxing cruise I've ever been on. Here's what I loved about Windstar:

1. The passengers. Being on a smaller ship, you get to really meet people. Every single person I met on our cruise was so nice.. and very interesting to talk to. Many had their own businesses.. although I met a doctor and an actress too.

2. The staff is wonderful. They give you the "personal touch." They remember if you like tea or coffee for breakfast, they call you by name, and they're very friendly.

3. The accomodations. You have a flat screen TV, an ipod docking station (you can borrow a fully loaded ipod!), a DVD machine (you can borrow movies), and the beds.. ohhhhhhh... the beds...... mmmmmmmm....

they're fluffy, with down filled pillows. Oh boy are they comfortable! And in the bathroom, you get L'occitane products, which I LOVE!

4. They pamper you. You come in from the beach.. expect a cool, moist towel to greet you. They trip over themselves to make you feel comfortable. You get fresh fruit in your room. They had a barbq out on the beach for us one day. They make you feel like a rockstar.

5. The pool is quiet. No blaring music.. just the lap of the ocean and the sound of the breeze. Read a book or go to sleep.

6. The food. It was REALLY good! One night, they had a big dinner on the deck with lobster, steak, chicken, pork, and just about anything you can think of.

7. The sports deck. You can swim off the back of the ship under calm conditions. (I did this twice, and loved it!) You can use their toys (kiyak, sailboat, etc).

8. You are welcome in the helm. You can watch the Captain and crew as they helm the ship. They'll explain how the computerized sails work.

It's an experience like no other. Do it.. definately do it!!!

Rubato - Great discussion thread. My hubby and I have cruised on many "floating cities" over the years like yourself - but since we started sailing our own boat 5 years ago - the big boats just don't quite do it for us anymore. We often are gazing at charter sailboats at ports (even visiting the marinas to talk to fellow sailors) and wishing we were on them. We did try to get a few other sailing mates to charter out of the Grenadines this winter, but no one is able to afford it, and I don't fancy doing it on my own as I do enjoy the aspect of larger cruises, and the many people we met onboard and have made long lasting friendships with over the years we've cruised . So, now I'm looking at Windstar as a possible inbetween sailing option (won't have to cook <lol>). Tho' I doubt we'll have any heeling like we would with a sailboat. Correct me if I'm wrong <lol>.

So, reading this thread has made me feel more comfortable with perhaps going ahead with booking our trip. All depends on how our present search on land here goes for our next sailboat (upgrading, we have '2 footitize') and if we can afford a trip down south (I will find away - had no winter break last year - and felt cheated).

Just curious if there is anyone here that also owns a sailboat like ourselves and enjoys the pampering of a larger power/sailboat cruise?

Anna aka Lolly Pop

Rubato - Great discussion thread. My hubby and I have cruised on many "floating cities" over the years like yourself - but since we started sailing our own boat 5 years ago - the big boats just don't quite do it for us anymore. We often are gazing at charter sailboats at ports (even visiting the marinas to talk to fellow sailors) and wishing we were on them. We did try to get a few other sailing mates to charter out of the Grenadines this winter, but no one is able to afford it, and I don't fancy doing it on my own as I do enjoy the aspect of larger cruises, and the many people we met onboard and have made long lasting friendships with over the years we've cruised . So, now I'm looking at Windstar as a possible inbetween sailing option (won't have to cook <lol>). Tho' I doubt we'll have any heeling like we would with a sailboat. Correct me if I'm wrong <lol>.

So, reading this thread has made me feel more comfortable with perhaps going ahead with booking our trip. All depends on how our present search on land here goes for our next sailboat (upgrading, we have '2 footitize') and if we can afford a trip down south (I will find away - had no winter break last year - and felt cheated).

Just curious if there is anyone here that also owns a sailboat like ourselves and enjoys the pampering of a larger power/sailboat cruise?

Anna aka Lolly Pop

Hello Anna,

We don't own a sailboat, but my husband has been a sailboat racer for 35 years or so. He crews on Tartan 10s and Etchells in Chicago and Miami. When we first met back in 2001 he had never been on a cruise and he swore he would never go on one. Then, because of the sails, I convinced him to try Windstar (one of the 2 smaller ships) from Istanbul to Athens. After that he (and I) were hooked! You can see from my history how many we have been on. We both just LOVE Windstar! Our only complaint now is that we have done most of their itineraries and we would like some new ones.

We also enjoy the sports platform off the back where you can take out one of their small Pico boats or a kayak or water ski or swim.

We have met many other sailing enthusiasts and sailboat owners on our Windstar trips and I bet you will, too.

Give Windstar a try - I bet you'll love it!

Smooth sailing!

This sounds absolutely incredible!! But no one has responded to pricing questions....drinks etc? It sounds like it's worth it either way! Can't wait to experience it for myself!

Pricing for what? Drink prices were just posted and can be found in a thread right on the front page of this forum, just a few thread under this one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=885023

• 4 weeks later...
I had a fabulous time on Windstar, and will do it again soon. It was, without a doubt, the most relaxing cruise I've ever been on. Here's what I loved about Windstar:

1. The passengers. Being on a smaller ship, you get to really meet people. Every single person I met on our cruise was so nice.. and very interesting to talk to. Many had their own businesses.. although I met a doctor and an actress too.

2. The staff is wonderful. They give you the "personal touch." They remember if you like tea or coffee for breakfast, they call you by name, and they're very friendly.

3. The accomodations. You have a flat screen TV, an ipod docking station (you can borrow a fully loaded ipod!), a DVD machine (you can borrow movies), and the beds.. ohhhhhhh... the beds...... mmmmmmmm....

they're fluffy, with down filled pillows. Oh boy are they comfortable! And in the bathroom, you get L'occitane products, which I LOVE!

4. They pamper you. You come in from the beach.. expect a cool, moist towel to greet you. They trip over themselves to make you feel comfortable. You get fresh fruit in your room. They had a barbq out on the beach for us one day. They make you feel like a rockstar.

5. The pool is quiet. No blaring music.. just the lap of the ocean and the sound of the breeze. Read a book or go to sleep.

6. The food. It was REALLY good! One night, they had a big dinner on the deck with lobster, steak, chicken, pork, and just about anything you can think of.

7. The sports deck. You can swim off the back of the ship under calm conditions. (I did this twice, and loved it!) You can use their toys (kiyak, sailboat, etc).

8. You are welcome in the helm. You can watch the Captain and crew as they helm the ship. They'll explain how the computerized sails work.

It's an experience like no other. Do it.. definately do it!!!

Q. Is there any major difference on Windstar regarding Deck 1 vs. Deck 2?

We're about to book for Sept. 2010 Istanbul to Athens. Thanks! ~Bunky645

Nope... From what I understand, there is no significant difference in the cabins between Deck 1 & 2. I've only ever stayed in Deck 2; I really like it, so I'll continue staying on Deck 2 as long as it's cheaper.

One difference between them would be that deck 1 is one floor closer to the main public areas (the only public area I can think of on Deck 2 would be the spa), so there is less stair-climbing. (This may be preferable to people who might have mobility issues with too many stairs.)

Also, in rougher seas, the Deck 2 portholes sometimes are splashed with water or are briefly underwater... I've been on Wind Star during rough seas and this didn't bother me at all.

I can't really see any reason to go with Deck 1 over Deck 2, but maybe some others will chime in with differing opinions (especially if they've stayed on both decks).

• 1 month later...
Hello, we are considering the Windstar for our next cruise, but my question. Do you feel the ship moving, which could result in sea sickness. Thank you, John

John,

I did B2B cruises on Windstar in the Med this summer and I was amazed at how little movement one notices. Having done a dozen previous cruises on a variety of lines I think Windstar has a fabulous product which is reflected in the high percentage of repeat cruisers.

Cheers,

Mark

Nope... From what I understand, there is no significant difference in the cabins between Deck 1 & 2. I've only ever stayed in Deck 2; I really like it, so I'll continue staying on Deck 2 as long as it's cheaper.

One difference between them would be that deck 1 is one floor closer to the main public areas (the only public area I can think of on Deck 2 would be the spa), so there is less stair-climbing. (This may be preferable to people who might have mobility issues with too many stairs.)

Also, in rougher seas, the Deck 2 portholes sometimes are splashed with water or are briefly underwater... I've been on Wind Star during rough seas and this didn't bother me at all.

I can't really see any reason to go with Deck 1 over Deck 2, but maybe some others will chime in with differing opinions (especially if they've stayed on both decks).

I think this quote has the decks reversed. On the Surf at least, Deck 1 is category B (cheaper) and Deck 2 is category A. The category B cabins are spacious and fine, Also, on the surf there are elevators so the mobility issue would not be a problem there.

Overall, I found the activity level on TA Windstar a little on the low side but still immensely enjoyed the trip. On a port-intensive cruise the activity level would be just fine.

I think this quote has the decks reversed. On the Surf at least, Deck 1 is category B (cheaper) and Deck 2 is category A. The category B cabins are spacious and fine, Also, on the surf there are elevators so the mobility issue would not be a problem there.

Overall, I found the activity level on TA Windstar a little on the low side but still immensely enjoyed the trip. On a port-intensive cruise the activity level would be just fine.

Absolutely right, I reversed the decks. Deck 1 is the lower deck; deck 2 is the one closer to the bulk of the public areas. Apologies.

I, for one, prefer fewer ports and more at-sea time (down time), so the more of this, the better for me (I love to lounge, nap, read, play cards, watch movies). But I think if you prefer lots of pre-arranged entertainment, then Windstar may not be the best bet (especially on a non-port-intensive itinerary).

• 1 month later...

We've sailed on Windstar twice, once for 2 weeks in Europe and once in the Caribbean. It's perfect for us--privacy, nice size cabins, great food, nice passengers, excellent staff, reasonable pricing and no big mob scene. If you like the night life, like to boogie, gamble, art auctions, classes, etc. this isn't for you. Such a huge difference from the horror of a 2,000 passenger floating hotel! Many comments already made really spell out how loyal most Windstar passengers are.

As for cabin location, all cabins but the Owners are the same. We had the Owners once, was nice to have double the room and the price was right. But the regular cabins on the lowest deck of Windstar and Windspirit are great for us too. Less motion (less motion than I experienced on the Holland American Westerdam,) and also an extra flight of stairs to climb gives you an extra workout, if you are up to that. We like that so we book on the lowest deck. Never any issues with noise or motion. I found the water splashing across the porthole was wild, and I loved that!

Archived