I Love, love, love Carnival and will cruise them forever

G'ma

I'm sorry' date=' but I don't have a CLUE about this reference????:o

And, it couldn't be me.....I've been gone for 6 weeks........[/quote']

Yes it was you and there were a few postings but here's one with the basis of my question.Feel free to read your prior posting sin that thread and you will understand fully. Here's the link.... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20310218&postcount=169

and heres the whole page.....

Quote:Originally Posted by G'ma viewpost.gif

My son has lived on Maui for 9 years....one of the most relaxed places in the world where Muu-muu and shorts are de rigeur for almost anything. On my many visits there, I found this dress to be acceptable ALMOST everywhere.

However, at fine restaurants and dining establishments, at indoor concert venues and other like places, it's totally different.

They dress.....long pants, short sleeved or guayabara shirts, shoes (not sneakers or flip-flops). You'll see women in nice sundresses or nice slacks and a blouse.

It makes no difference where you live; decorum is decorum

Originally Posted by G'ma viewpost.gif

My son has lived on Maui for 9 years....one of the most relaxed places in the world where Muu-muu and shorts are de rigeur for almost anything. On my many visits there, I found this dress to be acceptable ALMOST everywhere.

However, at fine restaurants and dining establishments, at indoor concert venues and other like places, it's totally different.

They dress.....long pants, short sleeved or guayabara shirts, shoes (not sneakers or flip-flops). You'll see women in nice sundresses or nice slacks and a blouse.

It makes no difference where you live; decorum is decorum......

Still waiting for the name of those 5 Star dress up eating establishments in Maui.

My brother inlaw lives there as well and the nicest places are the luau's at almost $100 a head,but thats real casual.:confused:

Steve

Why do people have to bash eachother? I believe we all have something in common....our love of cruising! No matter what your cruise line preference is - it's still the same love for beautiful ships, great experiences, incredible beaches, good food.....etc.

I thought this site and these threads were intended for us to express our opinions, and to respectfully guiding each other away from bad experiences and to good ones like when in Puerto Rico stay go to the Coach shop or when in Grand Caymen we didn't like this excursion.........

It's not politics, it's not religion, it's cruising!

I do like Carnival, but I think the OP's attitude is a little Pollyana-ish. Carnival is a little like my DH - I love him, but he's not perfect.

Sure, it's over-the-top.... So are the moaners and complainers......that's the whole point.

Nobody ever had a "completely ruined" cruise because of a missed port, an undercooked steak, no ice in their bucket or they didn't like the entertainment. No one ever had the "worst experience of their life" if the OBC wasn't credited, they didn't get a lower price or they never saw their room steward. The cruise experience isn't "trashed" if the slide is closed, or the drink they ordered in the dining room took 10 minutes to arrive...or their shore excursion wasn't what they thought it should be.

Those who cruise or travel a lot know that there are probably going to be bumps along the way. They are prepared for the fact that there is no such thing as a "perfect" vacation or cruise. They know that when ship happens, much will be done to correct any mishap by those who work on the ship.....

They don't stomp their feet, threaten to sue, demand a free cruise, refund or OBC. They don't trash everyone from the room steward to the CEO...and they don't pull their auto-tips because there wasn't enough ice in their water.

Having spent the bulk of my life in the air, on a ship, a train or enroute to somewhere, there is nothing "polly anna-ish" about me when it comes to travel. But, I've never NOT enjoyed my journeys anywhere, under any conditions. Travel is a blast!!!! It's the most fun anyone can have. It's a shame that so many are simply malcontents who wouldn't be happy anywhere and who spoil their own vacation.

Thus the point of my post. I've always had a great time on Carnival....they do a great job. I've also had a great time on other ships too.

I don't know of the thread to which you refer but I can give you two

The Formal Dining Room in Lanai City, Hi, requires a coat and tie for dinner

La Mer located in Halekulani Hotel states a long sleeved collared shirt or jacket are required.

From both websites they look pretty upscale and formal for me.

The thread is posted a few replies back and for clarification it was limited to the island of Maui. I have never heard of the Formal dining room in Lanai city,but Halekulani is on the main island, Honolulu.

Steve

Nice post, but you do realize you just jinxed yourself on your next cruise. :) haha. You better knock on some wood or something. :)

Believe me, about the only thing I haven't experienced is being hijacked by pirates. (There was a 6 hour incident at the Russian border crossing coming from Finland once---but that's not about cruising).

The point is my cruise experiences have all been great and I've always found ships personnel friendly, service wonderful, food very good. Carnival has ALWAYS provided a great vacation for me. It's up to me to enjoy it.......

I love the Carnival Cheerleaders 'cause they are so...um objective, yeah thats the word. Rah, rah, rah, GO CARNIVAL!!! ;)

This has been a paid endorsement just as the highlighted post was.

Oh, tedjazz, you're such a pessimist. Honestly, now.

Paid endorsement? I wish. I'd love to work for them..but, I retired from all that several years ago......

Sold....lol I know I will have a great first cruise on Carnival...

We picked Carnival for our 50th anniversary group cruise for lots of reasons:

1) They have an outstanding Camp Carnival program. Our grandchildren on

past Carnival cruises enjoyed the staff & their experiences there so

much that they didn't want to leave.

2) Love their bedding. They came out with those wonderful duvets and

pillows before our other favorite cruiseline.

3) We love the free ice cream on Carnival. On other cruiselines, there

are only certain times you can have "free" icecream

4) Do they still have free cappucinos at meal time? I hope so. It beats paying $2-3 for a speciality coffee.

5) We enjoy the festivities at dinner time with the singing & dancing by

waiters & guests joining in for the fun. Dining on other cruiselines has

been much more sedate.

6) Carnival is called the "fun ship" line for good reason. We might be

seniors but we still enjoy a good time. Their parties are definitely

party-time. Fellow passengers we have noted are quite friendly.

7) Service and food standards are equal to those we have experienced

on Royal Caribbean & Princess.

& I could go on..........& on.............

Great thread! With all of your cruises have you had the pleasure of sailing with Ken Byrne as the maitre d?? Awesome and I wish they were all as good as he is.....

I gotta tell ya the truth; I rarely remember Maitre'd's or CD's for that matter.

I recall one CD who was such a big-mouth and made l-o-n-g and loud announcements all day...who was so annoying. I cruised once with John Heald -- who is more than a CD, believe me.

The reason "Mr. V, the Maitre'd" stands out is because he was the only one I've ever been around who didn't come off as a stuffed-shirt....and was the ONLY one I ever saw who got involved with the wait staff and passengers in the dining room... While they've always been accommodating and polite, he was FUN.

Yes it was you and there were a few postings but here's one with the basis of my question.Feel free to read your prior posting sin that thread and you will understand fully. Here's the link.... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20310218&postcount=169

and heres the whole page.....

Quote:Originally Posted by G'ma viewpost.gif

It makes no difference where you live; decorum is decorum

Originally Posted by G'ma viewpost.gif

It makes no difference where you live; decorum is decorum......

Still waiting for the name of those 5 Star dress up eating establishments in Maui.

My brother inlaw lives there as well and the nicest places are the luau's at almost $100 a head,but thats real casual.:confused:

Steve

Well, Gerard's comes to mind immediately......Jackets required - and the Prince Court at the Maui Prince in Kihei -- great brunch, jacket required....

As for the Luau's, they are mostly for the tourists......

I guess the discussion must have been about dress codes on cruise ships.....a tired, tired subject anyway.

I must be unlucky. I sure can't say that Iv always had excellent service and my cabins have always been clean. Had trouble last time on Conquest, turned out he had us late dinner and we changed, but I talked to him 4 times before he fixed the problem and cleaned before 10:30 pm, very slow and not very bright.

Iv also had trouble with cabin stewards on every other line, so luckily its not a deal breaker. 2 times ago on RCL it was the girls 2nd week and turned out she was seasick the whole week. After 4 days of not emptying trash I asked her if she knew that was trash, in case she thought we were using the trash cans for storage ... thats when she told me she had been seasick all week.

Not a big deal ..... but saying everything on 66 cruises has always been perfect to me seems like nothing but BS.

I agree totally with you fly. While I enjoy Carnival and for the most part everything has gone pretty well in our 20 cruises, I think it would be impossible to say that 66 cruises went absolutely flawless.

Well' date=' Gerard's comes to mind immediately......Jackets required - and the Prince Court at the Maui Prince in Kihei -- great brunch, jacket required....

I guess the discussion must have been about dress codes on cruise ships.....a tired, tired subject anyway.

thats what I was thinking when he said $100 a head luaus', he was talking about tourist traps. Actually I went to many many lauau, mostly all summer long. I lived local. But they never charged. For auntie's birthday, first birthday, graduation from HS, you name it, they had a luau. Loved the raw fish and singing. I lived there, mostly in the country raising roosters, for about 10 years. No dress up where I lived ... just cotton mumu's.

People tend to forget this is Cruise "Critic", not "Cruise everything is hunky dory Critic"

crit⋅ic

   /ˈkrɪtthinsp.pngɪk/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled Pronunciation [krit-ik] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA Use critic in a Sentence

–noun 1. a person who judges, evaluates, or criticizes: a poor critic of men. 2. a person who judges, evaluates, or analyzes literary or artistic works, dramatic or musical performances, or the like, esp. for a newspaper or magazine. 3. a person who tends too readily to make captious, trivial, or harsh judgments; faultfinder.

So, Cruise Critic is about the GOOD, and the BAD, and for all other information to help others.

Now can we all get a grip!:rolleyes:

I'll put in my 2 cents...

Being a "humble" bartender ;) with 2 college students, I don't have a large vacation budget, but September will be my 4th cruise in 2 years...All on Carnival... Thank You Carnival! Carnival gives absolutely great value for the dollar... it is affordable and I have always recieved fabulous and courteous service and I am very observant of service (even if I don't punish poor service with poor tips...just not in me)...But I digress.. We have always looked forward to the food and if one or another thing wasn't to our liking there was literally a TON of other options...Sushi, deli, pizza, ribs, indian cousine, buffet, CHOCOLATE BUFFET...(OMGGGGGGGGG I CAN'T WAIT)...excellent meals at dinner and in the main dining room at other times...We have had 2nd helpings of lobster without feeling guilty (thanks to reading these boards!) We enjoy the shows, trivia, all the lido deck activities, the dance club, the piano bar, watching karaoke, the ports. We have never, ever been bored...Our room has ALWAYS been made up at a minimum of two times a day... which really surprised us! Always looked forward to what towel animals would be waiting for us when we did return... our waitstaff always knew our favorite beverage after the first night...never yet came upon the slightest grouchiness in a single crew members attitude. Helpful assistance at the photo shop...great deals on all kinds of purchases ( just have to know when to buy) **lol** After reading back I know I sound like a secret Carnival employee but I am real...Vacations are what you make of them and I am sure I would have a great time on any line, but for my budget I can go on twice as many vacations on Carnival than anywhere else...

We have a group looking for a Mediterrean Cruise, May 2010. We wanted to check out Carnival - are they not planning to cruise to Europe in 2010?:confused:

For now they have cut them out for 2010, and I believe that is still the case. I too wish they would wise up and go back during the summer months as it was the best cruise experience we have had and since I have done about 3 med cruises, I do have something to compare to. It is the only way to economically see Europe.

So to the Carnival decision makers reading this thread..........WE WILL BE SPENDING OUR MONEY IN 2012 and it with be in the MED. If you want our money please come back, if not, we will still go, but it may not be on one of your cruise lines unless it is Carnival. Do you own Celebrity?

If you want our money please come back, if not, we will still go, but it may not be on one of your cruise lines unless it is Carnival. Do you own Celebrity?

Celebrity is owned by RCL. lol

Its a cruiseline I want to try, wish they would come to Galveston. There are some real deals out of Florida I get.

Boy am I glad to hear from you! We're are booked for next year on the Carnival Conquest and I've been reading from this board and WOW what a difference of option is listed. Thanks for reafirming our plans are good ones for our first cruise. Bless You !!!

Well' date=' Gerard's comes to mind immediately......Jackets required - and the Prince Court at the Maui Prince in Kihei -- great brunch, jacket required....

I guess the discussion must have been about dress codes on cruise ships.....a tired, tired subject anyway.[/quote']

I thought you might say the Prince court.:) But....they have changed their dress code.Here it is......PRINCE COURT - Our award-winning fine dining restaurant, the Prince Court, features a seasonal menu. In summer, the emphasis is on freshest seafood from Maui waters - tuna, snapper, and even deep-water lobster. The winter menu offers surprises of game: venison, pheasant and lamb. Evening Resort Attire, collared shirt, dress shorts or slacks acceptable. Closed Tuesdays

Thanks for replying.

Steve

I must be unlucky. I sure can't say that Iv always had excellent service and my cabins have always been clean. Had trouble last time on Conquest, turned out he had us late dinner and we changed, but I talked to him 4 times before he fixed the problem and cleaned before 10:30 pm, very slow and not very bright.

Iv also had trouble with cabin stewards on every other line, so luckily its not a deal breaker. 2 times ago on RCL it was the girls 2nd week and turned out she was seasick the whole week. After 4 days of not emptying trash I asked her if she knew that was trash, in case she thought we were using the trash cans for storage ... thats when she told me she had been seasick all week.

Not a big deal ..... but saying everything on 66 cruises has always been perfect to me seems like nothing but BS.

This is supposed the be a post about the positive things! The little things that bother some people don't bother others, so I will also say that all of my cruises have been perfect. I am not going to let anything minor bring down my vacation.

thats what I was thinking when he said $100 a head luaus', he was talking about tourist traps. Actually I went to many many lauau, mostly all summer long. I lived local. But they never charged. For auntie's birthday, first birthday, graduation from HS, you name it, they had a luau. Loved the raw fish and singing. I lived there, mostly in the country raising roosters, for about 10 years. No dress up where I lived ... just cotton mumu's.

So true. I was never a fan of Hawaii until my son moved there about 9 years ago. He has shown me so many places on Maui, Kauai that tourists never see. Last time I visited, there was a huge luau up in the mountains near a Buddhist shrine.....People brought food, musical instuments, a wonderful slack guitar group, it was great.... Also went to a local luau celebration in Hana where friends of my son were honoring their 25th anniversary.

Once you get away from the tourist places, Hawaii becomes a different and wonderful place of bare feet and muumuu's....relaxed living, friendly people and NO traffic.....

My son loves it there....said he'll never move back to the mainland. When he comes to visit, he does like to borrow or rent a car and drive a lot. Not much driving in Maui....HA! He doesn't even own a car but gets around with his Honda Nightwing motorcyle.... His wife (whom he met and married there) has a pickup truck that she uses in her landscaping business but for everyday getting around, she has a Honda too.

Also went to a local luau celebration in Hana where friends of my son were honoring their 25th anniversary. .

I loved Hana. Drove there with my local b/f I lived with there when we visited maui. We never went barefoot, but I did wear slippers, for taking off entering someone's house. Tennis shoes dont work over there lol. So, I guess I was bare foot in their house if thats what you refer to. I mostly lived windward side on Oahu, very local area, then moved to northshore, but we went to all the islands. Very fun. I wanted to stay forever too, but only stayed about 10 years. This is one thing you and I agree on!! :D

I loved Hana. Drove there with my local b/f I lived with there when we visited maui. We never went barefoot, but I did wear slippers, for taking off entering someone's house. Tennis shoes dont work over there lol. So, I guess I was bare foot in their house if thats what you refer to. I mostly lived windward side on Oahu, very local area, then moved to northshore, but we went to all the islands. Very fun. I wanted to stay forever too, but only stayed about 10 years. This is one thing you and I agree on!! :D

I know he won't be coming back. About 4 years ago, he bought a cleaning business that sub-contracts out cleaning rental condos. Up to that point, he worked several jobs....diving instructor, worked on a tour boat, managed a couple health food stores, worked with activity desks at some of the resorts, etc....just enjoying his time off and not working too hard.

He and his wife are buying a small piece of property (talk about real estate prices....WOW) and, eventually, will build something small and manageable to live in. He's made a lot of friends and has made Maui his home......

Darn, I miss him but I'm so happy for him living the life he loves.:)

I really love Carnival...I agree with NanCan..

Carnival offers a LOT of bang for the buck

The food, the service, the friendly people....what's not to like?

I even like the decor...over the top, but fun..it is a vacation!

If I wanted to sit in a subdued place I would hang out at funeral homes

sure there are things I would like to see changed...but really Carnival has sooo

many good things...Love it and Can't wait for the Destiny

He and his wife are buying a small piece of property (talk about real estate prices....WOW) and' date=' eventually, will build something small and manageable to live in. He's made a lot of friends and has made Maui his home......:)[/quote']

the first house I bought over there, was 1/4 of a lot, I kid you not :eek: three little bity houses on the same lot.... but two were in disrepair. 3/4 of the lot owned by local Hawaiian famililies who said a haoule (sp? white person) from the mainland couldnt own with them and they tried to take it away from me. I had the only livable house on the small lot. One bedroom ... would you believe we had up to 3 foster kids in that house at a time??!! In two bunks in the living room and a crib. I now know the art of wall to wall furniture. .. but it was so fun over there I can't tell you how much I enjoying living there. I miss the whole thing. But my parents need me now. so my nomad days are over.

• 3 weeks later...
Free?

I wish.

I received a free cruise once. Back in the mid 90's, we booked on Premiere Cruise Big Red Boat. I don't remember the year...I think it was 1996, but it may have been 1997. Anyway, when we go to the pier, some authority said that they couldn't cruise because of some problem with the sprinkler systems. Crying kids (and adults) were everywhere. They put us up in Orlando and gave us free tickets to Disney or Universal (our choice) for 2 days and paid for our hotel for the length that the cruise should have been (4 days I think). Then, to top it off, we got a refund of our original cruise and a free cruise that we had to use within a year. We took that cruise the following year. My son was 5 or 6 when we finally got to take the cruise. They did let us on the ship for lunch and to look around the top of the ship, but they didn't open the casino or any of the other areas.

Archived