What made you miss your Carnival Roll Call Meet and Greet?

ManyMore

My first cruise I knew nothing of CC.

Second cruise was our honeymoon. Had a great RC group and was looking forward to the M&G. Unfortunately it was scheduled for embarkation day. There was some kind of snag with customs and ship crew so nobody got on the ship until after 1. We didn't get on until close to 4 and had to rush to get to muster. The group did end up getting in contact by phone and scheduling a meet up at the Past Cruiser party. After the weeks leading up to the wedding, the wedding itself, and driving 4 hours to cruise the morning after, we were SO pooped. We did meet up with the group and had a great time, but I could barely tell you half of what happened. lol. I know we laughed a lot and it was fun, no I wasn't drunk, but I can't remember a good portion of the night.

Our last cruise, our RC was really small and I didn't connect with them much. Our M&G was scheduled for the first day. We were traveling with our 6 month old baby and it was WAY past her naptime, so that took priority.

On a HUGE RC this year, for our Sept 6th cruise, with a bunch of GREAT people and looking forward to our first sea day M&G. Like many of you, DH is not big into he "internet friends" thing, but I imagine he will tough it out for a bit.

Lots of us join the roll calls for our ship and cruise but often never make it there and never meet anyone they made friends with prior to the cruise. I really hope we have a good number show up for ours so I thought.... let's see what causes most to miss it so we can try and avoid as much of that as possible. What made you miss yours?

We missed our rollcall because we took the Carnival transfer from Houston to Galveston, and it was so late, that by the time we got in our room, it was time for muster drill, when we took our life vests back to our room, the ship was pulling out of the dock, and we went to the balcony to watch the sail away, and we were starving because we hadn't had any lunch. The meet and greet was supposed to be right after muster drill. It might have been going on while we were in line trying to get a burger!:(

Elena

Lots of us join the roll calls for our ship and cruise but often never make it there and never meet anyone they made friends with prior to the cruise. I really hope we have a good number show up for ours so I thought.... let's see what causes most to miss it so we can try and avoid as much of that as possible. What made you miss yours?

We were part of a group of 28 it's so hard to get a group that large to do anything at a certain time. We had a sail away party that lasted way into the meet and greet we had planned.

We missed ours because we're super unorganized and can't stick to a schedule if our lives depended on it. By the time we got on the ship, I had totally forgotten when and where it was and we proceeded to just walk around and didn't remember....

... but you somehow managed to get to the ship on time ! ;)

Everyone has different priorities - if a M&G is not truly important to someone, they won't show. It's as simple as that. The more active someone is in the roll call, the more likely they are to show up - though it's no guarantee. I am the kind of person that, if I say I am going to be somewhere, I will be there... some people take that "responsibility" more lightly than others!

Tom

We looked for ours, but couldn't find it. We even had on Mardi Gras beads, but no one found us either...

I agree with other posters who said any time near sail-away isn't a good idea. But we were on a port-intensive itinerary that would have made any other day impossible. Kind of a Catch-22 situation. Sail-away or someone's dinner time...

How friendly were you on the roll call?

Actually, I was rather friendly at first. I was even talking about doing private tours with some of the others.

Then some people who knew each other joined the roll call...and after that everyone was talking about drinking etc. and their kids and hockey games.

I pretty much became a lurker...didn't bother posting as the trip got closer.

I figured my husband and I wouldn't have anything in common with the group on land...so why bother at sea?

To be honest...we really aren't into small talk and idle chit chat with strangers. Life, and a cruise, is just too short for that....... :)

I have actually not been apart of any meet & greet until now. Or at least I'm part of the roll call for this next one we're on. We'll see if there is a meet n greet for it. I'm sure we'll attend, depending on when it's being held.

I have to agree-- having a Meet and Greet on the day we set sail is just too hard for me. We usually have so much going on that I just want to get into vacation mode first-- then meet and greet. The next morning would be ideal!

My reason also. I think a Meet'n'Greet on sail day is ridiculous, unless later on after the ship is at sea maybe. Many paxs are beat on the first day, then have to crowd a M&G into exploring the ship, eating something from the buffet, getting a few drinks, unpacking, and sailaway. Too hectic I think.

A very successful one I enjoyed, met the FIRST SEA DAY at 10:00am on the Aft Lido Deck of the PRIDE near the starboard stairway. Many showed up, rested from the previous hectic day, could bring food from the buffet right through the doorway for a late breakfast, could get a drink at the bar, jump in the adult pool or jacuzzi, or just enjoy the open sea while waiting for everyone to show.

If you go to the ROLL CALL, one can also get an idea if you even want to meet these people (or if they want to meet you :rolleyes:). I'm not a teatotaler, but tend to get a little turned off by people who have spent the last 6 months going on and on about how drunk they're going to be for 7 days ! ! :eek:

(MY POINTS IN RED ABOVE!!) I too agree that it would be nice if they would have the M&G's later in the cruise (next day is fine). To much to do and explore when first boarding the ship thru the evening of the first day. Also, my dh and I don't drink and the one time I 'dragged' him to the gathering... some were already on their 3-4th DOD's and acting a little 'too friendly'. I don't mind people enjoying themselves when first boarding, but being drunk in just a few hours... I just don't understand! Oh well... to each his own!

I have to agree-- having a Meet and Greet on the day we set sail is just too hard for me. We usually have so much going on that I just want to get into vacation mode first-- then meet and greet. The next morning would be ideal!

I'll agree also. I had hoped to go on the M&G but didn't show. I was just too tired, too hyper, too much into getting to know the ship and getting orientated. (Ours was scheduled right after muster.)

After 20+ cruises, we have never gone to a M&G. We want to start our vacaion without having a schedule before we even leave. I am a very outgoing person, but not so much with people that I have only "met" over the computer.

After 20+ cruises, we have never gone to a M&G. We want to start our vacaion without having a schedule before we even leave. I am a very outgoing person, but not so much with people that I have only "met" over the computer.

You may want to give it a try. You never know - you might, as we have, end up booking cruises together with some of those you meet! Granted, there will be plenty with whom you don't click.

My thought is - after putting in months (or years in a couple of cases) talking to some people, I look forward to meeting them. You aren't obligated to make any plans with them, and most are not likely to stalk you during the cruise (though a couple have "appeared" more often than seems likely)!! :D

Tom

We haven't sailed Carnival since discovering Cruise Critic. On Celebrity, the cruiseline invited our Cruise Critic group to a reception. Does Carnival do this? Is this what the meet and greet is? We hope to sail on either the Spirit or Splendor in January.

We will often set up 2 M&G's. One in the aft bar before and after sail away, on the next day in the lobby bar.

The first day there is always a good chance that the Funship Specials will have their way with me, but I've yet to miss the 1st day M&G. The second one? I usually can make it, but sometimes I'm distracted by all the great things the ship has to offer.

Nice thread btw thanks for thinking of it!!!

Carole

We haven't sailed Carnival since discovering Cruise Critic. On Celebrity' date=' the cruiseline invited our Cruise Critic group to a reception. Does Carnival do this? Is this what the meet and greet is? We hope to sail on either the Spirit or Splendor in January.[/quote']

We enjoyed, on the Constellation, the Meet and Mingle which the cruise line sets up with people on Cruise Critic (and official group photo)!

It would be nice if Carnival did this on 7+ night sailings, but alas they leave it up to the individual. You can arrange ahead of time to have them reserve a space for a meeting - but it's not a sure thing. You would need to contact the groups department at Carnival to make the inquiry. We have done this for our 12/3/09 Dream sailing - and have over 70 individuals who have indicated that they will be there. I have a good feeling that most will follow through.

Tom

I attended a M&G on the Pride in May; eventhough I might about 5 or 6 people, later found out that others showed up but didn't realize who we were. Need away to identify folks (but I want/can't wear beads).

Meet and Greets are really a hit or miss proposition. I have been to several. Some were great and others were dismal failures. I guess it all depends on your group and the types attending. I have met people at the meeting who I later saw daily while on the cruise. Other folks, you meet once and never see again. Strange.

There is no good time to hold the Meet & Greet. We tried the 2 pm to boat drill but the late arrivals missed the gathering. If you hold it after the boat drill, there is little time for the Early Dinner people. Then you get the complaints that the cruisers want to see the ship leaving the port. If you hold it during the next day or later in the week, you interfere with some one's activities.

Most times, it is held on the Aft Lido Deck. Not a great place but actually there is not much choice any more. Lately, Carnival has restricted you to the buffet and Lido area while the rooms are being prepared. On the Freedom, the other decks were closed to access until the ship was ready.

I guess a lot depends on how the Roll Call is going. If you get cruisers who are active on it, your Meet & Greet is usually successful. If there is little participation, the Meet & Greet won't be much either.

On our March, 2010 cruise I am going to recommend we do the $10 Meet & Greet thing with Carnival. You get to use a lounge for an hour and they provide some goodies.

I have set up many different Meet and Greets.

I have had the most success with getting people to wear Mard-Gras beads during debarkation and the rest of the first day. This has helped people identify each other.

Then I set up three different Meet and Greets. The first one is by the aft pool during Sail-Away, the second one is around 11 AM in the piano bar during Day 2, and the third one is in the piano bar on the evening of day 2 after the first show and before the second show (around 9 PM).

I used to have pretty good success getting people to show up for at least one of the Meet and Greets but on our last few cruises, nobody has showed up to any of them. On our last cruise out of New Orleans, I couldn't even get people to wear Mardi-Gras beads. Go figure.

I don't get it. It makes me not want to mess with putting Meet and Greets together.

Mark

The reason people on the New Orleans cruise did not wear Mardi-Gras beads is because no meet-n-greet was set up. It was a very small roll call, I only booked 3 weeks out and the roll call was only 2 pages. It got a little active but we never decided to meet. You suggested wearing beads and I recognized you when I saw you on deck. No one on the roll call said they would wear beads, I think it was a misunderstanding on your part. I don't even own a pair of Mardi-Gras beads and would not wear them on the ship if I did. Mardi-Gras is big in Mobile and we only wear beads that we catch at the parades, during the parade.

I have only been on 4 roll calls and have showed up for the ones that I said I would. I am going to meet Tom-n-Cheryl, and I hope a lot of others on our Dream cruise. I'm with Tom, if you say you are going to be there, than be there. If I know I can't make it I would say so. I don't think you can ever pick a time that is great for everyone, so you just do the best you can.

We've missed 2 M&G on Carnival. First one we missed was my DH's first time on a Carnival ship and he wanted to explore and the time flew by. The second was last year and, just prior to the M&G I needed to attend to a medical issue, went to the cabin and had brown water and then didn't get out until plumbers came, etc.

This next M&G is being held at sail away and we probably won't go to it since we always spend sail away on our balcony....it's a shame though.

On the Island Princess, it was the first sea day at 11AM and we got a fair number there. Many decided to do shore excursions together and one group was two cabins down from us! That one was a fun M&G!

... I am going to meet Tom-n-Cheryl, and I hope a lot of others on our Dream cruise. I'm with Tom, if you say you are going to be there, than be there...

We are JUST ABOUT to break into our DOUBLE DIGIT countdown!! :D

The Dream sets sail next month -- after that it's going to come fast! I am (and I suspect MANY people are) looking forward to reviews and pictures from those first few sailings.

Tom

We missed ours because of a hurricane! They shortened our cruise by 2 days & then there was a huge delay in boarding the ship.

was this last year's gustav cruise? we got on that cruise as a last minute cruise to nowhere and missed the meet and greet because of the chaos getting onto the ship!

other meet and greets we've missed have mostly been due to delays at the port. causing us to sail late, putting the muster dunring the time we were to meet.

Right there with you guys!

We have been to a couple of dozen... have not missed one yet, and don't intend to. It would have to be a MAJOR situation for a T-n-C "No-Show"!

Tom

I can atest to that! Been to a few M & G's with t-n-c!

Hey how are you guys, been to

fish Lips lately?

For me, and I suspect a lot of other people, it is the people that I travel with that "cause" me to miss the m&g. Like many here, I am usually the one in my group that frequents CC and am the planner, etc.

That means I am usually the only one in my group who has posted on the roll call, and the only one who a m&g would mean anything to. Therefore, I wind up not going...

I can atest to that! Been to a few M & G's with t-n-c!

Hey how are you guys, been to

fish Lips lately?

HEY Jerry!

I don't think we have been to FishLips this year - we have made it to Rusty's a few times ... enjoyed wing/oysters/fish dip and Coronas while watching the ships leave port! It's really rough living 20 minutes away from all the activity!!

BTW -- did I ever send you the photos (of you guys) from our last Legend cruise together? If not, send me an email at gatrnol@hotmail.com

Tom

For me, and I suspect a lot of other people, it is the people that I travel with that "cause" me to miss the m&g. Like many here, I am usually the one in my group that frequents CC and am the planner, etc.

That means I am usually the only one in my group who has posted on the roll call, and the only one who a m&g would mean anything to. Therefore, I wind up not going...

Sounds very familiar to me. ;)

Archived