The 8-Day WHILRWIND Mystery Tour on the 8/15 Freedom. A review. With pics!

CeleBrat

wow - Samantha Brown has some competition! If they ever need a replacement for her on their travel shows, I am betting you could fill her shoes!

Great review, and I am looking forward to more - more - more! I am sailing on the Freedom in less than 3 weeks, and we are so ready to go!

I believe my daughter and I sailed with you on the Legend in 2007. You were part of our Roll Call, but we never did meet. I am sailing with a group from the Legend from 2007, we all went on the Glory last year and now on the Freedom on Sept. 12th 2009. I am thoroughly enjoying your review. Can't wait for more. You have a lovely family.

Wonderful job and a fabulous attitude. I can't understand why people get upset that a ship has to sail around a storm. I would much prefer that to going into a hurricane. But, I am like you, an over planner. I would not know what to do w/ switched ports. Looking forward to the rest.

Celebrat, great review. In answer to your jelly fiasco (i.e. no jelly) A ship, much like a large resort hotel has a central stores area where they store all of the food, beverages etc they need. On a ship it towards the bottom of the ship. Each day they make a "grocery list" for things a particular galley will need for the day (for a ship probably twice or three times a day, for each meal). They then send people to get all of the items on the list. I used to this at a resort and infact I told my fellow workers that "I am going grocery shopping" when I did this

Probably what happened is they forgot to put jelly on the list for that meal time.

We are booked with sister ship Carnival Liberty in January and one of our cabins is 1237. Glad to hear that you liked the location. I have been on the Carnival Glory a few years ago, and I can't seem to remember this secret 2nd floor buffet seating? Was it actually in the fish and chips place, or behind it? We have a large family group and getting any seats close together is usually near impossible. Please let me in on the secret. I promise not to tell anyone.

Loved the review.

Dawnrae

How did you know? We were in #1237. Awesome location! Deck 1 Forward. Nice wide hallways, very little foot traffic. And, the best part, it was only 1 deck above the shoreside gangway. No having to wait/fight for an elevator when coming back onboard after a long (sweaty) day on land.

CeleBrat

I agree...getting on and off the ship at ports was so convenient! I also liked that we were only two flights below the dining room and Victoriana Lounge.

It was quite a ways to get to the Lido buffet...but after the long walk I could justify an extra dessert!

I glanced into some of the ocean view cabins and there is quite a difference in size between those and the insides. We were OK with the inside since it was just the 2 of us...but I was a little sorry we didn't pay just a bit more and get the ocean view. The extra room and couch would have been nice.

We are booked with sister ship Carnival Liberty in January and one of our cabins is 1237. Glad to hear that you liked the location. I have been on the Carnival Glory a few years ago, and I can't seem to remember this secret 2nd floor buffet seating? Was it actually in the fish and chips place, or behind it? We have a large family group and getting any seats close together is usually near impossible. Please let me in on the secret. I promise not to tell anyone.

Loved the review.

Dawnrae

I am not Celebrat but I know the answer is the Fish and Chips place. Hardly anyone knows about this area. You pretty much can always find seating up there. When Randall and I went up there for fish and chips, we noticed how little the seats were used and made it "our private seating areas."

Julie

I am not Celebrat but I know the answer is the Fish and Chips place. Hardly anyone knows about this area. You pretty much can always find seating up there. When Randall and I went up there for fish and chips, we noticed how little the seats were used and made it "our private seating areas."

Julie

We had the same experience on the Liberty... There were far less people on the upper part of the dining area...

Thanks for the info, Julie. I do remember the Fish and Chips as having lots of vacant seats. We will be sure to make use of it also.

Dawnrae

You are welcome! We headed straight to the fish and chips place when we boarded the Carnival Freedom. I wanted a Bud light and fish n chips...after a computer glitch with the sign and sale cards was fixed I got both of my requests!

Loving your review. We took our whole family on the Conquest over New Years out of Galveston. Our two granddaughters, ages 2 & 7 were a hit everywhere on the ship. Dinner for them everynight consisted of 7 yro cheesburger w/ fries and 2 yro pizza with fries. 7 yro did try a soup every night and 2 yro would eat some steak from anyone's plate. Your kids are adorable and looking like they are having a blast!!! Your review brings back memories.

CeleBrat...Do you live in Savannah? I live nearby, and would be happy to make an unscheduled stop here...But it won't happen. They are not propared for large cruise ships. EM

Hi Essiesmom---

Please don't think I am anti-Savannah. I (((heart)))) Savannah. Such a great place to visit---by car--on a trip from our house in Florida. It just wouldn't hold the same appeal if we stopped there on a ship.

I think I have Savannah on the brain because I recall one crazy hurricane-esque situation that played out here on the boards when a Disney ship got rerouted up north during tropical weather. I remember them being so upset about going to Savannah and Charleston (is that on the coast?)

Anyway--big props to Savannah for being a cool place!

CeleBrat

Thanks for this amazing review. As busy as you are, you are finding the time for such a detailed review with pictures.

Ha! You say that now---before knowing it is going to take 10 days to get this entire review posted!

I am enjoying your review. We sail on the Freedom on September 6 and I am hoping for good weather.

BTW, I LOVE Savannah and would be tickled with a stop there. :D

Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather for you--even though you wouldn't mind Savannah :rolleyes:

OH my goodness....great review

Thanks! I'm having fun writing it.

Archived