Question About Priceline

I'm beginning to agree with you. May just take it tonight - depending on whether or not that same price comes up. Would be nice to know where I can lay my head in Rome.

$132 for a 4 star in Central Rome. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!!;)

One thing about Italian hotel ratings: they are VERY different from US ratings. In Italy, there is a government office that does the rating. It is only based on a checklist of available facilities at the hotel (bathroom in each room, elevator, restuarant, etc). What you think a 4 star is versus what you actually get can be VERY different.

As an example, I had a chance to tour southren Italy a few years back. I made all the reservations and did an OK job. But there was the hotel in Naples...this place had a 24 hour desk, restuarant, individual bathrooms, etc. However, the bathrooms had been last update in the 30s (?) with nothing more than a bare lightbulb on a string to light the room. The room had wallpaper about the same age and a bed that made a Hugh V when you laid down. The balcony, with enough room to hold a single person, overlooked a hotel across the street with the paramilitary standing out in front every night. In the US this would have been a 1 star place.

Now I am not saying I did not have fun; Naples is a very lively place...but I did feel I needed to warn you

jake: you make a good point but the star ratings referred to here are the PL ratings for the property versus its own criteria, not the criteria used locally. We have found them to be very consistent when we book through PL.

I will keep you updated here on CC. I'm not aloud to rebid until after 11:00 pm MST because of the 24 hour lockout. I believe I started sometime around 8:00 pm - but because of life - I keep getting back later and later. This site is definitely addictice - kind of like CC.

One way to get around the 24 hour lockout is to -add- an area of Rome that does not have any 4 star hotels (I'm not sure if there is one). If you add this area to your bidding, you can re-bid without danger of getting a 4 star in that new area. In a case like that, they would only give you a better hotel if no 4 stars were available, not a worse one.

But of course that can be tricky and you must proceed with caution. I always review my bids carefully, twice, before clicking that button. Once they accept your offer, there is no turning back!

One way to get around the 24 hour lockout is to -add- an area of Rome that does not have any 4 star hotels (I'm not sure if there is one). If you add this area to your bidding, you can re-bid without danger of getting a 4 star in that new area. In a case like that, they would only give you a better hotel if no 4 stars were available, not a worse one.

But of course that can be tricky and you must proceed with caution. I always review my bids carefully, twice, before clicking that button. Once they accept your offer, there is no turning back!

You do have to be cautious when adding different areas than where you actually want to stay. Priceline star levels can change and hotels are often not on the lists found on "bidding for travel" and "better bidding." I've learned this the hard way in the past. Although the hotels I ended up winning have always been acceptable. Many more hotels are using Priceline these days due to the recession.

Tonight I bid $110 and the reply was I was within $22 of succeeding. I am having such fun with this process, I'm going to just keep raising the bid by $1.

I'm only willing to have Central Rome and a four star, so I guess you could say that I'm a little bit picky. Too afraid to add any other area just in case I get it. Ouch! Thanks for all the good info and taking the time to look it up. On my way over to betterbidding now.

You might try just outside the walls of the old city. We stayed at the beverly hills hotel in Rome and found it to be a very nice hotel. It was a 3 star hotel. It had wonderful resturants around it.

Well I took the advice of another poster and decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth and took the hotel for $131. It is the Mecenate Palace Hotel in central Rome - quite close to the Termini Station which we will be using frequently.

The price was almost the same as on Expedia so I'm not sure that I saved a ton of money, but... it looks gorgeous and I now have a room to lay my head.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I had a lot of fun with the process. May try for a hotel in Barcelona now, or may just go with one of the hotel websites.

Well I took the advice of another poster and decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth and took the hotel for $131. It is the Mecenate Palace Hotel in central Rome - quite close to the Termini Station which we will be using frequently.

The price was almost the same as on Expedia so I'm not sure that I saved a ton of money, but... it looks gorgeous and I now have a room to lay my head.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I had a lot of fun with the process. May try for a hotel in Barcelona now, or may just go with one of the hotel websites.

Bidding for a hotel in Barcelona is risky. For that city I would book directly on the hotels web site. We like to be right on Las Ramblas in the middle of all the action. We've stayed at the Hotel Continental and have been very satisfied.

I was a little worried about bidding Barcelona on Priceline so will take your advice and go to the hotel web site. Will try for the Hotel Continental - wish me luck.

Bidding for a hotel in Barcelona is risky. For that city I would book directly on the hotels web site. We like to be right on Las Ramblas in the middle of all the action. We've stayed at the Hotel Continental and have been very satisfied.

We are only in Rome for three days so will purchase the Roma Pass. We are good walkers so hopefully between the metro and bus, we will see all the main sights. Have been to Rome before (past April) so know exactly which sights and where they are (okay, one of us better be a good map reader) that I want to share with hubby.

Vatican is our main goal and the Colisseum - with the other tourist sights in between. We are booking a Vatican Museum and Basilica tour, but doing the rest on our own. May book a Colisseum tour also.

How many days will you be in Rome? In that location, I strongly recommend the RomaPass, which gives you both admission to some main attractions included or for a reduced rate PLUS a transportation pass. You are a pretty loooooooooong walk from a lot of the things that you'll want to see.

We are only in Rome for three days so will purchase the Roma Pass. We are good walkers so hopefully between the metro and bus, we will see all the main sights. Have been to Rome before (past April) so know exactly which sights and where they are (okay, one of us better be a good map reader) that I want to share with hubby.

Vatican is our main goal and the Colisseum - with the other tourist sights in between. We are booking a Vatican Museum and Basilica tour, but doing the rest on our own. May book a Colisseum tour also.

A recommendation for the Colosseum:

The RomaPass gives you two free admissions, then 25% off the next ones. The Colosseum is one of the most expensive places, so do that first, and get it for free!

Another thing: If you haven't been there yet (or even if you have, as far as I am concerned!), GO TO THE GALLERIA (VILLA) BORGHESE!!!!!! You must make advanced reservations, but have your hotel concierge do it for you, and have him tell them that you'll be using your RomaPass. (the website makes you pay on site immediately)

I recommend a specific map: (it has an excellent street listing)

http://www.amazon.com/Rome-Laminated-City-Center-Map/dp/3897075342/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251495757&sr=1-26

513543T7H1L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

It is laminated VERY well and will last forever, no matter how you misfold and abuse it.

Hi Calgary3,

Just as a "heads-up" for the next time: I always check the lists of possible hotels I might win at betterbidding and biddingfortravel. After that follow up with search at tripadvisor for ratings (ignoring the absolute best and worst of the reviews), and then check the hotel websites directly for their best price.

We are also in Rome before our Equinox TA Nov. 1-4. Knowing that I might land the Mecenate Palace on Priceline, I looked at their own website (google search) and booked it directly -- superior room with breakfast for €105 per night incl. all taxes -- ca. $150. Definitely not more than PL this time, and including breakfast. It's just another way to use all your options.

BTW -- I am a devoted Priceline user -- from Sydney, Australia to Hamburg, Germany (definitely over 150 nights won on PL), but sometimes it's not the best or only possibility.:)

[quote name='kewlguy']You do have to be cautious when adding different areas than where you actually want to stay. Priceline star levels can change and hotels are often not on the lists found on "bidding for travel" and "better bidding." I've learned this the hard way in the past. Although the hotels I ended up winning have always been acceptable. Many more hotels are using Priceline these days due to the recession.[/quote]

Yes I wouldn't advise that the star levels on either site substitute for Priceline's website. This would be a case where someone was bidding on a 3 star hotel, and wanted to add another area in order to get a second bid in before the 24 hours was up.

In this case, if you are bidding 3*, and if you added another area with no 3* in that area according to Priceline, you would have no chance of getting this area because you are excluding 2.5* and down. (although you are not excluding 4* if it is in this area, because Priceline would only 'upgrade' you, they wouldn't downgrade you)

When you click on 'area' during the bidding process on Priceline, it will show you what hotels are available according to the number of stars. I take your point that the levels can change but if you are bidding on a 3* hotel and there are none available in that additional area, I don't think anything can happen (besides possibly getting a 4* hotel in that additional area).

[quote name='marci22']Yes I wouldn't advise that the star levels on either site substitute for Priceline's website. This would be a case where someone was bidding on a 3 star hotel, and wanted to add another area in order to get a second bid in before the 24 hours was up.

In this case, if you are bidding 3*, and if you added another area with no 3* in that area according to Priceline, you would have no chance of getting this area because you are excluding 2.5* and down. (although you are not excluding 4* if it is in this area, because Priceline would only 'upgrade' you, they wouldn't downgrade you)

When you click on 'area' during the bidding process on Priceline, it will show you [SIZE=4][B]what hotels are available[/B][/SIZE] according to the number of stars. I take your point that the levels can change but if you are bidding on a 3* hotel and there are none available in that additional area, I don't think anything can happen (besides possibly getting a 4* hotel in that additional area).[/quote]

Unless I am misunderstanding your explanation, Priceline will [B]never[/B] show you - in advance - what hotels are available in any given area or zone. They [B]will[/B] indicate whether a certain area has hotel possibilities with 4*, 3* etc.

Great information - thank you so much. Cruise Critic is simply the best place to hang out.

[quote name='John Henry on CC'][URL]http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=2[/URL]

Roma Pass

The three day is PERFECT for you![/quote]

[quote name='sjalex20']I will say that Priceline does sometimes have surprises up their sleeve but it is not always a happy surprise. I just got home tonight from a weekend in San Diego and was not over-joyed with my 4 star hotel they gave me, however it is the risk I took and I saved a lot. It was not bad and was a nice brand name chain of hotels, I would just put the actual room at a 3 star level, not a 4 and from the better bidding website I thought (hoped) it would be a different hotel. Just me being picky:) The hotel I got was on Priceline's list of hotels when you go in to make a regular booking (ie. not name you own price). You are bidding at a 4 star level so the hotel you get should be nice, clean and safe and a mid to higher end hotel. As a general rule for myself I will not book less than a 3.5 star on either website as they sometimes elevated a hotel's star level by a 1/2 star. For example La Quinta is not a 3 star hotel to me but is sold as one on both sites per BetterBidding's website. Just my opinion:) Happy bidding![/quote]

Can I ask you what hotel you got? We also booked 2 nights in San Diego thru PL & got the Omni. The reviews sounded really good. Hope it isn't a disappointment. Thanks.

This was the first time I ever used Price Line and obviously didn't do as much research as I could have. However, learned a bunch and will, hopefully, do better second time around. Will definitely check out the sites you and previous posters mentioned. Thanks so much for the help.

The hotel looks gorgeous and I'm pleased with the PL choice. Hope I qualify for breakfast. :)

[quote name='TenerifeSharon']Hi Calgary3,
Just as a "heads-up" for the next time: I always check the lists of possible hotels I might win at betterbidding and biddingfortravel. After that follow up with search at tripadvisor for ratings (ignoring the absolute best and worst of the reviews), and then check the hotel websites directly for their best price.
We are also in Rome before our Equinox TA Nov. 1-4. Knowing that I might land the Mecenate Palace on Priceline, I looked at their own website (google search) and booked it directly -- superior room with breakfast for €105 per night incl. all taxes -- ca. $150. Definitely not more than PL this time, and including breakfast. It's just another way to use all your options.
BTW -- I am a devoted Priceline user -- from Sydney, Australia to Hamburg, Germany (definitely over 150 nights won on PL), but sometimes it's not the best or only possibility.:)[/quote]

I have bookmarked this site and you are right - it does seem perfect for our three days. Borgese Gardens have been added to the list. Whew, I'm tired already - good thing I have a nice hotel to crash in.

I have one of the laminated maps from AMA (kind of like your CAA, I think) and you are right - just won't wear out. I do admit it is about four years old, but then again how much do things really change in Rome? :D

[quote name='John Henry on CC'][URL]http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=2[/URL]

Roma Pass

The three day is PERFECT for you![/quote]

[quote name='TenerifeSharon']Unless I am misunderstanding your explanation, Priceline will [B]never[/B] show you - in advance - what hotels are available in any given area or zone. They [B]will[/B] indicate whether a certain area has hotel possibilities with 4*, 3* etc.[/quote]

I said, "...what hotels are available [I]according to the number of stars[/I]", not according to [I]name. [/I]

They do not tell you the name ahead of time if you are using "Name Your Own Price".

So I guess you misunderstood what I was trying to communicate. I really do try to be so specific in my posts, and I often revise, revise, revise, revise! --but it is still so hard to get everyone on the same page.

So let me continue to explain and say if you are bidding in a large city, with many different 'areas', and you want a 3* hotel, and you use up your bid for the 24 hours, and you want to make another bid, right away, you can check by doing a 'fake' booking as we do here on cc, just to see if another area does not have any 3* and above hotels. Now, you can 'add' this area to your bid, generating a new bid opportunity, and you have no chance of getting anything in that new area. They will NOT downgrade you, they will only upgrade you. So if you are adding maybe a less-desirable area that has no 3* or 4* hotels, you cannot be given this area because you have bid on 3* and up. I am saying this in different ways in order to facilitate understanding.

I hope everyone understands this explanation because it is a good tip to use if you are bidding in a large city and you need another bid right away, and the conditions apply!

Someone will still write back and say, "you never know your hotel on Priceline!" Oh well. I tried.

[quote name='IMANITA']Can I ask you what hotel you got? We also booked 2 nights in San Diego thru PL & got the Omni. The reviews sounded really good. Hope it isn't a disappointment. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

We also won the Omni in San Diego on Priceline. The reviews on Trip Advisor are outstanding.

My husband and I have used Priceline for a number of years and never been disappointed. We have twice had great hotels in London at Heathrow airport for around 50.00 to 60.00 US and they were wonderful. We are at the Sheraton at Heathrow for an upcoming TA from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale and are very happy with it. The hotels they show in the star catagory you choose will be one of the ones you win. Don't give in to early if you have a lot of time. We've been know to finally get one cheaper then a prior bid. Good Luck!!
Gerry
[quote name='Calgary3']I am bidding on a four star hotel in Rome - without any success I might add - but I have a lot of time before I need the hotel. Before bidding I checked out all of the four star hotels on Priceline's website for Central Rome. Of the 18 hotels listed - 15 of them appear to be quite good and the other three are acceptable.

My question is, when I win my bid - will the hotel be from Priceline's list of 4 stars in this area? Or do they sometimes have surprises up their sleeve?

Thanks for any help you can give me.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Calgary3']I have bookmarked this site and you are right - it does seem perfect for our three days. Borgese Gardens have been added to the list. Whew, I'm tired already - good thing I have a nice hotel to crash in.

I have one of the laminated maps from AMA (kind of like your CAA, I think) and you are right - just won't wear out. I do admit it is about four years old, but then again how much do things really change in Rome? :D[/quote]

Actually, they are finally building a Linea C for the subway, but they will probably never finish it (they keep hitting valuable ruins, of course, every time they dig!), so your four-year-old map is probably perfectly good!

Archived