Climbing the Acropolis

wayward traveler

So silly me, I thought the thing on the right was a hand rail!

We've come to expect too much in the US for the ADA, based on my personal experience in Europe. I don't want to see any historic treasures marred, but I am surprised at how difficult it is to get around in Europe.

I do have a question...how the heck did they build those walls so many years ago? That's the part that really strikes awe in my heart...how DID they do all this!

There are no bathrooms past the ticket windows. There are a few water fountains at the top..... but we took our own. And even found some shade.....a few scraggly trees and shadows from buildings/structures.

Actually there is a very nice, and clean bathroom up top on the Acropolis. It's located on the side of where the old Acropolis Museum is. The museum is no longer open due to the opening of the New Acropolis Museum. But if you are standing facing the entrance to the old Museum (there's a chain across the entrance and a sign stating that it's closed), to the left hand side, you'll see a sign for the WC. You have to take the stairs down (not more than 10 steps or so) and you'll see men's and women's bathrooms.

I had known ahead of time that restrooms existed there from my previous trip to the Acropolis, but had thought that perhaps they may have closed when the museum closed, but nope, they were open. And since it is a bit hidden and the fact that the museum was closed, hardly anyone knew at all that they were there.

glad someone found & posted that picture--scary isn't it!

appreciate the info re bathrooms-- if its hot & we are drinking water--we may need them.. I think all ships excursion brochures should include this info--

another friend today underscored the slippery aspect of the steps so hopefully we can be careful & not have any mishaps...as a poster above mentioned--going down can be more difficult if you have depth perception, or progressive lense eyeglasses...

Hi,

We will be in Athens ~Nov and want to visit the Acropolis. We've signed up for a tour guide since we won't have much time. I will be traveling with 2 grandparents with bad knees. How long does it take to get up to the Parthenon/Propylaea (30 mins) going at a slow pace? and how long do you think I will need up there to see everything and soak up the wonder? Also, I can't tell from the comments whether it is easier to get up the northern or southeastern entrance?

Are you with a licensed guide, or just a driver? There are many excellent drivers but they are not licensed and cannot go up the Acropolis with you. We were with a licensed guide so we had her the whole trip.

That was before my knee surgery so I was very limited and a slow climber. However I really don't think it was more than 15 minutes up and 15 minutes down, even at my slow pace. Soaking up the wonder at the top ... wow, depends on you. Our guide probably spent half an hour describing the Parthenon and the associated temples, and then gave us about half an hour to wander and soak up, as well as take in the views from all sides. We went in the south side, our van basically dropping us almost at the base of the Propylea, and then out the north side into the Plaka. Not sure just where the Acropolis stopped and the Plaka began, but it was quite a lengthy walk (down hill for us but would be uphill if you enter that way.) It is, however, the more interesting section.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

I'm not sure, but I believe our driver is a licensed guide who will take us up to the Acropolis or else we have both a driver and a guide. Thanks for the advice, I'll check with them to make sure we're going up the southern entrance. =)

As far as having a licensed guide, it sort of reminds me of the little girl who was assigned to make a book report on a book about Penguins. Her report, in total, was: "This book told me more about penguins than I really wanted to know."

We did have a licensed guide, and she certainly told us a lot about penguins ... ooops, I mean ancient monuments. If you have a deep interest in history and archeology it was very interesting. But in all honesty, there are many excellent guidebooks that will allow you to soak up as much, OR as little, as you want on your own. It is up to you.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hubby has artificial leg but walks oK. Would he (with us) be able to use the elevator without doc's certificate by showing them the leg?

I asked your question on sister website tripadvisor's Athens forum, which has many local participants (DE's, Destination Experts who live in Athens), because I recalled reading once on that forum that you have to pre-book the elevator.

The answer I received from one of the local DE's, who has over 15,000 posts, was that you need to make an appointment by calling the following telephone number: (0030)2103214172.

Hope this helps!

Pam

Archived