Climbing the Acropolis

wayward traveler

We are doing the last cruise of the year Nov 14 - Nov 28. Anyone else? Also has anyone some info to share on the difficuly/ease of walking up to the Acropolis?

Thanks

1st time posting

Welcome to Cruisecritic. :D You will find a wealth of information here !

My first suggestion is to go back to the main forum page and find the 'ROLL CALL' section. Find your cruiseline and click on that. Then find your ship and click on that. Then find your sailing date and click on that. That is where you will find all the people on the same sailing as you. You can chat with them all you want prior to your trip. Many people share tours, rides to and from the airport/port etc..... easier and saves $$$

Second. I was concerned prior to going to Athens about the "climb" too.

While I have no mobility issues - I am not exactly "in shape" either. I found it to be easier than I expected. It was May so not as hot as summer but since you are going in Nov. that won't be a problem either. Take water, a hat and just stop and rest when you want. There are plenty of places to do that.

Hope this helps !

Some of the difficulty in climbing to the top of the Acropolis comes from how you get there. If you are going into Athens on your own, then there are a number different metro stops you can get off at that can make the climb less steep.

If you enter the Acroplis through the main entrance, the climb is uphill, but there's only one set of steps (at the Propylea). Since it's more of a ramp-up then stairs up, it's not too bad. However, the grounds at the top of the Acropolis can be uneven and rocky, so be careful.

And I am also assuming that you were meaning to ask about the Acropolis in Athens and not the one in Lindos on the Greek island of Rhodes, correct? They are both called the Acropolis.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Climbing the Acropolis was much easier than we expected. It is not actually much of a climb at all - the main problem is unlevel ground, mainly because it is slippery marble. Many people slipped and hurt themselves the day we were there. PLEASE wear sensible shoes ie, sports shoes or similar. Take each step with care when walking around and you will be fine. Have a great day :)

We climbed it with my 85 year old father in law and his artificial hips, so I guess not a bad climb at all. The day we were there it was well over 100 degrees F, however, so that is a whole other story. I'm sure your visit will be much more pleasant!

The easiest climb is up the southern rather than northern slope. If you use the southeast entrance by the Acropoli metro stop, you will save about 100 steps, because you already are starting further up the hill plus there are many gradual slopes and far fewer stairs.

I investigated the three alternatives last fall because my spouse has a depth-perception issue when climbing up and down stairs, especially going down.

However, all paths lead to the small Propyleia entrance, where things can get a bit crowded, but highly unlikely in November.

Just be careful particularly if you are there on a rainy day, when all that ancient stone can be very, very slippery.

Hello Waywardtraveler! If I am right in thinking you are cruising on Azamara Quest, please click here for our roll call and read through at least some of our ten pages. The link is to page ten!

And feel free to email me if you have any questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=849899&page=10

I have an arthritic knee. After climbing the 20 or so steps to the ticket booth, our guide said there were about 80 more steps to go. At that point, I chose not to continue to the top. Although I might make it up, I was concerned about making it down. My knee was in really poor shape and this was the end of the cruise.

I then learned that there is an elevator, but you must show a doctor's note to use it. If only I knew!

The rest of the group said I made the right choice to stay behind. They reported it to be very hot, very crowded and very slippery. If it is like other European sites, there are inadequate handrails, too.

I encourage you to go, if you are able, but I don't regret my decision, either. BTW, there is a nice cafe at the bottom where DH and I sat and had coffee, tea and apple pie.

If you enter the Acroplis through the main entrance, the climb is uphill, but there's only one set of steps (at the Propylea). Since it's more of a ramp-up then stairs up, it's not too bad.

Could you specify which is the "main entrance?" As I understand it, there is an entrance on the north side, nearer the Agora and one on the south side, near the new museum, which I believe is the one referred to by CintiPam. Which one is "main?"

I then learned that there is an elevator, but you must show a doctor's note to use it. If only I knew!

They reported it to be very hot, very crowded and very slippery. If it is like other European sites, there are inadequate handrails, too.

Have you seen the elevator ??? I would rather not go to the top than ride that thing :eek: There was a picture posted on here not too long ago.

Inadequate handrails ????? Thats an understatment :o

Could you specify which is the "main entrance?" As I understand it, there is an entrance on the north side, nearer the Agora and one on the south side, near the new museum, which I believe is the one referred to by CintiPam. Which one is "main?"

I was referring to the entrance on the North Side where there is a large ticket booth as well as a few other buildings, I think with restrooms and maybe locker storage or something like that.

The entrance on the south side by the new museum, I believe only has one small ticket booth. If you enter through that direction, you're just really making a leisurely walk uphill basically via switchbacks. The uphill climb is steady, never really getting too steep. And you get to walk through some ruins as well. There is the really nice Theater of Dionysis there.

Either way, regardless of what direction you enter the Acropolis from, you will still need to walk up the steps of the Propylea.

BTW, don't miss the new museum. I really enjoyed it and thought that they did an amazing job putting it together. And the views of the Acropolis through the glass windows are stunning.

We are doing the last cruise of the year Nov 14 - Nov 28. Anyone else? Also has anyone some info to share on the difficuly/ease of walking up to the Acropolis?

Thanks

1st time posting

I'll echo the comments of on of the other posters, the marble is some places is extremely slick. We were there on a dry sunny day and I had rubber sole shoes and it was still slippery. Be careful...

I was referring to the entrance on the North Side where there is a large ticket booth as well as a few other buildings, I think with restrooms and maybe locker storage or something like that.

The entrance on the south side by the new museum, I believe only has one small ticket booth. If you enter through that direction, you're just really making a leisurely walk uphill basically via switchbacks. The uphill climb is steady, never really getting too steep. And you get to walk through some ruins as well. There is the really nice Theater of Dionysis there.

Either way, regardless of what direction you enter the Acropolis from, you will still need to walk up the steps of the Propylea.

BTW, don't miss the new museum. I really enjoyed it and thought that they did an amazing job putting it together. And the views of the Acropolis through the glass windows are stunning.

Excellent explanation.

I am so jealous that you got to see the new museum; when we visited in September (at end of a cruise), the first floor was open to titillate you a bit (you could see two of the carytids from afar), and opening had been scheduled for March. We were back in Athens in June (embarking on a cruise), but unfortunately a few weeks before the opening which ended up being in late June. And only one Euro through all of 2009!

Ok, so if we have a private driver for the day, where should we make sure he drops us off??? The easiest way up??? I understand there are not hand rails going up the 80 or so stairs. Is this true???

Thanks

Cheryl

A couple of handrails on the southern entrance climb perhaps, but none where you really need them at the Propylea, where all the paths from the entrances come together and it can get pretty dicey if there are crowds.

At the time we climbed the Acropolis I was waiting for knee replacement surgery. Every step was painful for me with bone grinding against bone. Nevertheless, I DID make the climb! This is one of the world's great sites, and if anyone possibly can do it they should.

There are a lot of steps. I heard 185 instead of 80 ... but there definitely are a lot. As has been said, they are slippery marble and few handrails, sometimes ropes, sometimes none. There are usually lots of people in a sort of ragged line which moves pretty slowly so you don't have to hurry. If wise ass young people racing up with backpacks choose to push past you, let them! Even if you do not usually use a cane, I would recommend one for these steps. It is also true that the top is uneven and slippery.

For a picture -- that may be daunting but I also hope encouraging -- check out http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

There are a lot of steps. I heard 185 instead of 80 ... but there definitely are a lot. As has been said, they are slippery marble and few handrails, sometimes ropes, sometimes none. There are usually lots of people in a sort of ragged line which moves pretty slowly so you don't have to hurry.

....For a picture -- that may be daunting but I also hope encouraging -- check out http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hi, Mike, I really enjoyed looking at your pictures and captions in your link. They really provide a true sense of your experience that day.

The saved approximately 100 steps are if you use the southeastern entrance (the one near the Akropoli metro stop) to start your ascent. Although we were staying near the Monastiraki metro stop, we used this entrance because my spouse has severe depth perception issues on stairs. This switchback style climb was very gradual, and you only climbed a couple of dozen steps max before arriving at the Propylea, where all paths converged.

Have you seen the elevator ??? I would rather not go to the top than ride that thing :eek: There was a picture posted on here not too long ago.

Inadequate handrails ????? Thats an understatment :o

What does the elevator look like? I could not find the picture on the boards. Thank you.

Someone definitely posted it somewhere on these boards (either here or Royal C or Celebrity--only places I post)-- keep searching around for it. In this case one pic is worth many words It was frightening--sort of a solo upright cable car---

I will try the steps myself & wonder which route the ship's excursions generally take?

Also are there bathrooms along the way & if so what are they like

Thanks

2917720540091120326BppkPC_th.jpg

Here is the pic.....did a search and found it. SCARY huh??????

There are no bathrooms past the ticket windows. There are a few water fountains at the top..... but we took our own. And even found some shade.....a few scraggly trees and shadows from buildings/structures.

We went up the long side (Monistriki station side) but it just wasnt that bad. Was expecting much worse from the info here.....

There are no bathrooms past the ticket windows. There are a few water fountains at the top..... but we took our own. And even found some shade.....a few scraggly trees and shadows from buildings/structures.

We went up the long side (Monistriki station side) but it just wasnt that bad. Was expecting much worse from the info here.....

I think I will pass on this mode of transportation. Thank you so much.

Hi,

We will be in Athens ~Nov and want to visit the Acropolis. We've signed up for a tour guide since we won't have much time. I will be traveling with 2 grandparents with bad knees. How long does it take to get up to the Parthenon/Propylaea (30 mins) going at a slow pace? and how long do you think I will need up there to see everything and soak up the wonder? Also, I can't tell from the comments whether it is easier to get up the northern or southeastern entrance?

Many thanks!

Kathy

OMG! There were 3 folks in our group who used this, and they never said anything about it, afterwards. Like I said, I made my decision and I don't regret it. Decide for yourself...but carry a note from the doctor just in case!

Actually was looking at this pic again.......found it VERY funny how many steps you must go up to get to the elevator :eek: Oh well......their version of ADA/handicap accessible :D

The little cart that the woman is standing on in the picture will take you up those stairs via the rails you can see on the right, so you don't have to walk up the steps. Sort of like those lifts you can have installed in your home to take you up stairs.

Archived