Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Any good non-chain Italian restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale....for fun, nice food, and atmosphere???? Just regular stuff nothing fancy.

Lou

Fort Lauderdale is a large area. I like the food at Umberto's on E. Commercial Blvd., but I wouldn't call it "fun". If you are staying by the port, Bravo Italiano is popular among cruisers.

Royalcruz,

Just discovered that I can also get the Marriott Courtyard Ft Lauderdale Beach (Seabreeze Blvd) for a little less than the Gallery One for our Feb 2 night pre cruise. How would your compare these two, with respect to amenities, appearance, and location? (Not renting a car). Thanks again.

The Gallery One is a little nicer/newer, but the Courtyard is also a great choice. Courtyard is further from a CVS (6 blocks), but has a cute pool deck, is right at the beach, and a 4 block walk will put you in the middle of the Fort Lauderdale day/night beach front action and entertainment. Coconuts restaurant is really close and is a tourist favorite, offering casual dining on the intracoastal. If you are a beach person or young, you would probably much prefer the location. It's much more touristy.

Royalcruz, I was wondering if you are familiar with the Ft. Lauderdale beach area of 401 North Ft. Lauderdale Beach Blvd. we are staying at the "W" Ft. Lauderdale Beach hotel in Oct. and want to know how far to Port Everglades and if we should take a cab or call Sas transportation to and from airport and cruise terminal . We were told it's only about 20 min. to the port from the hotel. We have used Sas before and were very happy. Thanks for any input you may have.

Royalcruz,

Is the weather Feb 19-21 typically warm enough to get in some beach time during the day? Thanks

For me it is too cold, but for tourists it might not be. It is typically anywhere in the 70s and very breezy. This winter, the warmer days have brought rain.

Royalcruz, I was wondering if you are familiar with the Ft. Lauderdale beach area of 401 North Ft. Lauderdale Beach Blvd. we are staying at the "W" Ft. Lauderdale Beach hotel in Oct. and want to know how far to Port Everglades and if we should take a cab or call Sas transportation to and from airport and cruise terminal . We were told it's only about 20 min. to the port from the hotel. We have used Sas before and were very happy. Thanks for any input you may have.

It's really close. The W is about 3-4 miles north of the Port Everglades north entrance. The only reason it takes 20 minutes is the traffic. There are cabs lined up between the W and the Hilton. So you might want to use SAS for some trips, but not neccessarily to the port. A cab should cost less than $25, and there are doormen to help you get one.

I am wondering about Cambria suites. How is that hotel? We are looking at this one because it says we can park our car there. Is that area okay?

What about Comfort Inn Airport Cruise Port South ,2520 Stirling Rd? Is that an okay area?

I know that Vitos north is good. There is a Walgreens close to the hotel that will have chocolate and soda. If you can't find the sodas that you want there, there are grocery stores (Publix and Winn-Dixie) about 4-6 blocks west.

Thanks

:D

Royalcruz,

We are traveling with 2 18yo girls in June (Emerald Princess) and am toying with the idea of staying on Las Olas vs 17th (we have Hyatt place booked for the 89.00 rate) . We are planning to beach it on Sat. if weather permits and then shop and dinner. Hyatt place would require a car...not sure about Riverside hotel. Is the beach walkable from there? How is the beach in that area (looks fairly close to ritz/marriott beach place). How is parking around Las Olas if we Rent a car? Any thoughts or suggestions? (Thinking the girls would love the activity of Las Olas)

anywhere within walking distance of the cruise port for wine purchases? a drug store or source for our indulgence? we are not keen on packing wine in our checked luggage for fear of breakage and our clothes being 'sweetened' by it!:cool:

anywhere within walking distance of the cruise port for wine purchases? a drug store or source for our indulgence? we are not keen on packing wine in our checked luggage for fear of breakage and our clothes being 'sweetened' by it!:cool:

There is a Walgreens a block from the south port entrance. But it's a huge port, so unless you are at one of the pier's right by 17th St., it is not going to be walking distance.

I am wondering about Cambria suites. How is that hotel? We are looking at this one because it says we can park our car there. Is that area okay?

What about Comfort Inn Airport Cruise Port South ,2520 Stirling Rd? Is that an okay area?

The areas are fine. S FL has it's fair share of auto thefts and breakins, but these hotels are not in an area that is worse than any other. I have lived here since 1987 without incident.

Royalcruz,

We are traveling with 2 18yo girls in June (Emerald Princess) and am toying with the idea of staying on Las Olas vs 17th (we have Hyatt place booked for the 89.00 rate) . We are planning to beach it on Sat. if weather permits and then shop and dinner. Hyatt place would require a car...not sure about Riverside hotel. Is the beach walkable from there? How is the beach in that area (looks fairly close to ritz/marriott beach place). How is parking around Las Olas if we Rent a car? Any thoughts or suggestions? (Thinking the girls would love the activity of Las Olas)

Neither hotel is a reasonable walk to the beach, but cabfare would not be high, and you can get the public bus or trolley. The beach by Beach Place is good because you have public restrooms and casual restaurants & shops right across the street. Parking is expensive at the Beach Place garage, but there is plenty of public parking at meters (take dollars and credit cards) at A1A and Las Olas (about $2/hr) and about 2 blocks west of there on Las Olas by the intracoastal (about $1/hr). Las Olas has plenty of parking lots; if you stay at the Riverside, you'll be able to use their garage overnight (probably there is a charge). You can also get between the beach, 17th St., and Las Olas by water taxi. So you don't really NEED a car.

Thanks Royalcruz : )

I finally found a map that had the location of Riverside hotel on it. It looks pretty far inland. Are the 'activities' (Restaur., bars, shops etc) all the way up and down Las Olas. Thinking it might be better to stay at Marriott beach Place for beach proximity and utilize a taxi (or perhaps walk) up to las olas. Thanks for your help!

Edited by sueb

Please help in answering this question:

We booked a hotel through TA and after reading reviews decided to change hotels, glad we did as friends stayed there one night, after i told them about the reviews, they ended up sleepin with the lights on so those bugs they saw would not come out!

ok my question is I just read a new review of the one i changed to and someone mentions that those bugs are there too!

Is it very common or should we change hotels again last minute, and which ones would be the best? HELP

I finally found a map that had the location of Riverside hotel on it. It looks pretty far inland. Are the 'activities' (Restaur., bars, shops etc) all the way up and down Las Olas. Thinking it might be better to stay at Marriott beach Place for beach proximity and utilize a taxi (or perhaps walk) up to las olas. Thanks for your help!

Royalcruz, I'm going to answer my own question here. Did a google search and was able to pull up a large overview of Las Olas. I'm thinking we may look into Hyatt Pier 66 for it's proximity to the River Bus/Las Olas, Airport and Cruiseport. More to think about...

Royal cruz!! AS you live in Ft Launderdale maybe can help us. We are finishing a cruise there and have a flight out of MIAMI INT for San Fran. WE will need transport from cruise to airport and so confused hope you can help!! Either shuttle or taxi belive it is 30 miles in distance?

Thanks

You obviously know Fort Lauderdale so I was wondering if you'd give me a bit of advice. We're coming in for one night before our cruise and I currently have reservations at the Courtyard at the airport and a new Crowne Plaza at the entrance to the seaport. They're both about the same rate and both have a shuttle to the port. I guess I'd like to know about places to eat that one night if there's a big difference in the number of accessible restaurants between the two hotel areas.

Riverside Hotel is right in the middle of the "activities", near the west end. If you walk about .75 mile east you will come to the end of the shops, and then the beach is another mile or so. If you walk west of the hotel, about .75 miles, there is another district that comes alive late at night, Himmarshee Village/2nd St. If you plan to spend a lot of time at the beach, I can understand staying at Beach Place. It's also fun at night in that area, as many of the bars/restaurants are open to the street and have live entertainment, but it's not upscale like Las Olas.

Royalcruz, I'm going to answer my own question here. Did a google search and was able to pull up a large overview of Las Olas. I'm thinking we may look into Hyatt Pier 66 for it's proximity to the River Bus/Las Olas, Airport and Cruiseport. More to think about...

Pier 66 is very nice if you just want to relax around the pool/marina, but is isolated, and not a reasonable walk to the beach. The other properties that you are looking at are more fun to venture out from, and are not much further from the port/airport (less than 3 miles more); I don't think there is any need to be that close to the port or airport for your vacation. I think that your girls would enjoy the other locations more.

Thank you Royalcruz for all your help

We will be sailing on the Eurodam April 3.

Can you find out which pier we might be at? Are we close or far away from the Walgreens that you mentioned?

Thanks!

Princess usually uses the pier that is closest to Walgreens, though they may share it with HAL. I am not able to research this for you, and the pier can change between now and your cruise anyway.

Royal cruz!! AS you live in Ft Launderdale maybe can help us. We are finishing a cruise there and have a flight out of MIAMI INT for San Fran. WE will need transport from cruise to airport and so confused hope you can help!! Either shuttle or taxi belive it is 30 miles in distance?

Thanks

Yes, it is at least 30 miles. Alot of CC members use SAS Transportation; they have a website. I only use private transport, so I have no experience with these services.

You obviously know Fort Lauderdale so I was wondering if you'd give me a bit of advice. We're coming in for one night before our cruise and I currently have reservations at the Courtyard at the airport and a new Crowne Plaza at the entrance to the seaport. They're both about the same rate and both have a shuttle to the port. I guess I'd like to know about places to eat that one night if there's a big difference in the number of accessible restaurants between the two hotel areas.

I don't think there are any restaurants by the Crowne Plaza, and the Courtyard is only near Islamorada Fish Co. (it's about one step above Red Lobster). There are lots of restaurants near Hyatt Place north and Holiday Inn Express Convention Center and I think they have free shuttles.

I appreciate the feedback. I'll look into the other two hotels as well. Anything to say about getting to my ship on embarkation day? Is traffic a zoo at the port or should my shuttle/taxi ride be a fairly short time to get us to our ship? Thanks for being our expert!