Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

we are staying at the Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach April 2,3&4th. I understand there are not many restaurants around or things to do close by. We won't be renting a car since the rates are outrageous ($350 for three days). Can anyone give us advise on the best way to get around and any good restaurants in the area. We love pubs and little bars with good food the best.

Thanks for any help.

It's a good restaurant, but tourist/business prices.

It would be a long, long walk from the hotels on 17th street.

You need to travel around a canal.

two great local FL restaurants for a large group---

Rustic Inn -- casual, specialize in blue crabs

Tropic Inn --Steak, prime rib, seafood, etc.

They do have private areas/rooms if you book ahead.

Both are cab trips away-----

Off 17th St---Bravo--good Italian restaurant

Oops Sorry --not Tropic Inn. I meant Tropical Acres.

Another popular restaurant near Brava is Bimini Boat Yard

we are staying at the Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach April 2,3&4th. I understand there are not many restaurants around or things to do close by. We won't be renting a car since the rates are outrageous ($350 for three days). Can anyone give us advise on the best way to get around and any good restaurants in the area. We love pubs and little bars with good food the best.

Thanks for any help.

The Westin Diplomat is right across the street, on the beach side. There are many dining choices at the hotel, both on the ocean side and the intracoastal side (where the Crowne Plaza is). "Rivals Waterfront Sports Grille," on the same side as the Crowne Plaza (and definitely walking distance), is a great little sports bar/pub. Food is good and reasonable and the setting is lovely.

Check the Westin Diplomat site for more dining choices.

Hi. We are flying into Miami for our cruise out of Port Everglades in April. I'm looking to get a reputable limo service to take us from the airport to our hotel (Westin Beach Resort). We did this once before and it was nice treat to relax after our early morning flight.

Also, they just changed our flight going home out of Miami to 11:50 a.m. :eek: Should we have a car waiting or will we be ok getting a taxi to take us? Should we plan to walk off with our own luggage? Or maybe get the first tags to get off? I only cruised once out of Port Everglades and the taxi situation was a disaster when we were leaving (5 of us trying to get a taxi to FLL airport).

Thanks in advance.

Mary

Edited by emen822

We're a family of four who would like to stay somewhere on the beach for our night before a June 6 cruise and for two nights following. We don't need a spa but direct beach access and pool are pretty important.We stayed at the Marriott Hollywood Beach last time ( Princess' choice). Booking ourselves this time so looking for best options. We will also have to cab to and from airport and cruise port.

Also, other than the beach what should we consider? The 'kids' are aged 21 and 18.

Is there anything Fort Lauderdale is particularly known for?

My husband and I did once go on the Everglades excursion offered by Princess and could do that again if there wre not a more interesting option.

In Fort Lauderdale, Mariott Harbor Beach, Lago Mar, and Sheraton are directly on the beach and close to FLL and Port Everglades. The Sheraton was just renovated and reopened but tends to not be as nice as the others. The advantage of the Sheraton, though, is that it is closer walking distance to the water taxi and Fort Lauderdale strip, for someone who is able to walk up to a mile. The others would be quite a walk. Bahia Mar is even a couple of blocks closer to the strip and right by the water taxi but is across the street from the beach.

Edited by royalcruz

In Fort Lauderdale, Mariott Harbor Beach, Lago Mar, and Sheraton are directly on the beach and close to FLL and Port Everglades. The Sheraton was just renovated and reopened but tends to not be as nice as the others. The advantage of the Sheraton, though, is that it is closer walking distance to the water taxi and Fort Lauderdale strip, for someone who is able to walk up to a mile. The others would be quite a walk. Bahia Mar is even a couple of blocks closer to the strip and right by the water taxi but is across the street from the beach.

Thanks for the insight.It gives a much better picture.

Hi There,

I was just wondering if you know how Sea Club Resort is? I have recent some reviews that weren't postive but that is the case with many Florida hotel. People usually only comment with negatives. I have found many great hotles that had bad reviews but were ok with me.

I don't mind if the place is dated. I just want clean and safe...

Many Thanks

Charleyann

Hi There,

I was just wondering if you know how Sea Club Resort is? I have recent some reviews that weren't postive but that is the case with many Florida hotel. People usually only comment with negatives. I have found many great hotles that had bad reviews but were ok with me.

I don't mind if the place is dated. I just want clean and safe...

Many Thanks

Charleyann

The neighborhood is safe. I wouldn't count on it being clean though, based on the reviews, and based on the way it looks from the outside, and that it is one of the last of the old spring break motels left. I cannot believe they have the audacity to call it a resort. I looked at the pictures on the website and the rooms look like they haven't been remodeled much since the 80s.

We are a family of five going on a cruise on easter. WE are coming in two days early. Do you have any recomendations of what to do with three kids (16,14,8). We are staying at the new Hyatt Place South. Also are their cabs that are vans to utilize and how much are they to get around town, since we can't fit in a regular car cab. thanks

We're also staying at the new Hyatt South in a couple of weeks prior to our cruise. I think I read somewhere on their website that you can use their free shuttle van to get around the area if it's within 5 miles of the hotel. I think we may do that for dinner or quick shopping the night before cruise.

We are a family of five going on a cruise on easter. WE are coming in two days early. Do you have any recomendations of what to do with three kids (16,14,8). We are staying at the new Hyatt Place South. Also are their cabs that are vans to utilize and how much are they to get around town, since we can't fit in a regular car cab. thanks

Check out Boomers which is very close by. They have a website. There is also a movie theatre and Dave & Busters in Oakwood Plaza.

Looking for info on Chima Steakhouse. Looking for a nice for dinner pre-cruise.

thanks

I haven't eaten there because we aren't big meat eaters, but I've only heard good about this place, over and over from everybody. It's about a mile from the east end of the Las Olas shopping and dining district, so it's not easy to combine a dinner there with a stroll on Las Olas. You might find diner's reviews on chowhound.com.

I just found out that Hyatt place south is not offering free shuttle to port. We are family of five so a (car style)cab won't work need van. The Hyatt is charging $8 per person to get to pier- for family that is $40 for a 5-10 minute ride. Are there other shuttle options which would be reliable and cheaper?

Scootsmom, what type of info are you looking for? I work and live within 2 miles of that hotel, and can help you out... There is not a whole lot of stuff within walking distance of that hotel, but there is the Outdoor world right across the street (fishing and hunting paradise), http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&appID=94&storeID=16

which has a restaurant in it as well, the islamarada fish company.... To get there, just cross griffen road and go towards the tri-rail stop and follow the road around to the store...

Also, another restaurant within walking distance is the rustic inn http://www.rusticinn.com/ which is a nice rustic (no pun intended) landmark in south florida, casual dining right next to the water (or inside if you prefer).

Other than those two places, not much within walking distance, but if you can tell me the type of places or activities your looking for, I can help you out.

Donnie

Hi. We are flying into Miami for our cruise out of Port Everglades in April. I'm looking to get a reputable limo service to take us from the airport to our hotel (Westin Beach Resort). We did this once before and it was nice treat to relax after our early morning flight.

Also, they just changed our flight going home out of Miami to 11:50 a.m. :eek: Should we have a car waiting or will we be ok getting a taxi to take us? Should we plan to walk off with our own luggage? Or maybe get the first tags to get off? I only cruised once out of Port Everglades and the taxi situation was a disaster when we were leaving (5 of us trying to get a taxi to FLL airport).

Thanks in advance.

Mary

I'm just posting this again in the hopes someone can give me some assistance. Thanks. :)

Mary

Hi, there! We are trying to decide where to stay the night before our cruise in December. We would like to be close to the port, so the cab won't cost much, and have a place to get water and Cokes nearby within walking distance. But we would also like a place with a liquor store within walking distance, too! (Not asking much are we?) Is there a place that would fit all those criteria?