Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We will be arriving late (11:30 pm.) into FLL the night before we set sail. Can you recommend an inexpensive but clean hotel close to the airport and cruise port? We basically need a place to sleep so a "no frills" hotel with the best location for the airport and port is what we need. Thanks for any advice.

Edited by jroban

We will be arriving late (11:30 pm.) into FLL the night before we set sail. Can you recommend an inexpensive but clean hotel close to the airport and cruise port? We basically need a place to sleep so a "no frills" hotel with the best location for the airport and port is what we need. Thanks for any advice.

You will probably come in too late for any food or free shuttles, so you want the closest and most economical to both airport/cruiseport with mostly good reviews?: Hampton Inn airport north, Holiday Inn Express airport/cruiseport, Sleep Inn Dania Beach. Have a great trip.

I've been trying to research hotels for our Mar 5 overnight before Oasis cruise and our criteria is shuttles from airport to hotel and hotel to port, free hotel breakfast and some grocery store/drug stores nearby (walking) to get water, beer and ideally some restaurants. I'm looking at ...

a) Best Western on Stirling,

b) Hampton on Stirling and

c) Hampton North Airport.

Any thoughts on which would be preferred? THanks

I've been trying to research hotels for our Mar 5 overnight before Oasis cruise and our criteria is shuttles from airport to hotel and hotel to port, free hotel breakfast and some grocery store/drug stores nearby (walking) to get water, beer and ideally some restaurants. I'm looking at ...

a & b: can walk to fast food, TGIFridays, Dave & Busters, Ale House, Sweet Tomatos, diner (not recommended), Kmart, BJs

c: can walk to Winn-Dixie, Big Lots, liquor store, fast food, German restaurant

Just got a great deal on Priceline for the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Airport for our precruise stay. The only downfall is it's not in walking distance to any restaurants. Any restaurants nearby that won't cost too much in cab fare???

Rustic Inn

Tropical Acres

Islamorada Fish Co.

Royal India

There is a restaurant in the hotel and one in the Sheraton across the street, but I don't know their hours.

Not sure if you're leaving on a Saturday or Sunday but I don't think you can buy beer/wine/liquor until 12 noon on Sunday so keep that in mind. Unless I'm wrong, I'm sure the locals could verify that.

Thanks, but we are leaving on a Thursday, so I think we are covered

a & b: can walk to fast food, TGIFridays, Dave & Busters, Ale House, Sweet Tomatos, diner (not recommended), Kmart, BJs

c: can walk to Winn-Dixie, Big Lots, liquor store, fast food, German restaurant

Skatie...

We are staying at the Best Western near the a/p pre cruise and I have been looking for wine to purchase closeby to take aboard. I have contacted the folks at Penn-Dutch Foods and they are very helpful and courteous.

Penn Dutch foods Hollywood Location:

3950 North 28th Terrace Hollywood, FL 33020 954.921.7144

The Hollywood Penn Dutch is located just WEST of I-95 between Stirling and Sheridan. (Closer to Stirling Road)

Does anyone know if FLL has changed the times for allowing people to check in prior to their flights? As I understood it was only 3 hours before the flight time. And with the addition of the Oasis that will mean morte people, including us. We have a 4pm flight, and are trying to see if we should book a day room at one of the airport hotels until 1 or sit at the airport. We are not the type of people who welcome sitting in the lobby area/ floor with all of our bags waiting to check in. Any input would be appreciated. thanks

quote=sunneesmile;22649311]Skatie...

We are staying at the Best Western near the a/p pre cruise and I have been looking for wine to purchase closeby to take aboard. I have contacted the folks at Penn-Dutch Foods and they are very helpful and courteous.

Penn Dutch foods Hollywood Location:

3950 North 28th Terrace Hollywood, FL 33020 954.921.7144

The Hollywood Penn Dutch is located just WEST of I-95 between Stirling and Sheridan. (Closer to Stirling Road)

Thanks Teresa! After more research, we've decided to stay now at the new (not yet opened) Hyatt South Airport. It had breakfast, shuttle to and from airport and port for $143 for 2-Queen Suite. It's also in Stirling Road area. Sounded like a good deal to me.

We will be cruising on the Royal Princess April 10th 2010 and returning on the 24th.This will coincide with at least 6 ships including the Oasis of the seas and about 20,000 passengers embarking and disembarking. Our flight out is around 2 P.M. Any idea about what to expect for traffic? We are on our own for transportation to the airport?:confused:

We are staying at the Best Western on Stirling in Dania Beach pre cruise. Get in late after stores close and will need to go out in the A.M. to pick up some wine before boarding. We always take the boxed type wine for convenience sake. Any ideas on where we might be able to pick this up. Would like to do so on my walk that morning as we will be taking a shuttle to the port.

Thanks

It sounded like you were planning on buying wine before you took the shuttle to the port is why I mentioned the time with buying booze on Sunday. You didn't say you were flying in on Thursday in the above post. You'll have all kinds of time to buy it.

hi,

advice please! am spending a week in orlando then travelling to fort lauderdale to join our cruise, is it easy to drive down? how long will it take? or is there a shuttle service from orlando (and back)?

thank u

x

hi,

advice please! am spending a week in orlando then travelling to fort lauderdale to join our cruise, is it easy to drive down? how long will it take? or is there a shuttle service from orlando (and back)?

thank u

x

Easy drive, 3-4 hours.

I am booked at the....

LaQuinta Inns and Suites

2620 N.26th Ave

Hollywood Fl.

under a Goverment Rate of 95 dollars.........

Just wondering about this hotel........

Location....is the area good (safe)....whats around it (Liquor store...food)

Is the Hotel Clean and how much for a taxi from Fort Lauderdale Airport to the hotel and then hotel to the pier........

I know they have a shuttle but it is such a hassle so we prefer to take a Taxi.

Thanks

Jodi

Hello, I will apologise first if I am in the wrong place, but I wondered if anyone could help me? My husband and I fly into Miami from the UK on the 11th Feb before joining our cruise from F.L. on 15th. We don't want to hire a car, so is there anyway we can get down to F.L. without it costing a fortune (remember I am a Scot), and without too much hassle?

We would also like to see the Art Deco area of Miami, and does anyone know of good tour companies or a bus service which goes there?

Also, do you think it possible that we might be able to see a tiny bit of the Everglades? I realise I need another holiday to do all the things I want to.

Thank you for any help you can offer, and if I can help with anyone with information coming across here, then I will do my best.

Arlene - my first ever posting:eek:

If anyone is interested in booking at Hyatt Place Airport North, you may want to make your reservations through http://www.valuetrips.com. We got a room for $119 (4 people) during Easter weekend. Rooms cost $219 if booked thru Hyatt.

Please tell me about ValueTrip.com.

I sent them a reservation request this afternoon for the Hyatt Place in Fort Lauderdale.

The request contained credit card info. I have not heard from them as to if they received request. I thought that they were to send email to let me know they received request and would let me know in 2 days if I got a room at the rate they quoted.

Wondering if this company is honest.

Please let me know how it went for you in your booking.

Please tell me about ValueTrip.com.

I sent them a reservation request this afternoon for the Hyatt Place in Fort Lauderdale.

The request contained credit card info. I have not heard from them as to if they received request. I thought that they were to send email to let me know they received request and would let me know in 2 days if I got a room at the rate they quoted.

Wondering if this company is honest.

Please let me know how it went for you in your booking.

CC members book through this site frequently, and I haven't read any complaints here other than that sometimes they take more than 2 days to contact you.

I am booked at the....

LaQuinta Inns and Suites

2620 N.26th Ave

Hollywood Fl.

under a Goverment Rate of 95 dollars.........

Just wondering about this hotel........

Location....is the area good (safe)....whats around it (Liquor store...food)

Is the Hotel Clean and how much for a taxi from Fort Lauderdale Airport to the hotel and then hotel to the pier........

I know they have a shuttle but it is such a hassle so we prefer to take a Taxi.

Thanks

Jodi

Does nobody like this hotel....or does nobody have any info on this hotel....I looked it up on Trip advisory but they have nothing posted on there since 2008 so I was just wondering..............

I tried booking through Valuetripdotcom......heard back within 24 hours that the Hyatt Place hotel is all sold out.............

Edited by gmomof3k