Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We are flying from the UK into Miami, not FLL.

I don't know if you have ever done a European cruise but this is the same for us the other way around. We have to fly from a regional Spanish airport via London to Miami with all the luggage restrictions that involves.

We then fly on a one-way flight from LHR to MIA (our return is transatlantic cruise).

The logistics are a nightmare. The amount of money this cruise is costing we just thought it would be easier to pay for someone else to worry about the details.

I am just getting concerned that we are not going to be placed in a hotel that suits our needs.

I think you'll be just fine. As much money as you are spending with the cruise line if they don't give you a good hotel, you can call and insist they change you. The cruise line will want to keep your business and will do so by making you happy.

When I sailed on Carnival Miracle in December 2007, we flew down the night before and stayed at the LaQuinta Hollywood. It was a good price with free shuttles from the airport and to the pier. The room was OK, but the main elevators weren't working, and I had to hunt for about 30 minutes to find a working ice machine.

So, I'm sailing Miracle again this December. Rates for LaQuinta are really low, but I'm not sure I want to stay there again.

HIE linked above is a lot more than I expected. The Hyatt Place is only $89. Do they provide free shuttles both from the airport and to the pier?

Anyone stayed there that can give their comments about the hotel itself and the immediate area? Is there a shop close enough to walk over and get my carryon wine?

I'm also going to go visit betterbidding to see if I can figure out any hotels I might could bid on through Priceline. I've only done it twice (both for my cruise this past May) and got the exact hotel I wanted for after the cruise but messed up my pre-cruise bid and ended up not where I wanted to be. Nice hotel, but I had wanted to be in Old San Juan, and I was definitely not.

Anyway, any info would be appreciated. I need to get my arrangements taken care of soon.

We are flying from the UK into Miami, not FLL.

I don't know if you have ever done a European cruise but this is the same for us the other way around. We have to fly from a regional Spanish airport via London to Miami with all the luggage restrictions that involves.

Ah, I see your concerns. I've flown to Europe a few times but never for a cruise. In fact, I've never flown anywhere for a cruise for the reasons that you mention (I don't know how to pack light). There are several transportation services mentioned on these boards that you can hire (SAS, Larry's Limos, etc), so you don't have to get stuck with the hotels that HAL uses. I hope that your vacation is stress free.

The Hyatt Place is only $89. Do they provide free shuttles both from the airport and to the pier?

Anyone stayed there that can give their comments about the hotel itself and the immediate area? Is there a shop close enough to walk over and get my carryon wine?

Hyatt Place is in a far better location than that LaQuinta. Yes, they have shuttles, but a cab is a lot easier and it's so close to both the airport and port that it's a very cheap ride.

Hyatt Place was completely remodeled recently and is extremely popular on here, as are the rest of the SE17th Street area hotels. There is a Publix and Total Wine store a block away in Harbor Shops. There are dozens of restaurants and all types of other shops in the immediate area as well. It's the best location for cruisers to stay in if you don't have a rental car as there is so much within easy walking distance.

• 1 month later...

According to the Hyatt website, they don't open until February 10 2010. Fine with us since we don't sail until the end of February. What are the pros/cons with staying here? We will have a van to get us around.

Other recommendations? The Hyatt Place North is sold out for our stay.

Thanks,

Robyn

Hi, we will be driving to Port Everglades for the first time in March. After doing research it appears our cruise ship will be at berth 2 and therefore we would park in the Northport garage. Can someone please tell me the address for this entrance. Is it Eisenhower Blvd. or se 17th st?? If you have an exact number that would be great so that I can either mapquest or put in the gps. Thanks so much.

Hi, we will be driving to Port Everglades for the first time in March. After doing research it appears our cruise ship will be at berth 2 and therefore we would park in the Northport garage. Can someone please tell me the address for this entrance. Is it Eisenhower Blvd. or se 17th st?? If you have an exact number that would be great so that I can either mapquest or put in the gps. Thanks so much.

The entrance is on Eisenhower Blvd. If you search the Broward county convention center, it uses the same garage and port entrance.

Hi there,

We booked our pre-cruise hotel on hotwire expecting to get one of the three hotels that I found on the "cheat website." We were surprised to receive the "Riverside" hotel. It turned out to be ok because SAS said they would pick up there. My only concern is about the grocery stores near by. We are looking to buy a few things pre-cruise like bottled water and alcohol. Also do you know a rough estimate for a cab ride to the hotel? Thanks :)

Does anyone know anything about the Candlewoood Suites Air/Cruise Port? I booked this for my b2b cruise in January on the strength of reports on tripadvisor and other posts on CC but have not seen any comments recently! I am not familiar with the Fort Lauderdale area and do not have a clue about neighbourhooods etc, I am now a bit concerned about the reservation. We are staying two nights and paying approx £190 GBP for the two nights. Help!!!!

Bequia - just wondering what will FLL be like during the Super Bowl weekend.

I booked our cruise for the Monday following without knowing that the Super Bowl was that weekend. We are flying in on Saturday morning and staying at the Embassy Suites. Just wondering what we can expect with the NFL using Fort Lauderdale as their headquarters.

Bequia - just wondering what will FLL be like during the Super Bowl weekend.

My past experience, the towns been relatively quiet during the day as everything is happening in Miami-Dade. Late night will liven up a bit but not nearly as lively as the clubs in South Beach. You may spot a few players, and a lot of media personnel.

/////

Hi there,

We booked our pre-cruise hotel on hotwire expecting to get one of the three hotels that I found on the "cheat website." We were surprised to receive the "Riverside" hotel. It turned out to be ok because SAS said they would pick up there. My only concern is about the grocery stores near by. We are looking to buy a few things pre-cruise like bottled water and alcohol. Also do you know a rough estimate for a cab ride to the hotel? Thanks :)

There is a CVS on the NW corner of Broward Blvd and N. Federal Hwy, just 3 blocks away. The closest grocery store is Publix on S. Andrews Ave, on the other side of the river. It is under a mile, but too far to carry bottled water. They carry wine and bottled water. A cab ride to the hotel would be about $20-25.

The Riverside IS listed on the cheat website that most of us use: http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=67&

Edited by royalcruz

Hi there,

We booked our pre-cruise hotel on hotwire expecting to get one of the three hotels that I found on the "cheat website." We were surprised to receive the "Riverside" hotel. It turned out to be ok because SAS said they would pick up there.

Riversides a lovely hotel with plenty of great restaurants nearby.

My only concern is about the grocery stores near by. We are looking to buy a few things pre-cruise like bottled water and alcohol.

There's a Publix Supermarket just under a mile from the Riverside Hotel on S. Andrews Ave, an easy walk or a $5 cab ride. For alcohol, stop at Total Wine on your way to the port, your driver will know where it is. ;)

Also do you know a rough estimate for a cab ride to the hotel? Thanks :)

Approximately $15 plus gratuity.

/////

Edited by Bequia

Thanks for the info!We will definitely head to Publix to get a few things. Will a SAS driver stop at Total Wine on the way down to Miami???

I would imagine that everything you need will be at CVS 2-3 blocks away (wine, water, toiletries, etc).

Edited by royalcruz