Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Just found your blog. I applaud your efforts to help us "landlubbers" find our way around your town. I found http://www.sunny.org to be really good for location frame of references since it has an interactive mapping tool.

If I can help you with a visit to Chicago, let me know. Thanks a million.

MFD

Where is the closest area for a hotel in Fort Lauderdale to the crusie ships? (Thinking about using Priceline for an April cruise)

Thanks for the responses!

The downtown zone is the closest area, I wouldn't bid less the 4* to ensure a hotel close to the port. The beach zone would be a short ride to the port.

/////

I bid for a 3* Downtown hotel on Priceline and won Hyatt Place for $70 in March. Hyatt Place is only a couple miles to the pier and includes free airport & pier shuttles. Hyatt Place seems to be the primary 3* hotel in the Downtown zone that you'd win on Priceline. Overall has good reviews.

I will have a whole day in FLL pre cruise. I am staying at the LaQuinta Inn located at 2620 North 26th Ave. Hollywood, FL 33020. I will be there January 1st. What are my dining, entertainment and shopping options around the hotel? Would it be possible for me to take the water taxi somewhere? What are some inexpensive things I can do? Again, I have the whole day so I am open.

How much will cab fare be from the hotel to the cheesecake factory on Las Olas Blvd? Or does public transportation go there from the hotel?

Hi .. we are flying in to FLL on Feb. 27th and are looking for a hotel that has a shuttle from the aiport, but also has grocery/drug store shopping close by. I've used hotwire in the past, but would rather get the right hotel and pay more, then get a cheaper hotel that is not near anything.

Can anyone suggest a good hotel to book?

Happy Holidays to all! Sorry if this has been asked before-I didn't read all the previous pages....I will be spending a post cruise day in F.L. on 12-22-09, as my flight is not till 6 p.m. Is there anywhere in F.L. area to see manatees? (Maybe I'm in the wrong part of Florida to see them?)....If this is not an option. I will probably do a quick tour of the Everglades, before heading out to the airport. Thanks...

Hi,

We are staying at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort

3030 Holiday Drive

We arrive into Fort Lauderdale airport on Jan 6th and will be at the hotel till the cruise on the oasis on Jan 9th.

1. Any ideas on price of cab from airport to Marriott

2 From Marriott to Port

3. Do we need to rent a car (parking at hotel is 21 per day kinda steep) or can we walk to places or other ideas how to get around.

4 Any suggestions on where to eat, we like most everything.

5. Things to do

Thanks for any help and any suggestions.

Trish

• 2 weeks later...

Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina

1881 SE 17th Street

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA, 33316

1-954-463-4000

Embassy Suites

1100 SE 17th Street

1-954-527-2700

Gallery One Doubletree

2670 East Sunrise Boulevard

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA, 33304-3206

1-954-565-3800

/////

as my flight is not till 6 p.m. Is there anywhere in F.L. area to see manatees?

The Florida Power and Light plant located here attracts manatees in cold weather to its warm-water discharge. Florida Power provides an observation platform for viewing the mammals.

To get there from I-95 in Fort Lauderdale, take the S.R. 84 (SW 24th Street) exit and head east. Upon reaching the port itself, turn right at the water and proceed to the designated parking area.

/////

1881 SE 17th Street

1-954-463-4000

Embassy Suites

1100 SE 17th Street

1-954-527-2700

Gallery One Doubletree

1-954-565-3800

/////

thanks for the info!!!

1881 SE 17th Street

1-954-463-4000

Embassy Suites

1100 SE 17th Street

1-954-527-2700

Gallery One Doubletree

1-954-565-3800

/////

The Hilton on the beach is nice too.

Hi .. we are flying in to FLL on Feb. 27th and are looking for a hotel that has a shuttle from the aiport, but also has grocery/drug store shopping close by. I've used hotwire in the past, but would rather get the right hotel and pay more, then get a cheaper hotel that is not near anything.

Can anyone suggest a good hotel to book?

Hyatt Place on SE 12th Ave has a Publix right next door. valuetrips.com has good prices for this hotel.

Hello!! You have helped us so much in the past! Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas and opinions!

Here's my recent question:

We will be sailing in late June and would like to stay one Pre-cruise evening at a nice hotel where we can see the ship when we get up in the morning. I believe there are only two......the Hilton Marina and Hyatt Pier 66. Is that correct?? Which one is better??

We will also be staying in FLL for two days post-cruise and would like a nice place with a great pool area. Beach side would be nice, but it's not a requirement. You guided us to the Lago Mar two years ago, and we loved it. We would like to stay some place different this year. Any ideas??

AGain, thanks so much for your time and trouble. You help travelers more than you know!~!:D

//////////////

I have been quiet for the past couple of months. I have a blog about all things Ft Lauderdale that I made a promise to myself would be updated daily. Instead, I have been kind of busy with my other life outside of the States, and have neglected it. I'm back and making sure that any new updates get posted there timely. Questions...fire away.

Bequia

////////////

Thank you so much for all this information. We will be sailing out of Port Everglades on Jan 7th and are driving down the night before. Is there a decent motel that we could stay at and leave our car there safely for 8 days? Thanks for your help.

We stayed at the Fort Lauderdale Grande on 17th by the bridge before our last cruise. We where able to watch the Star Princess sail into port as we had our coffee. Great hotel, a little on the high side , but worth it.

This is now the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina Hotel.

Hello!! You have helped us so much in the past! Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas and opinions!

Here's my recent question:

We will be sailing in late June and would like to stay one Pre-cruise evening at a nice hotel where we can see the ship when we get up in the morning. I believe there are only two......the Hilton Marina and Hyatt Pier 66. Is that correct?? Which one is better??

We will also be staying in FLL for two days post-cruise and would like a nice place with a great pool area. Beach side would be nice, but it's not a requirement. You guided us to the Lago Mar two years ago, and we loved it. We would like to stay some place different this year. Any ideas??

AGain, thanks so much for your time and trouble. You help travelers more than you know!~!:D

Hi. It looks like Bequia is on Christmas vacation, so I'll give you my input in the meantime. Correct, the 2 hotels that you mentioned have the best port views, although neither offers that close of a view, since it is such a big port. You will get the closest view of terminal 3, which is used by Princess. I prefer the Hyatt property, as it is more resort-like, with several restaurants on the property. Fort Lauderdale does not have many great hotels on the beach. Other than Lago Mar, there is the Harbor Beach Marriott, the Pelican, and the soon to reopen Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach. Lago Mar is the most resort-like of these. There are also the Ocean Sky and Ocean Manor, but I would suggest you consider the recent reviews very seriously before booking there. Across the street from the beach, we have a lot of great recent hotels, including the W, Westin, Hilton, Atlantic, Ritz Carlton. You might also consider staying outside of Fort Lauderdale at the Boca Raton Resort, where you have a choice of staying on Boca beach or inlet. It is exquisite. Or the Westin Diplomat Beach Hotel in Hollywood, which is modern and has a gorgeous pool. There are 2 budget-range hotels across the street from Fort Lauderdale beach that consistantly get good reviews: Bahia Mar and Courtyard Marriott. There is one hotel that is not in the beach area that I would also recommend in Fort Lauderdale: Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd. It's in a great location for shopping/dining/strolling.

Edited by royalcruz

It's been a couple years since we visited Fort Lauderdale and I need a refresher on ground transportation from our Hotel in Plantation (Hampton Inn) to The Port in Miami and then back to FLL after our cruise.

We hired a limo last time because there was a bigger group of us, which worked out great, but this time there is only 2 of us. Any suggestions?

The main consideration is whether we can find someone to pick us up at the Hotel or if we will need to go back to FLL first to get a ride to the Port of Miami.

THANKS! Your feedback is appreciated! :)

Royalcruz,

I just read your info above about Boca Raton. I have never been there before and exquisite sounds good to me !! I was wondering if this is a viable option for a one day post cruise stay.??? We are flying out of FLL airport. The Fort laudedale options don't seem too appealing. Our cruise ends in Miami so we would have to rent a car and drive to Boca. Is it really better in Boca???