Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Royalcruz,

I just read your info above about Boca Raton. I have never been there before and exquisite sounds good to me !! I was wondering if this is a viable option for a one day post cruise stay.??? We are flying out of FLL airport. The Fort laudedale options don't seem too appealing. Our cruise ends in Miami so we would have to rent a car and drive to Boca. Is it really better in Boca???

Considering that the cruise will get into port early in the morning, I think that it is definitely worth staying at Boca Resort, especially if you take a late afternoon flight out the second day. Just let the hotel store your bags until your room is ready, and you can explore the property. You can stay in the modern buildings by the beach, or you can stay in the classic grand hotel and take the shuttle to the beach (I would opt for the latter choice because I love old grand hotels) or stay in the tower or bungalos (bungalos are not in the best location). You do not need to leave the property at all, as it is a full scale resort. They have great deals off season...this summer they had bed and breakfast for $119. Also, Boca Town Center is my favorite mall.

We will be on a RCCL cruise out of Port Everglades in April. After our cruise, my sister, who will be traveling with her 2 sons, will be flying home out of West Palm Beach.

I am looking for a recommendation of a reliable limo service to hire for her, that will pick her up at the port and take her to the West Palm Beach airport.

I checked the Fort Lauderdale Better Business Bureau site and there do not seem to be any limo services that are members.

Can anyone recommend a reputable, safe and reliable car service?

Thanks!

Can anyone help me with an answer to this question? We will be sailing out of Port Everglades on Jan 7th and are driving down the night before. Is there a decent motel that we could stay at and leave our car there safely for 8 days? Thanks for your help.

I'm sure this is asked often but I guess I haven't looked in the right spot yet -

I am cruising RC-Independance and want to know if it is reasonable to book an 11am flight out of FLL on the day we return to port?

How long is the trip from port to airport?

Should I reserve a car service or just get a taxi?

Will the cruise line consider me for early/first debarcation?

I have mostly cruised DCL and their debarcation is a breeze (Celebrity in Vancouver was a mess, they forgot to call our "color" and then we waited over an hour for a cab).

Thank you in advance.

Edited by frosty52

We're flying into FLL on Jan 22/10. How easy is it to get a taxi at the airport to take us to the Embassy Suites on 17th Street? Price to expect and length of time involved?

Is a Limo service an easier option...which company do you recommend? It's our 1st time to FLL so we want the easiest and quickest way to get out of the airport and to our hotel.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share with us.

Pat :)

We're flying into FLL on Jan 22/10. How easy is it to get a taxi at the airport to take us to the Embassy Suites on 17th Street? Price to expect and length of time involved?

Is a Limo service an easier option...which company do you recommend? It's our 1st time to FLL so we want the easiest and quickest way to get out of the airport and to our hotel.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share with us.

Pat :)

The hotel is really close, about 3 traffic lights away from the airport! Figure less than 10 minutes ride and less than $20 including tip. There are lots of taxis, but I don't know if there will be a line or not.

I'm sure this is asked often but I guess I haven't looked in the right spot yet -

I am cruising RC-Independance and want to know if it is reasonable to book an 11am flight out of FLL on the day we return to port?

How long is the trip from port to airport?

Should I reserve a car service or just get a taxi?

Will the cruise line consider me for early/first debarcation?

I have mostly cruised DCL and their debarcation is a breeze (Celebrity in Vancouver was a mess, they forgot to call our "color" and then we waited over an hour for a cab).

Thank you in advance.

It's 10 minutes to the airport and there are lots of taxis readily available. Most cruise lines now have an option where you can walk off with your bags before the colors are called. Sometimes you can "tip" your stateroom attendant and get the color tag that you want. Some cruiselines have a display of luggage tags near the pursar's desk and you can exchange yours for the ones you prefer. If you do walk-off on your own, it would be hard to miss your 11AM flight, but you never know how long the lines will be at the airport.

Can anyone give me a link to a schedule of which berth the ships will dock at any time. Travelling on 27th Feb on Royal Princess and would like to sort out a route from the Hyatt Plantation to drop the bags and then drop the car.

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been asked before, and missed it somehow......We are sailing next Sept 2010. I have 6 adults traveling together, and we wanted a reasonable place to stay, preferably all in one room, a suite. We found 2 places to accomodate us. Embassy Suites 17th St, and Marriott Beach Towers, which has a 2 bedroom villa , so everyone would have thier own room. How is the Marriott? We liked this because of the extra room, and it is on the beach. Any stayed here, and what did you think. Thanks for any opinions...:)

~Jax

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been asked before, and missed it somehow......We are sailing next Sept 2010. I have 6 adults traveling together, and we wanted a reasonable place to stay, preferably all in one room, a suite. We found 2 places to accomodate us. Embassy Suites 17th St, and Marriott Beach Towers, which has a 2 bedroom villa , so everyone would have thier own room. How is the Marriott? We liked this because of the extra room, and it is on the beach. Any stayed here, and what did you think. Thanks for any opinions...:)

~Jax

I stayed there when it first opened and the rooms and pool were nice. The location is superb. I think that the service there is minimal.

Thank you, I was hoping someone would be able to tell me more about the Marriott. I think that is the one everyone wants to go with. We aren't worried about service too much. Looks like there are a few nice restaurants you can walk to from there.The beach looks nice too.

The restaurants in Beach Place are more like bars with fried food. The 3 best restaurants that you can walk to are H2O (next door), Casablanca Cafe (a few blocks north), and Coconuts (on the intracoastal across from Marriott Courtyard). Cero in the Ritz Carlton next door gets good reviews and is very nice, but I didn't care for the food at all (bland0: they have a great bar for wine and martinis. I do remember that the whirlpool bathtub in the Mariott BeachPlace master bath was huge :D. The beach is across the street and is nice. You can rent a chair for the day or buy a cheap one at the 24 hr CVS downstairs.

Edited by royalcruz

Just off the ship at FLL-and here is scoop: Disembarkation was delayed midway by about a 35 minute hold; no specific reason given. Taxi lines very long. FLL looked liked a homeless camp. Per TSA inspector, Airport terminals were overwhelmed with luggage (do i say Oasis of the SEAS) and check in was not allowed until 2 hrs prior causing great crowds all around! Now, this was the same a year ago with the hold on admission to gate areas, so i really don't know how much has changed.

Just off the ship at FLL-and here is scoop: Disembarkation was delayed midway by about a 35 minute hold; no specific reason given. Taxi lines very long. FLL looked liked a homeless camp. Per TSA inspector, Airport terminals were overwhelmed with luggage (do i say Oasis of the SEAS) and check in was not allowed until 2 hrs prior causing great crowds all around! Now, this was the same a year ago with the hold on admission to gate areas, so i really don't know how much has changed.

There have been so many tourists in town this week for the holidays, they were probably all going home in the last 2 days...so what you are describing is not the norm at FLL. The beaches were packed, and I had to wait about 10 minutes for a table at 11 PM on Tuesday night at Cheesecake Factory.

We are staying at the Best Western on Stirling in Dania Beach pre cruise. Get in late after stores close and will need to go out in the A.M. to pick up some wine before boarding. We always take the boxed type wine for convenience sake. Any ideas on where we might be able to pick this up. Would like to do so on my walk that morning as we will be taking a shuttle to the port.

Thanks

We are staying at the Best Western on Stirling in Dania Beach pre cruise. Get in late after stores close and will need to go out in the A.M. to pick up some wine before boarding. We always take the boxed type wine for convenience sake. Any ideas on where we might be able to pick this up. Would like to do so on my walk that morning as we will be taking a shuttle to the port.

Thanks

Call the Kmart in Oakwood Plaza to see if they have boxed wine. Or if you have a BJ's card, there is one next to Kmart. It is just a block east of I-95 on Stirling Rd.

Thanks

Not sure if you're leaving on a Saturday or Sunday but I don't think you can buy beer/wine/liquor until 12 noon on Sunday so keep that in mind. Unless I'm wrong, I'm sure the locals could verify that.

I need help sorting out which hotel is best for us given the following two scenarios:

A) We arrive at FLL at 8:30 PM on Saturday night after traveling all day. We depart Sunday around 11 AM. We would like a clean, comfortable hotel where we could have a light bite and cocktail. Room service would be nice too. No time to avail ourselves of any other amenities.

B) We arrive at FLL at 9:00 PM on Friday. We have all day Saturday to relax and enjoy ourselves. We would like a hotel with a nice pool, good restaurants walking distance and good service. Also, the same as A as far as food on arrival day.

Thanks so much for the help. We are two adults, no children with us.

Does anyone know how far the SE17th Bridge is from the Hyatt Place? Would we be able to walk from the hotel to the bridge? The Oasis of the Seas is leaving the day before us and I'd like to watch her go out.

It's about a 6 block walk.