Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We are just getting set to drive to Ft Lauderdale and will be off on Feb. 8th for a cruise on the Ruby Princess. I have a reservation at the Comfort Inn Airport/Cruise Port.

My question is: where is the safest place to park?

I can park at the Hotel or the Port parking garage.

Have you heard anything about parking at either place?

I just got a new car and would prefer not to come back to an empty parking space :eek:.

Thanks for any info.

Looking for advise on my choice of hotels... A bit hard to choose from down under Australia......

These were booked thru the Aust Defence Force Leave Plan.. but I can change them.

Pre Cruise one night at the Comfort Inn airport cruise port

then

Post cruise 4 nights at the Sheraton airport cruiseport hotel.

Also due to not having a car after the cruise ( you lot drive on the wrong side of the road) what is there to do and see that is acessable via public transport from the Sheraton. I have heard talk of this Sawgrass outlet mall..is it hard to get to?

Could use some help here, We are cc group cruise and a bunch of us meet the night before for dinner, so we need a place that can handle 30-40 people and is in walking distance of the Hyatt Place ft Lauderdale north. We are not looking for a chain but a good local restaurant. So-- looking for recommendations!

I think that Chuck's Steak House could accomodate your group with advanced reservations. It's not the greatest restaurant but I think it would work.

Hi, Does anyone have any information on the Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port on Griffin Rd, Dania Beach, Fl? Understand it's a new hotel. Any information about the area would be helpful.

Thanks

I would also like any info - restaurants within short walk, wine store, etc.?

thanks

//////////////

I have been quiet for the past couple of months. I have a blog about all things Ft Lauderdale that I made a promise to myself would be updated daily. Instead, I have been kind of busy with my other life outside of the States, and have neglected it. I'm back and making sure that any new updates get posted there timely. Questions...fire away.

Bequia

////////////

Hello, I just stumbled onto your thread. This is my quesion. We are coming into FLL on the same day as our cruise, we would like to be able to stop somewhere and get some green tea and bottled water. Is there someplace a cab will stop after picking us up at the airport? I think most drug stores carry my brand of diet green tea. Thanks for taking the time to do all this.

Hi Everyone,

I've made a couple decisions and now I'm hoping you can give me a little advice and some of your knowledge of the area:D

I have decided we will stay at the Hyatt Pier 66

Questions?

How much will the cab ride be from the Fort Lauderdale international airport to the hyatt?

How much to the pier?

Can anyone recommend a good Steak House and separately a Good Seafood Place?

We will have to make a trip to the Publix and the wine store, will we need to take a cab or does the trolley go that far? Seems a bit far to walk with the purchases.

How far would Sawgrass Mills Mall be?

Thanks a bunch

Kar

Hello, I just stumbled onto your thread. This is my quesion. We are coming into FLL on the same day as our cruise, we would like to be able to stop somewhere and get some green tea and bottled water. Is there someplace a cab will stop after picking us up at the airport? I think most drug stores carry my brand of diet green tea. Thanks for taking the time to do all this.

You could ask the driver to stop at CVS, Publix, or Walgreens on SE 17th St. It is a little out of the way, but they are just blocks from the north port entrance.

Hi Everyone,

I've made a couple decisions and now I'm hoping you can give me a little advice and some of your knowledge of the area:D

I have decided we will stay at the Hyatt Pier 66

Questions?

How much will the cab ride be from the Fort Lauderdale international airport to the hyatt? about $15

How much to the pier? about $10

Can anyone recommend a good Steak House and separately a Good Seafood Place? Grill 66 (at the hotel), Bimini Boatyard (across the bridge), Charley's Crab (by Water Taxi to Shooters), Capital Grill steakhouse or Truluck seafood at Galleria Mall (by Water Taxi to Gallery One), casual seafood at Kelly's Landing (over the bridge and about 5 blocks west)

We will have to make a trip to the Publix and the wine store, will we need to take a cab or does the trolley go that far? Seems a bit far to walk with the purchases. The trolley goes there.

How far would Sawgrass Mills Mall be? about a 30 minute ride.

Thanks a bunch

Kar

we are getting off the glory on march 14, 2010 and have all afternoon in fll after being dropped off at the airport. we are two moms (50ish) and two special olympian athletes (30) and don't have aflight till 5:45. figure we have time for a nice lunch or something for about 4 hours. any suggestions how to spend late morning, early afternoon?:confused:

we are getting off the glory on march 14, 2010 and have all afternoon in fll after being dropped off at the airport. we are two moms (50ish) and two special olympian athletes (30) and don't have aflight till 5:45. figure we have time for a nice lunch or something for about 4 hours. any suggestions how to spend late morning, early afternoon?:confused:

If the weather is nice, a Carrie B cruise or lunch/shopping on Las Olas Blvd would be good.

I will be getting off the Jewel March 7th and am not flying home until the 9th so I decided to use Priceline (after checking out better bidding, etc...) to book a 3* hotel in the beach zone and wound up with a hotel that had not been mentioned on the bidding assistance sites. It's the Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort on Galt Ocean Dr. It looks like it's out a little farther than I maybe wanted to be and I know it's a little older also, but it appears to actually be on the beach. My question is, we will be getting off the ship in Miami and need to get to Ft Lauderdale and then will be spending 2 days there so would it be better to use a shuttle to get from Miami to the hotel and not have a car or just rent a car in Miami and return it to FLL? We want to be able to get a couple of decent meals, maybe take the Jungle Queen cruise, check out Las Olas and then just hang out at the beach before returning to the cold, cold, North. Any input would be great! Thanks!

Kapeppy,

We also got the Ocean Sky through Priceline. I have some of the same concerns (see my post on the sticky site re: hotel bids). I did find a couple restaurants in Lauderdale By The Sea that sound nice. I think they would be within walking distance. 101 Ocean sounds nice and Aruba Beach Cafe sounds like fun. You might check on these. I found mixed reviews on the Ocean Sky on the Trip Advisor site so I am hopeful it works out. We are also staying 2 night but it is pre-cruise on 3/19 and 3/20. We are sailing out of Port Everglades. I was also wondering what is best regarding transfers so hopefully we will hear from someone. The TA site says they charge $9/day for parking so keep that in mind when deciding if you want to rent a car.

Anyone out there with more info on this hotel and location?

We are staying at the Hampton Inn on SW12th (airport north cruise port). If I remember right there is a shopping center within walking distance. How about a good fish restaurant or even a good place to eat for 3 couples. Nothing too expensive. We are open to suggestions. Have eaten at Johnny v's and a crab house (in Dania beach). I love Ft Lauderdale and Las Olas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Happy Sailing to all.

Kasfun,

we are getting off the glory on march 14, 2010 and have all afternoon in fll after being dropped off at the airport. we are two moms (50ish) and two special olympian athletes (30) and don't have aflight till 5:45. figure we have time for a nice lunch or something for about 4 hours. any suggestions how to spend late morning, early afternoon?

have you looked at the water taxi? it has lots of fun stops and your special olympians may enjoy this. Here is their site: http://www.watertaxi.com/

There are many stops by restaurants, shopping, etc.

best of luck and happy cruising,

Peggy

Rustic Inn

Tropical Acres

Islamorada Fish Co.

Royal India

There is a restaurant in the hotel and one in the Sheraton across the street, but I don't know their hours.

Rustic Inn Is Great for fish--especially blue crab, which you crack yourself.

There is newspaper on the tables and a fun place to go.

Tropical Acres was one of our favorite restaurants when we lived in

Ft. Lauderdale area. They have great prime Rib and steaks, along with many other entrees.

We will be cruising on the Royal Princess April 10th 2010 and returning on the 24th.This will coincide with at least 6 ships including the Oasis of the seas and about 20,000 passengers embarking and disembarking. Our flight out is around 2 P.M. Any idea about what to expect for traffic? We are on our own for transportation to the airport?:confused:

FLL is so close that taxis can run back and forth frequently. You should not have a problem finding one.

Suggestion--obtain a later exit from the ship. You will have plenty of time to taxi to the airport, and it won't be as congested outside-----

There may even be shuttles and people promoting transportation to the airport.

That worked for us when we disembarked in Bayonne, NJ., but not sure if it is allowed in FLL

We are also staying at Embassy Suites. We would like to get down to see the beach if possible. How does the Sun Trolley work? Is is possible to walk? We have 4 children, the youngest will be 6 at the time. Thanks!

I don't know about the Sun Trolley, but it's a long, long walk from Embassy Suites to the Beach, including having to cross the drawbridge.

Read this place is very good,

http://www.15streetfisheries.com/

It's a good restaurant, but tourist/business prices.

It would be a long, long walk from the hotels on 17th street.

You need to travel around a canal.

two great local FL restaurants for a large group---

Rustic Inn -- casual, specialize in blue crabs

Tropic Inn --Steak, prime rib, seafood, etc.

They do have private areas/rooms if you book ahead.

Both are cab trips away-----

Off 17th St---Bravo--good Italian restaurant

Does the ship have a tour to the everglades, and an airboat ride??

It's a great experience and a highlight for visiting Ft Lauderdale.

Check websites to see if there are any private tours from the port-------

Your olympians would enjoy-----

I will be getting off the Jewel March 7th and am not flying home until the 9th so I decided to use Priceline (after checking out better bidding, etc...) to book a 3* hotel in the beach zone and wound up with a hotel that had not been mentioned on the bidding assistance sites. It's the Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort on Galt Ocean Dr. It looks like it's out a little farther than I maybe wanted to be and I know it's a little older also, but it appears to actually be on the beach. My question is, we will be getting off the ship in Miami and need to get to Ft Lauderdale and then will be spending 2 days there so would it be better to use a shuttle to get from Miami to the hotel and not have a car or just rent a car in Miami and return it to FLL? We want to be able to get a couple of decent meals, maybe take the Jungle Queen cruise, check out Las Olas and then just hang out at the beach before returning to the cold, cold, North. Any input would be great! Thanks!

I think you would be much better off renting a car--just the cost to travel from Miami to FL can be expensive, and your "taxi travel" to your choices for thing to see can be costly. Rent a car!!!!! It will give you freedom of travel--