Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Has anyone taken the full-day tour "Everglades Day Safari"? It's gotten many excellent reviews on various sites, but I always come back to Cruise Critic to get the true skinny. The tour I'm looking at is out of Ft Lauderdale, of course, and supposedly will do pickup and drop off at area hotels (we're staying at the Courtyard on the beach near Los Olas.)

Royalcruz, do you think this is appropriate for this thread?

Has anyone taken the full-day tour "Everglades Day Safari"? It's gotten many excellent reviews on various sites, but I always come back to Cruise Critic to get the true skinny. The tour I'm looking at is out of Ft Lauderdale, of course, and supposedly will do pickup and drop off at area hotels (we're staying at the Courtyard on the beach near Los Olas.)

Royalcruz, do you think this is appropriate for this thread?

This question is certainly appropriate for this thread, but you will get a better response if you start a new thread with the name of the tour in the subject line and you might want to mention where you found the tour. I and the people who respond to this thread are locals who can help you out with an insider's view of Fort Lauderdale.

This question is certainly appropriate for this thread, but you will get a better response if you start a new thread with the name of the tour in the subject line and you might want to mention where you found the tour. I and the people who respond to this thread are locals who can help you out with an insider's view of Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks, I'll see if I get any responses here, but I will try a new thread, too. I've picked up good info for my three precruise nights in Ft Lauderdale...much of it is thanks to you!

BTW, I lived in Ft Lauderdale from 1968-72. Things sure have changed!

Thanks, I'll see if I get any responses here, but I will try a new thread, too. I've picked up good info for my three precruise nights in Ft Lauderdale...much of it is thanks to you!

BTW, I lived in Ft Lauderdale from 1968-72. Things sure have changed!

You are not going to recognize the place:eek:;)

Hi, Need to book 2 rooms for one night, Feb. 22.

Any idea if the Best Western Plus will be ok? Read reviews and they're sort of not good.:confused: If ok, will need transportation to the Port, last year we stay at the Comfort Inn on Stirling (now sold out for that night) and we did get free transportation to port & then also booked the return to FLL (did cost some $10, I think), but it was cheaper then the what the cruise line offered.

If BW isn't ok. Which hotel would you suggest (4 adults + 16 yo (2 rooms)) that also has free transport from FLL to hotel and the to Port either free or low cost.

Would like to be able to get some food; we hope to land at FLL around 8 so won't get to hotel 9ish(?), somewhere nearby would be great:)

thanks

barb

Hi, Need to book 2 rooms for one night, Feb. 22.

Any idea if the Best Western Plus will be ok? Read reviews and they're sort of not good.:confused: If ok, will need transportation to the Port, last year we stay at the Comfort Inn on Stirling (now sold out for that night) and we did get free transportation to port & then also booked the return to FLL (did cost some $10, I think), but it was cheaper then the what the cruise line offered.

If BW isn't ok. Which hotel would you suggest (4 adults + 16 yo (2 rooms)) that also has free transport from FLL to hotel and the to Port either free or low cost.

Would like to be able to get some food; we hope to land at FLL around 8 so won't get to hotel 9ish(?), somewhere nearby would be great:)

thanks

barb

The BW might be ok. Also look at Hampton Inn on SR 84/SW24th St. in Fort Lauderdale. It has everything you want and a sports bar/grill in the WinnDixie plaza down the street.

FLL question.....

Are there any hotels offering a "stay one night/free parking/shuttle to the port" deal in Ft. Lauderdale...similar to what the La Quinta Airport East offers in Miami?

I'm booked on a cruise out of FLL next October and it's my first time cruising out of FLL...will either be driving or flying down from ATL, depending on who offers what.

The abovementioned deal was really sweet...a no-brainer for a 5- or 7-day cruise since the money saved on parking fees more than made up for the one-night stay.

Hoping someone offers a similar deal in FLL!

FLL question.....

Are there any hotels offering a "stay one night/free parking/shuttle to the port" deal in Ft. Lauderdale...similar to what the La Quinta Airport East offers in Miami?

I'm booked on a cruise out of FLL next October and it's my first time cruising out of FLL...will either be driving or flying down from ATL, depending on who offers what.

The abovementioned deal was really sweet...a no-brainer for a 5- or 7-day cruise since the money saved on parking fees more than made up for the one-night stay.

Hoping someone offers a similar deal in FLL!

Yes, there are those packages. I am using www.stay123.com

There is also www.buyreservations.com and there is a 3rd one

but I can't think of the name. I am sure someone else will post

it though.

I got a room at Cambria Suites in Dania, which is just a bit north

of Ft. Lauderdale. They have the room, free parking for up to 2

weeks and a shuttle to the ship as well.

it though.

parkingstay and sunny.org are other helpful websites for free cruise parking at hotels.

it though.

parkingstay and sunny.org are other helpful websites for free cruise parking at hotels.

Awesome, this is just the sort of info I was looking for. Cruise Critic, I love you! :D :D

a Couple of :confused:

Ok, I can get to the hotel from the airport what kind of shuttle service to they offer to the pier?:confused:

I also read that SAS is available from some hotels, do they offer service to the FLL from the pier:confused:

I just love the info that I can get from CC:)

thanks

barb

a Couple of :confused:

Ok, I can get to the hotel from the airport what kind of shuttle service to they offer to the pier?:confused:

I also read that SAS is available from some hotels, do they offer service to the FLL from the pier:confused:

I just love the info that I can get from CC:)

thanks

barb

Hyatt Place arranges a shuttle van to the port at a per person fee. Call 954.922.0436 to find out the current charge and to find out if you need to book in advance (usually you book at the hotels the day before you need the ride)...I'm guessing it is $5-10 per person. SAS does have a FLL permit so they might do that route, but it is much easier and probably cheaper to just get a taxi for about $15 per taxi (NOT per person). It's also more convenient and possibly cheaper to just take a taxi from Hyatt Place Convention Center to the port...if it is just 2 of you it's about the same price but if more than 2 a taxi is almost always cheaper than shuttle (usually $10-15 per taxi depending on traffic and pier).

Hyatt Place arranges a shuttle van to the port at a per person fee. Call 954.922.0436 to find out the current charge and to find out if you need to book in advance (usually you book at the hotels the day before you need the ride)...I'm guessing it is $5-10 per person. SAS does have a FLL permit so they might do that route, but it is much easier and probably cheaper to just get a taxi for about $15 per taxi (NOT per person). It's also more convenient and possibly cheaper to just take a taxi from Hyatt Place Convention Center to the port...if it is just 2 of you it's about the same price but if more than 2 a taxi is almost always cheaper than shuttle (usually $10-15 per taxi depending on traffic and pier).

There will be 5 of us, all adults

so should I go w/ a taxi to pier or a shuttle, then the reverse from pier to airport.

:)

There will be 5 of us, all adults

so should I go w/ a taxi to pier or a shuttle, then the reverse from pier to airport.

:)

With 5 adults you'll probably need 2 taxis to hold luggage. Even so, the trips you are taking are so short that taxi fare is equal to or less than the cost of shuttles, and it is more convenient, as there are always plenty of taxis around. With shuttles you have to wait for dropping off and picking up other people...on a weekend winter there can be 8 cruise ships in port.

What is the closest movie theater to Embassy Suites and what is the best mode of transportation to get there? cab? bus ? :rolleyes:

I would take a taxi, except to Gateway (see below).

My estimates from closest to furthest:

Cinema Paradiso (1.5 miles)

Gateway (4 miles)(you can take the suntrolley from Harbor Shops to Galleria Mall, then walk .5 mile west on Sunrise Blvd)

Oakwood Regal (5.5 miles)

Coral Ridge AMC (6 miles)

Paul! Let me know if you want me to pick up anything for you at FLL - we'll be there in January and we'll see you in September!

*blink* *blink*

Wow, fancy seeing you here! :)

I can't think of anything specific I might need in FLL besides a map, but I'm looking forward to any observations you have about the cruise port. It's my first time. (awwwww)

I will be driving down to Ft Laud the morning of our cruise, I'll be picking up a friend in Lady Lakes. Would it be better to take the turnpike, and does anyone know about how long a drive that is (4 hrs)?

The turnpike will take you about 4 hrs. I-75 will take you about 5 hours.