Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Sharon

When we were in Fort Lauderdale this past Dec. we had dinner at Gilbert's in the Harbor Shops Mall. When we were leaving the owner's son told us that they were moving to anew location and I think a different name. Could you help me out with the new location and new name. He told us it was near Duffy's.

Thanks a bunch.

The QI is in one of the worst areas of Fort Lauderdale. I would not go for a walk anywhere around there. Just ask the desk clerk if they have local delivery menus, or take a taxi to US1 or Las Olas Blvd or 2nd St a couple of miles away where you'll find dinner.

Thanks for the advice. We have points for Quality that we never seem to ba able to use so thought maybe we could finally use them. We also have points for Holiday Inn and the Hilton properties so will look at those choices.

Thanks again for all of the time you spend helping others. It is greatly appreciated.

Sharon

When we were in Fort Lauderdale this past Dec. we had dinner at Gilbert's in the Harbor Shops Mall. When we were leaving the owner's son told us that they were moving to anew location and I think a different name. Could you help me out with the new location and new name. He told us it was near Duffy's.

Thanks a bunch.

I haven't noticed that Gilbert's had moved or closed or opened another place and there is no mention on their website. Duffy's is also in the Harbor Shops but is in a stand-alone building. So you would need to contact Gilbert's if you want more information.

Thanks for the advice. We have points for Quality that we never seem to ba able to use so thought maybe we could finally use them. We also have points for Holiday Inn and the Hilton properties so will look at those choices.

Thanks again for all of the time you spend helping others. It is greatly appreciated.

You are welcome! There are 2 Holiday Inns and several Hilton/Hampton/Doubletree properties that would make a much better choice. You will be MUCH happier.

Does anyone know how late the water taxi might run in the summer? The current schedule on their site is winter hours. I will be there Labor Day weekend and am trying to decide if we do the after 5 discount pass if we can see all we want to see.

I'm trying to save what I can since we are coming in on Saturday for a cruise that leaves on Monday from POM. Our flight arrives at FLL at 1:09 PM (give or take :) ). Don't know if we are renting a car or not as rates right now are way higher than I want to pay. I'm hoping we can do the water taxi that day ASAP after 5 ($13 vs $20) and then use the Sun Trolley on Sunday.

We are staying in Fort Lauderdale for 3 nights pre-cruise. One of the things I need to do is buy some wine. I know ABC wines are close to Gallery One, but Total Wines have the particular wines we want. So, how much would a taxi cost from Gallery One to Total wines? Also, would it be easy to get a taxi near to Total wines for the return journey, or should I get the first taxi to wait?

Thanks!

We are staying in Fort Lauderdale for 3 nights pre-cruise. One of the things I need to do is buy some wine. I know ABC wines are close to Gallery One, but Total Wines have the particular wines we want. So, how much would a taxi cost from Gallery One to Total wines? Also, would it be easy to get a taxi near to Total wines for the return journey, or should I get the first taxi to wait?

Thanks!

My guess is that a taxi would cost about $15-20 each way, depending on bridge traffic. If you can't get a taxi back, just walk over to Embassy Suites and you should find one there; if not, tip the staff to call you a cab.

But here's a much more economical idea: While ABC is closer, Total Wine is much easier to get to from Gallery One. If the Suntrolley is running, you can catch that from the front of Galleria Mall to Harbor Shops where Total Wine is. The schedule is online. Another option is the 40 bus for $1.75 per ride (need exact change)...you can find the bus stop on the east side of the Galleria garage. Get off near Embassy Suites. You can find that schedule online too.

You might even find your favorite wine at Publix across the street from the hotel.

My guess is that a taxi would cost about $15-20 each way, depending on bridge traffic. If you can't get a taxi back, just walk over to Embassy Suites and you should find one there; if not, tip the staff to call you a cab.

But here's a much more economical idea: While ABC is closer, Total Wine is much easier to get to from Gallery One. If the Suntrolley is running, you can catch that from the front of Galleria Mall to Harbor Shops where Total Wine is. The schedule is online. Another option is the 40 bus for $1.75 per ride (need exact change)...you can find the bus stop on the east side of the Galleria garage. Get off near Embassy Suites. You can find that schedule online too.

You might even find your favorite wine at Publix across the street from the hotel.

thanks very much! I will have a drink and decide what to do ;)

I'm staying one night pre-cruise at the Holiday Inn and Suites Sawgrass Mills. I picked this hotel because it was so close to Sawgrass Mills mall. How far is Las Olas and FLL beach from here? Has anyone ever stayed at this hotel?

DH and I will be driving down from Charleston,SC for our 5/4/13 cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. I know in Port Carnerval we park our car at a Park and Cruise. Is there anything like that in Fort Lauderdale where you can park a little cheaper than the Port?

Yes, there are a few lots like that (park n fly, etc). Some people even stay at hotels that give you free cruise parking in exchange for one night stay (parksleepfly.com). If you do a search you'll find lots of recommendations on this. I have only parked inside the port...it's $15/night.

Hi Any suggestions of what to do with extra time?. We will be getting off Carnival Freedom on Sunday 3/31/13 probably early, but don't need to be at Miami airport until 3:00pm.

Thanks

If you take an excursion they'll hold your luggage on the bus and drop you off at the airport. It's probably not worth renting a car because you need time to get it, drop it off, explore, and check in by 2, and some places won't open until around noon on Sunday.

Sharon

Thanks a bunch.

Gilberts was still in the Harbor Shops a couple of weeks ago (and the owner's son was working the register).

We are going to be in FLL an extra day coming back from a Cruise from the Port of Miami. We have already arranged for SAS to take us back to our FLL Hotel but we would love to be able to do Everglades/Air boat tour with the rest of the afternoon free.

KSA Tours is $60 per person for transportation from/to our hotel to Sawgrass Recreation Park.

Are any better or cheaper deals?

Edited by duffyswann

duffyswann, you might look at renting a car for 24 hours instead. It'd probably be a lot cheaper than $60/pp (plus whatever you are spending for transportation from Miami to FLL). Plus, you can spend as much time at Sawgrass as you want after your airboat ride. The zoo there, while small, has a great staff who are very knowledgeable about the animals, and you can easily spend a couple of hours listening to them and looking at the animals.

Also, Sawgrass Recreation Park has a $2 off coupon on their website, but if you check the brochure racks at hotels or restaurants you might be able to find a "Great Locations" travel guide that includes a coupon book with a $4 off per person offer. The "Great Locations" guide also has a bunch of other restaurant and attraction coupons for the FLL area (we had a great dinner at Il Mulino and used a coupon from there for a free appetizer).

EDIT: It looks like Great Locations has their coupons online. You can get the $4 off per person coupon at http://www.greatlocations.com/coupontest.cfm?partnerid=1&contactid=66&pmenuitemid=328&couponid=90

Edited by ahecht