Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We had no problem making our 10:45am flight after sailing on the Allure. We had

our bags sent from the ship to the airport, so we didn't have to worry about them. We also did early departure and a taxi was waiting for us when we exited

the terminal. At the airport by 7:45am.

Interesting???? Did you use Luggage Valet?

They say your flight must be AFTER 1130 to use it.

Thanks Sharon for the info! Also, is there a store to buy wine?

Thanks for the information!

Sharon;)

Plaza Liquor and 7-11 are within a mile walk of Sheraton beach, and CVS is a little further than that. Total Wine is a short ride, on the Suntrolley route.

Edited by royalcruz

We will be staying at the Renaissance next month - can you tell me about the hotel, how close restaurants/beach are to it?:)

Renaissance is within a mile of over a dozen restaurants, several on the same block. The beach is a short ride away, on the suntrolley route.

I need a descent beach hotel for may 3rd. will be going to port to board the Oasis on the 4th.

Any thought on the best option? Want a nice place for under 200.00.

Really want to stay on the beach

Thanks for any help!

Prices drop at some hotels after April 30, but this is still a tight budget for the beach. The only hotels right on the beach are Sheraton (should be in your budget), Marriott Harbor Beach, and Lago Mar. Across the street or within a block of the beach, these should be in your budget: Westin, Alhambra, Doubletree Bahia Mar, Best Western Oceanside, Marriott Courtyard, and maybe B Ocean.

I know Publix has a decent wine selection, but how about Winn-Dixie? Depending on when we arrive and how my mom feels, I may end up there (or Walgreen's) because I can walk there from the Hampton. Of course I'd rather go to Total Wine but that might not be an option. I don't need anything fancy, just a couple of adequate bottles for the cabin.

I know Publix has a decent wine selection, but how about Winn-Dixie? Depending on when we arrive and how my mom feels, I may end up there (or Walgreen's) because I can walk there from the Hampton. Of course I'd rather go to Total Wine but that might not be an option. I don't need anything fancy, just a couple of adequate bottles for the cabin.

Publix has a much better selection IMO, but I'm sure you'll find something at Winn Dixie. There is also a Big Daddy's liquor store by there on SR84.

It was in the Toronto Star newspaper today - Feb 14, 2013, in Florida anybody renting cars will need International Drivers Licence.

Our News station (in Florida) announced that the police will not enforce that law on Canadians.

I am not worryed about the police. W\

Will the car rental accept only Canadian licences, I wonder?

Rented with Avis at the FLL counter near the cruiseport on Jan. 26 without a problem, with only my Ontario driver's licence, and the new law supposedly came into effect Jan. 1. There was no media report of this in Canada at the time.

We are staying at Crown Plaza FLL. Can anyone help with the nearest shopping mall

Terry

How would you define a shopping mall (is it any shopping center with a few stores, an enclosed mall with dept stores and mostly clothing stores, etc)? What kind of stores are you looking for?

Probably department stores. Never been to Fll before. Just looking for some ideas.

Terry

So the nearest shopping mall with Dept stores to Crowne Plaza is Galleria Mall. You can walk about a mile to Harbor Shops and take Suntrolley directly there, or walk just less than a mile to SE 17th St and take the 40 bus directly there. A taxi will cost about $20 each way per taxi.

Sharon

Thanks for your help.

Terry

You are welcome. The suntrolley doesn't run everyday, so check their website for more information. Galleria is not huge but it is very nice and not too crowded. The anchor stores are Macy's, Dillards, and Neiman Marcus, and there are restaurants there too. Macy's and Dillards' prices (especially the sale prices) are amazing compared to Europe. Our British friends love to shop there.

Edited by royalcruz

Are there any restaurants within walking distance of the Quality Inn Airport and CruisePort North? We don't need to buy wine, but will need dinner. Thanks.

The QI is in one of the worst areas of Fort Lauderdale. I would not go for a walk anywhere around there. Just ask the desk clerk if they have local delivery menus, or take a taxi to US1 or Las Olas Blvd or 2nd St a couple of miles away where you'll find dinner.

We are staying at the Sheraton Beach hotel. We will have a whole day with a rental car. We have been to FLL many times, had done water taxi, sun trolley, Everglades, Sawgrass, not into shopping. We were at Miami Marketplace at Christmas.

What can we do? Is there place or town/city near that is interesting to visit?

We are staying at the Sheraton Beach hotel. We will have a whole day with a rental car. We have been to FLL many times, had done water taxi, sun trolley, Everglades, Sawgrass, not into shopping. We were at Miami Marketplace at Christmas.

What can we do? Is there place or town/city near that is interesting to visit?

Wendy - if it is a nice day, you could drive up A1A to Palm Beach. It's a lovely ride (especially if your rental car is a convertible :p). When you get to Palm Beach you can visit the Breakers Hotel and If you are interested in Florida history or the history of railroads in the US or just want to see how the (less than) 1% lived during the Gilded Age (after having seen how they live now on the drive up), don't miss the Flagler museum: http://www.flaglermuseum.us. Then you can take I-95 back to FLL. Jackie

Capriccio, I just did a fun Palm Beach county tour with a friend a few weeks ago. We started at the Breakers. It costs $20 to park but if you spend $20 in the shops/restaurants, they will validate your ticket for free parking. We got coffees and a book and that covered it so we just left a valet tip. Then we went to Worth Ave and had lunch at Taboo (a classic) and then walked up and down the boulevard. It's shopping, but at those prices it was just looking.:) Then we went to Atlantic Ave in Delray and walked around. We ended the day at happy hour at Villagio in Mizner Park for half priced drinks and appetizers. They have some fun stores to browze there, like Z Gallery, the spice store, and Sur le Table.

Another great day trip is to tour Vizcaya in Miami, then finish up at South Beach or Coconut Grove.

Edited by royalcruz

Wendy - if it is a nice day, you could drive up A1A to Palm Beach. It's a lovely ride (especially if your rental car is a convertible :p). When you get to Palm Beach you can visit the Breakers Hotel and If you are interested in Florida history or the history of railroads in the US or just want to see how the (less than) 1% lived during the Gilded Age (after having seen how they live now on the drive up), don't miss the Flagler museum: http://www.flaglermuseum.us. Then you can take I-95 back to FLL. Jackie

How long would it takes to get to Palm Beach?

My brother in law is into railways so the Flagle Museum might be interestng.

How long would it takes to get to Palm Beach?

My brother in law is into railways so the Flagle Museum might be interestng.

About an hour and 30 or 45 minutes via A1A to Palm Beach (interesting and beautiful drive) and about 1 hour return on I-95.