Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Royalcruz:

I have a few questions for you. We are doing a B2B on the Emerald Princess in February. We plan to go to the grocery store or drug store after the first ten days. We need to stockup on soda, water, etc. Can we walk to 17th street or do we need to take a cab. We would also like to go to the beach or take a water taxi for the day. We have never explored Fort Lauderdale. Any ideas!!

Lastly, we have people joining us for the second ten days. Other than the port parking were is a cheap parking lot for 10 days? They are driving in that day. Thanks!

Royalcruz:

I have a few questions for you. We are doing a B2B on the Emerald Princess in February. We plan to go to the grocery store or drug store after the first ten days. We need to stockup on soda, water, etc. Can we walk to 17th street or do we need to take a cab. We would also like to go to the beach or take a water taxi for the day. We have never explored Fort Lauderdale. Any ideas!!

Lastly, we have people joining us for the second ten days. Other than the port parking were is a cheap parking lot for 10 days? They are driving in that day. Thanks!

There is a Walgreens a block outside of the port. Sometimes the Ruby docks at one of the first 3 terminals by 17th St/convention center. You can walk from there but will need to take a cab from the other terminals.

Beach Place is a 3 mile cab ride (beach, restrooms, bars, CVS, and food there), and the water taxi stops at the Hilton Marina, which you can walk to from the first terminals that I mentioned. I don't know anything first hand about the off-site parking, but there are several companies that offer free shuttles to the terminals, like Park N Fly.

I've viewed the boat parade from private homes and from on the parade boats but haven't been to the organized grandstand viewing area so I don't know what it is like. I know that the parade draws out thousands of people and it is hard to park and hard to get a good viewing spot. After seeing it over 15 times, I don't go anymore.

Thanks! I just purchased grandstand tickets and we are setting up transporation (taxi van service) to pick us up at our hotel and drop us off for the parade (with return service as well). Since the grandstands are in the park, where would be a good spot to drop us off since there are no cars allowed in the park? We would like to eat before heading into the park....are there restaurants that are within walking distance to the park (Birch State Park)? The bridge on Sunrise Blvd...can pedestrians walk over the bridge? I see there is a mall that has the shuttle to the park from there...just wondering about walking.

Thanks! I just purchased grandstand tickets and we are setting up transporation (taxi van service) to pick us up at our hotel and drop us off for the parade (with return service as well). Since the grandstands are in the park, where would be a good spot to drop us off since there are no cars allowed in the park? We would like to eat before heading into the park....are there restaurants that are within walking distance to the park (Birch State Park)? The bridge on Sunrise Blvd...can pedestrians walk over the bridge? I see there is a mall that has the shuttle to the park from there...just wondering about walking.

If they aren't allowing cars into the park, you might be best off finding out exactly where the shuttles are going to be picking up from the mall, and if the buses are going to drive into the park and drop off at the viewing area. Make sure you don't miss the last bus, so be in line by 6 (the last one is scheduled to go to the park at 7...don't take any chances with crowds and bridge). You can walk over the bridge, but it goes up around 7 PM and stays up until the parade is over (the park is on the east side of the bridge). On the east side of the bridge there is La Cantina and Franko & Vinnie's. At the mall there is the food court, Mermaid Bar at Neiman Marcus, Seasons 52, PF Changs, Truclucks, and Capital Grill. Across the street from the mall is Jade Palace and Texas de Brazil.

I have a FLL accommodation question which I would like to get an answer or opinion on. I am currently booked at the Gallery One for Good Friday at the rate of $253.00/night including transfer to pier. I will need to cab it from the airport to the hotel which the nearest I can figure will cost me about $25.00 for a total of approximately $278.00.

I am contemplating changing my accommodations over to the Hilton Marina which I can get for $211.00 but I would need to cab it there from the airport and then to the pier the next day. I have no idea what the cabs from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the pier will cost. Does anybody have any idea?

In any event, is it worth my while to change my reservation? Is the Gallery One a more superior accommodation than that of the Hilton Marina? Would I be saving enough in taxi / transfer fares to warrant changing this reservation?

Any thoughts on this? :confused:

Edited by Tinkerbellcgy

RoyalCruz-what are your opinions on the Quality Inn Sawgrass or Days Inn on We. Broward? I really want something on the less expensive since we won't be getting in until around 6:15. We just want something that is safe with eateries within a few blocks. Thanks for any information

I have a FLL accommodation question which I would like to get an answer or opinion on. I am currently booked at the Gallery One for Good Friday at the rate of $253.00/night including transfer to pier. I will need to cab it from the airport to the hotel which the nearest I can figure will cost me about $25.00 for a total of approximately $278.00.

I am contemplating changing my accommodations over to the Hilton Marina which I can get for $211.00 but I would need to cab it there from the airport and then to the pier the next day. I have no idea what the cabs from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the pier will cost. Does anybody have any idea?

In any event, is it worth my while to change my reservation? Is the Gallery One a more superior accommodation than that of the Hilton Marina? Would I be saving enough in taxi / transfer fares to warrant changing this reservation?

Any thoughts on this? :confused:

It will cost about $15 to the Hilton from the airport and then $10 to the pier. Gallery One is a very easy walk to about 10 restaurants.

RoyalCruz-what are your opinions on the Quality Inn Sawgrass or Days Inn on We. Broward? I really want something on the less expensive since we won't be getting in until around 6:15. We just want something that is safe with eateries within a few blocks. Thanks for any information

Sawgrass is quite a distance from the airport and cruiseport. Are they giving you free shuttles both ways? I'm not familiar with the hotel so check tripadvisor. If it is VERY close to the mall there are lots of places to eat there. I wouldn't stay at Days Inn because it is in the worst part of the city.

Have you checked rates at Sleep Inn Dania or LaQuinta Hollywood or Plantation or Hampton Inn Plantation? You can get the 3 star Hilton airport hotel for $62 on lastminutetravel (pretend to book a car with the hotel and you'll see the name of the hotel). I just looked up the Quality Inn Sawgrass. Funny, it's not even in the same city as Sawgrass. It is 4.5 miles from Sawgrass Mills Mall. The only restaurants very close to the hotel is a Denny's, and there is an Indian restaurant in the hotel. The neighborhood isn't horrible but it's not great either, so I wouldn't go wandering any further than Denny's. What is most disconcerting is the horrible reviews on TripAdvisor.

Edited by royalcruz

I just found this thread and have questions about the Fort Lauderdale port. We are driving in and have always gone out of Tampa or Jacksonville. Ft. Lauderdale port on the website looks huge with lots of terminals. Are you assigned a specific terminal to enter? Also, can you drop off your baggage and then park or do you have to park first and take your baggage with you? We will be driving in and also looking for a hotel close to the port and possibly a shuttle to the port.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I just found this thread and have questions about the Fort Lauderdale port. We are driving in and have always gone out of Tampa or Jacksonville. Ft. Lauderdale port on the website looks huge with lots of terminals. Are you assigned a specific terminal to enter? Also, can you drop off your baggage and then park or do you have to park first and take your baggage with you? We will be driving in and also looking for a hotel close to the port and possibly a shuttle to the port.

Thanks for any help you can give.

The port entrances have security gates. You show your ID and tell the guard what ship you are going to and they will give you the terminal number and directions. You should drop off your luggage, then park. There are so many hotels in Fort Lauderdale. Most of the ones by the port do not have free cruise parking and shuttles, but many of the airport area hotels do, including Hampton Inns, LaQuinta, and Sleep Inn. Do a search on the FL board and you will find a lot of good hotel information.

I'm hoping I will get this hotel on hotwire. If I put in 4* Hollywood beach area, the price is coming up $108/night. From what I read on cruisecritic, people are getting either the Westin Diplomat or Crowne Plaza Hollywood. Just wondering, are there restaurants within walking distance of either of these hotels or would we need to rent a car? We will be arriving in Fort Lauderdale 2 days before our cruise in March and would like to stay at a nice hotel on the beach with a nice pool. Any other suggestions in Hollywood or Fort Lauderdale?

I'm hoping I will get this hotel on hotwire. If I put in 4* Hollywood beach area, the price is coming up $108/night. From what I read on cruisecritic, people are getting either the Westin Diplomat or Crowne Plaza Hollywood. Just wondering, are there restaurants within walking distance of either of these hotels or would we need to rent a car? We will be arriving in Fort Lauderdale 2 days before our cruise in March and would like to stay at a nice hotel on the beach with a nice pool. Any other suggestions in Hollywood or Fort Lauderdale?

Westin has an awesome pool. There are several restaurants at the hotel and others within a mile but not that much. The Crowne Plaza is by the broadwalk which has lots of little restaurants.

I have a free night with either the Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port or Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port. Was wondering if either is around some shopping (e.g., liquor/wine) and restaurants within walking distance.

Are the 2 hotels near each other?

They are only a half mile from each other, but I was mistaken about the location of the Crowne Plaza. It is further away from the broadwalk than the Westin Diplomat. It is the Marriott Hollywood Beach that is on the broadwalk. It is about 6 blocks north of most of the restaurants but it might be a better location. Westin is the nicest hotel in the area though.

Need a precruise park and cruise hotel for March for Ft. Lauderdale panama canal cruise. Trying to decide between Cambria Suites and LaQuinta. Any suggestions between these two or other hotels?

Cambria is much newer and nicer but LaQuinta is more convenient to restaurants. Other hotels in that area that cruisers like are Hampton Inn and Springhill Suites. This area is good for 1-2 nights but no more without a car.

Edited by royalcruz

I noticed that the Sun Trolley only runs until 6:30 pm. If we take the trolley to Trulucks restaurant what is the least expensive" way for 3 couples to get back to the Embassy Suites after dinner?

The 40 bus will take you straight back. Check broward county transit for times. Weekend schedules are more spread out and might stop earlier. A taxi will cost about $15.

I have a free night with either the Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port or Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port. Was wondering if either is around some shopping (e.g., liquor/wine) and restaurants within walking distance.

No shopping, maybe a gas station convenience store, not sure. There are a few restaurants a few blocks away if you have someone to walk with: Rustic Inn (most recommended), Islamorada Fish, Tropical Acres (reopening soon).

We just booked a pre-cruise night at the Holiday Inn Express on State route 84. Is this a good area to walk around? Any liquor stores or grocery stores close by?

A couple of blocks east there is a shopping center with WinnDixie, Big Lots, liquor store and sports bar/grill. It's not a great area to walk around but it's ok, just be careful and don't go alone at night.