Special needs assistance

maxydu

After reading different threads on this site as well as others, I am concerned about getting off the ship at the different ports safely. I wear a foot/leg brace and utilize a cane for stability. It sounds like you have to fight crowds, go down stairs, weave through the ship, etc. to get off at ports. I don't want special treatment, but it is not worth risking injury if there is not a plan for assisting special needs folks. Anyone have to deal with this issue in the past?:o

Generally you will have to go down a ramp, not stairs, unless you have to tender. Even then there is usually an elevator to close to where the doors to the tender will be.

You can have your travel agent or you can contact the cruise line and explain your mobility problems and they can provide some assistance for you. But once you get off the ship you will still have issues in many ports if you can't walk.

You can avoid most of the crowds getting off the ship by going after the first hour or so and then by coming back to the ship an hour or so before the ship says to come back.

My wife has some mobility problems and we have done the above and never had a lot of problems getting on or off the ship.

I agree with you that it isn't worth risking additional injury just to get off the ship. There is always plenty of things to do on the ship when it is in port if you decide to stay aboard.

Hope you can work it out and have a great next cruise.

I answered you on another post you have on this same subject. You take elevators to the assigned gangway to leave the ship when in port. If you're tendering, depending on what ship, you may have to walk stairs to the tender platform. But it's orderly and no one should be pushing.

I use a cane or a rollator. Generally I use my cane when getting off the ship at any of the ports as many of them aren't conducive to assistive devices. As a rule I've not had any difficulties getting off the ship, nor getting back on. As others have said, wait till the first "rush" is over then leave at your convenience.

I wear a leg brace (not the thin, pull-on kind :( , but a large contraption that is very noticable under pants), and have found the crew to be very helpful. When the ship is docked there is no problem, just take the elevator down to the correct level and walk down the ramp. If you have a tender port it's a bit trickier, with stairs down to the tender boat. The crew will make sure you are well taken care of. Enjoy!

i use a cane for distance. after a couple of days the LONG walk in to port was daunting. we were able to get a staff person to wheelchair me to the taxi area one day and they lent us the wheelchair to do the same another day. in the terminal there are staff to ask for the same help back. there is SO much walking on a cruise. be good to yourself and ask for help. i have traveled to many islands and find the locals to be very kind and willing,as well.

:) I think you will be fine --- just follow the other suggestions --- the crews

are very helpful --- usually standing at the top and bottom of the ramps -- to make sure you do not fall or stumble. There are even nets on either

side of the ramp -- just in case --- (don't mean to alarm you but at least

you won't end up in the "drink").

On our Panama cruise several years ago ---- there was a lady in one of

the very large and heavy motorized wheelchairs ---- there were about

8 of the crew literally carrying her and her chair off the boat. I wonder if

they got a little "extra" tip that day? (They did this for every port she wanted to see).

Check out the "Disabilities" thread --- there is a wealth of info there. Also, you can rent scooters and motorized wheelchairs that are delivered

to the ship and waiting in your cabin ---- we did this for DH last Jan as

he has angina --- good thing, too ---- he had a flare up of gout which

would have prevented him from doing much of anything. :(

Archived