Do you ever feel uncomfortable about going on a cruise?

travelgyalrox2

I mean, because its such a luxury vacation, with all these ppl waiting on you, and just its reputation. Do you feel wary about tellin freinds you're going on one, and even on the cruise, do u not enjoy it to the fullest because you feel somehow strange?

This is what happens to me.

plz give any view u have, even tips for me not to feel like this, etc

My friends are so great. They listen to endless details about the coming cruise, the last cruise and even cruises 20 years ago. I love everything about cruising and travel and they indulge me even though cruising is not their thing.

Sometimes in very poor countries I get sad that other humans are in such need but whether I cruise or not would not change their circumstances. Jobs and money from my travel does help some. My contributions to charities does help and I can afford to cruise and do some good works.

Yes it looks like I take luxury vacations and I am waited on like royalty. When I get home, I live simply and save for my next luxury vacation. Other people spend their money differently than I do -- their priviledge. I too am allowed to spend my money in a way that brings me great pleasure. I am just grateful I have had the experience of traveling since I was a small child.

Other people spend their money differently than I do -- their priviledge. I too am allowed to spend my money in a way that brings me great pleasure. I am just grateful I have had the experience of traveling since I was a small child.

Well said! I don't feel guilty about any of my vacations I take. I work hard for the money I save to go on vacations. I work tons of overtime and save it all.

People always wonder how I can afford to vacation all the time, but never see the way I am able to do it. I don't do much of anything else. LOL

They all shop, shop, shop for the newest clothes, shoes, movies, DVD's, CD's, eat out all the time etc... Plus, they use a vacation day here and there. Which then adds up and they don't have enough days to go anywhere.

My saying is... If you work hard, you get to play hard... guilt free!

Enjoy and enjoy the future cruises too! I know I will.

I work hard and deserve to vacation however I wish no matter what kind of vacation it is. Yes, cruising does seem like a luxury but my personable opinion is all vacation time is luxury even if it is at home.

Never....ever.....

I work very hard and save for my vacations. I cut corners...don't have a cell phone (don't want one), don't have cable TV (don't want it), buy my books at a book traders.

I save all my change in a coffee can. I love to cook so most meals are made from scratch....with extra made for freezer. Don't eat out much except a couple of times a month with friends or my kids....preferring my own cooking anyway.

I'm not a clothes horse so never go "clothes shopping" unless I need something. Don't buy anything on credit. If I need something, I always have a little cushion in the bank....or, I'll put it on layaway or save up for it.

ALL of my discretionary funds go for travel.....and cruising is my favorite thing.

So, no, I don't feel guilty at all.....love being waited on, love having someone clean my cabin and bring fresh towel twice a day. Love having a wonderful meal served by friendly wait staff who remembers my name and knows I like Caesar salad and espresso.

I'm retired and live on a fixed income. A little savings.....and I sell a lot on eBay.....so it's not as if I'm among the wealthy here. We all have choices in our lives...mine is to cruise, so my efforts go towards that end.

I work a second job and have money taken from my #1 job every month that is saved specifically for cruises. We don't deny ourselves the occasional dinner out, but we don't go to see movies much, we don't have expensive hobbies. We live fairly simply, our cars are paid for and not fancy, I shop for value.

So no, we don't feel any guilt about cruising. We certainly do appreciate the service we receive on the ship and we treat the staff and crew with respect.

I think many people who cruise are not "rich". They are people who enjoy cruising and give up other things to cruise. When our kids were younger we did not even go on a vacation. So now that they are grown and we are on a bit of a limited budget I feel fine taking some time for ourselves.

Absolutely not! As others have said, everyone has their own priorities in life and they usually directly relate to how they spend their money. We have friends who eat out all the time and have to have the latest and greatest in technology when something new comes out. We would be the opposite of that. Heck, we only got cable a couple of years ago, and still don't have caller ID or call waiting because we don't see the point. Some people spend small chunks here and there, while we may plop down a really large chunk at one time on a vacation.

I don't begrudge people on how they spend their money, and they shouldn't me either.

However, the OP lists their location as "Caribbean" so that makes me wonder. Depending on exactly where, the OP could live in an area where there are lots of people living in poverty but yet here they are able to afford such a luxury as a cruise/vacation. I can't speak to that specifically because my family, friends, and coworkers are all comparable economically. Some more blessed than others, but most still living well with plenty of extras. So if this is the case for the OP, I could see where that might be a bit uncomfortable, especially if others' intent is making you feel guilty.

Cruising is not necessarily "luxury" ... I mean, it can be, don't get me wrong, but with prices on mass-market lines, it can a very affordable vacation option. You shouldn't feel strange about being able to take vacation. Some people have it rough and can't ... yes ... but if you want to wait until that's not true you will be waiting your entire life plus forever. People on the ship are waiting on you because they are receiving enough compensation to make it worth while ... they are there voluntarily to serve you.

No, I do not worry what others think. I do think that my in-laws seem to be a little envious that we are able to go cruising when we do, but we work hard to be able to do it and plan accordingly. I do think that many folks see cruising as a luxury, but then again, so is going to Disney World (which is also a lot more expensive than a 7 day cruise) I am not about to apologize for our way of life and what we have accomplished. Each time I get on a cruise ship it is a reward for all the hard work and planning that we do though out the year.

Absolutely NOT!

I'm retired, worked hard for everything I have, and saved for retirement. Even now, I save every month so I can travel. I choose that over things like remodeling my kitchen or endless shopping.

Cruising, in my mind, is the best vacation value, and I enjoy every minute of it. I worked hard to be in this position, and I'm going to keep on enjoying it for as long as my health and finances allow me to.

If the time comes when I can no longer go on cruises, I have pictures and wonderful memories of where I've have been fortunate enough to have gone, so I will be able to continue to enjoy my experiences.

I sometimes feel "guilty" when I tell others that we're going on a cruise, especially if I know they are having a hard time financially. However, like the others said, we budget for our cruise and don't do a lot of spending otherwise. In addition, it is the easiest way for me to take a vacation since I have health problems. So, yes, I feel a little "guilty" saying we're going on a cruise but not enough to make me even think twice about going.

Absolutely not.

We don't think cruising is a luxury, we think it is money spent wisely.

For example, we live in the UK and to go to Spain (for instance) for a 2 week holiday costs approximately the same as going on a cruise to the Caribbean. The pound against the euro at the moment is so bad that going out for meals/drinks is so expensive.

Give me cruising any day :D

We work hard, watch our expenses, pay our (continually rising) taxes, and feel we've earned a week of relaxation.

No guilt at all. :)

Sure I have friends that I wish could 'afford' to cruise with us... but those same friends dine out 5x as much as we do, take little trips here and there all year, have more kids than we do, have newer cars than we do... You get the idea.

Do we feel guilty about cruising...hmmm, let me ponder this...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

NO! We worked 30+ years, raised our children, never ever took a vacation while the kids were growing up, paid for their college education and all that time our family never wanted for anything. So now its our turn, we're retired and enjoying the time we have to ourselves, doing and traveling when and where we want. Sometimes when talking to friends about upcoming cruises and vacations I feel I should "shut up" but then I remember how these same people would talk and talk about the vacations they took while raising their families(leaving the kids at home) and I say to myself...well now's our time! With any luck on the kids side, there might be something left for them when we go! If not...oh well....

Life is to darn short, enjoy what you can, when you can,while you can w/o any guilt.

Archived