Late Seating Dinner and Kids

liznosnow

We have seen very few children at late seating - it is at 8:30 and usually not over with until 10 or 10:30.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

Liz.....I can't answer your question exactly, because we were always at early seating with our children.

Even so, your child may not want to be with you at dinner.....if she gets hooked up with friends (and she will!!!)...she can be at the teen program...or just out and about on her own! And, if she is at dinner with you, do not worry! Having a child in the dining room (at any age) is not an issue! What will happen is that the waiters will cater to her every whim!! She will love it!

We just have certain nights that we require our children to be present in the dining room....and other nights, we give them the choice.

No worry! icon_wink.gif

Boo's Mom

Even the winds and the waves obey him!

Matthew 8:27

Liz, I have found that Celebrity isn't billed as a family ship like some of the other cruise lines. They do have a great children's program and I am sure your dd will have a blast. That said, when we cruise with our children we always go to early seating out of respect for the people who want a more adult atmosphere. I find that families and more conservitive people eat earlier, and that people who want to have that adult time and party time eat later. When we don't cruise with our kids we are in the late seating catagory for sure. Don't know if this helps.

Cant wait till 4/25 Infinity!

Liz:

If your kid is well behaved, well mannered and reasonably mature, it doesn't matter which seating you are at. If you let him/her run around the dining room, at will, it also won't matter which seating you are at.

Regards

Hi Liz:

We always choose the second seating - 8:30 dinner for our cruises, our kids are now 10 and 14 and for us the early dinner rushes us a little too much during excursion days getting washed and dressed for dinner. The stress of getting ready and trying to make it to dinner when we had the first seating was too much for our laid back family. Now we opt usually eat a late dinner since we eat a relatively late dinner at home usually and that may be why it works out better for us. However, sometimes my daughter is too tired for the shows so if the kids or we are hungry/decide to pass on late dinner, there are always other choices on board too.

Good luck with whatever decision you make! I know it will work out for you whichever one you choose!

Melissa icon_smile.gif

Due to a snafu we were seated at a table of 8 instead of 6 and I was concerned our 8 year old grandson would upset the other 3 folks at our table, (we requested a table for 6 for the 5 in our family).

Nick was taken care of by our waitstaff, he was usually finished with his dinner when we were starting our entree's, he would ask to be excused and go on his merry way.

He became the hit of our table and our little cornor of the dining room. One night the kids and grandson were all tired and had sushi, everyone asked about him. Another night he wanted to stay with the kids group. On our 8 nights he sat with all of us 6 times.

All of the adults at the table became good friends during that 8 days and on one of the last nights after NIck excused himself and took off for greener pastures I asked our tablemates this, "O.K., be honest, the first night, when we came and sat down what did you think when you saw an 8 year old.?" Paulette replied "I figured if you decided to bring him to late seating you must have had enough faith in him to know he could pull it off." I liked that, what a great answer.

I think 12 is certainly old enough to "pull it off". Now you and she need to decide if it is what you want to do.

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska

Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/2/04

Mercury Cruise Pic's 3/13/04

http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100

I brought my 12 year old daughter to late seating and she was so polite and poised with the staff. I loved watching her "grow up". She was not demanding of the staff like most adults were. We usually snack on Pizza or something at 4:00PM so late dinner is perfect for us. The waiter would offer my daughter the french fries from the kids menu to go with her adult menu entree!

Hi Liz! We sailed on the Constallation (Jan 24th), with our 7 and 8 year olds. We have always been "late diners" and booked the late seating (also with some concerns). Everything worked beautifully. The children joined us at the formal dinners plus one other and were on their best behavior..this is not always the case, but they knew what we were expecting of them. I can't tell you how many fellow passengers made a visit to the table to complement them on their behavior. There was also another couple whom we all became friends with who also had the late seating with their 5 year old. Overall,there were very few children on board so I would do whatever is best for you. By the way, on the evenings that the children did not dine with us, they had room service and then went to the Fun Factory which they loved. This allowed us to have some adults only dinners at the late seating. We can't wait to do it again. Have fun!

We've been cruising since our daughters were 4 and 8. We have always had late seating, but we eat later at home, as well, so this was not a huge adjustment. They have always handled it well and even as a 4 yo, our youngest was the perfect lady, but we always sit down to dinner at home and make them behave there, as well. They are now 12 and 16. The 12 yo would prefer early seating because the youth activities are going on during late seating, but we compromise on which nights she gets room service and eats early and which nights she goes with us. BTW, she would NEVER choose to miss a formal night! You know your child better than anyone. If you think he/she can do it, I wouldn't hesitate. A couple of weeks ago on the Galaxy there were several children of all ages at late seating.

Becky

In March on Galaxy, the table next to us had two boys, ages 8 & 11 at late seating. My first thought was "oh no", however we were pleasantly surprised. These boys knew how to behave at an adult dinner, formal night, they and dad showed up in Tuxes and it was so nice to see. I did compliment the parents on how nicely behaved their boys were. It was so nice to see people raising "nice" kids and teaching them the proper manners to attend any function, formal or not. I guess my answer is, you know your child, if well behaved, it will be no problem whatsoever. If not, don't do it to others.

Marilyn

I can actually answer this from both perspectives. My mother always insisted on late seating when my brother and I were young. She was often met with frosty looks from the Maitre d', and with varying looks of concern from other passengers. My brother and I would opt out of dinner when we wanted to join other kids, otherwise we got into the rhythm of the ship, and found eating late allowed us the perfect excuse to stay up for the midnight buffet! (I believe) we were well behaved at 9 and 11 y.o., and that Mom made the right choice. We were often complimented on our manners, and it was a very positive experience.

Fast forward twenty one years, and I was seated at late seating with a family at a large table, and they had a nine year old. He had impecable manners, conversed with the other guests, and even put me in my place! I asked him the first night if this was his first cruise, and he blandly looked at me, and replied "No, it's my fourteenth, but looks to be a fun one!

Ten more years have passed, and I love seeing (well-behaved) kids on cruises, both for the memories I have a a kid-cruiser, and for the fact that if you don't expose children to these situations early on, they'll be helpless as young adults. That said, other passengers may decide that they want to move-they are there for the company of other adults, as part of their cruise experience. As long as every handles this properly, no one should be offended. Usually couples leave with a "Oh, we didn't realize our friends Patty and Mike were on-board, and we'll be dining with them. Enjoy the rest of your cruise, and I'm sure we'll see you..."

I'll end this really long post with one of my favorite (and slightly pretentious) stories of late seating. On a crossing form New York to Italy, my mother was refused late seating, and sailed forth to the ship's lobby armed for war. The Concierge relented, and, as punishment, stuck us in the far reaches of the dining room, forgetting that the Duchess of Windsor had requested a table away from the noise in that same corner. Horrified to find out his "mistake," he hovered solicitously every evening, and my mother complimented him on the stellar service we received! The Duchess seemed unfazed, and even took a passing interest on my brother's and my table manners, giving a nod to my mother if we handled something well (salad dressing on the tie apparently being her favorite) When the Maitre d' found out we weren't going to run around the table screaming and firing spit balls at the other passengers, even he relaxed and enjoyed the situation. That was the last time the Duchess crossed the Atlantic, and a special childhood memory for me. Mom's response from then on was, "If the Duchess of Windsor can handle this, so can the rest!"

Blazer Boy

Liz,

Having "just" gotten off of the Mercury yesterday I can tell you what we did! We chose the late seating even w/our 11yr old DD. We have always chosen this seating as there are usually very few children and it gives her the option of going to the kids activities if they are more interesting than what's on the menu.

We also talk w/her before each cruise about what kind of behavour(sp) is expected of her during the evening meals. I am proud to say she has never disappointed us and we have been cruising since she was 7.

LGMicon_smile.gif

Carnival 4/00

Disney Wonder 8/00

Disney Wonder 11/01

Disney Wonder 4/02

Celebrity Mercury 4/04

Disney Magic 11/05

Wow! Thanks for the great response everyone! I feel confident in my choice for late seating now. I have no doubts as to whether my DD can handle herself (has been great on our other cruises with Carnival) and has been taught how to handle herself respectfully with adults since she was little. As several of the other Moms mentioned, she can go to kids club if she chooses, room service and a movie or whatever. In observing other people's children: my husband and I enjoy well behaved children in most scenarios and on the same note an ill-behaved one can spoil most any even!!

Blazerboy - Thanks for the nice story. We are hoping to build on those "fond" memories with our daughter. Nice to hear it was such a special experience for you and your brother!

Thanks y'all!

Liz

I'm glad too as I cannot stand early seating....too much pressure to get in from the pool and get ready---especially w/ kids, I'm glad we won't havta rush...

Celebrity Century

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;10;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Millenium Thanksgiving!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;11;21;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Just off the Infinity (sorry to the "the" haters!). I brought my 6-year-old to the late seating and it worked just fine. The wait staff hovered over her like she was a little princess (of course, I'm gonna have to disabuse her of that notion quickly!). There were plenty of kids at the late seating.

We sat on the 5th deck level of the Trellis. There was a group of little snots down on the 4th deck who were running rampant. My daughter was looking at them like she was examining bugs under a microscope. icon_eek.gif I think someone must have said something 'cause we didn't see them any more after that.

My daughter attended the pizza party on the 1st formal night and we went to the specialty restaurant. Don't forget, they do allow kids in the speciality restaurant starting at 12. I saw several 12-year-olds there, but I would really make sure your pre-teen could deal with the l-o-n-g experience (about 3 hours). Another night, my daughter ate dinner early and went to the kids club. She joined us when the regular club ended at 10 and the waiter had her favorite sundae waiting for her.

We didn't get any negative comments and I didn't notice any stares either. Eat when you are comfortable and everything else will fall into place.

Leslie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;4;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we board the Infinity!!!!</BR>

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

My daughter prefered early cause thats when most of the other teens she was friends with were eating. I would hate to cut into her social life.

She is 14- and went with me and two other woman friends to Ocean liners.

You know your child and your family. So go with that. Bear in mind for European/Alaska etc cruises the time changes and how much that may affect them, esp if they are very young.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

Archived