Packing clothes in 2gal. zip locks?

SouthernGal58

Hi everyone, Im not a "newbie" to cruising but I have a question. Have any of you ever heard of packing clothes in 2 gal. zip lock bags? A friend of mine said that she read somewhere that it helps to control wrinkles and takes up lesss room (that part makes sense). Anyway, Im just wondering if there is some special way you are suppose to fold the clothing, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have never found that packing clothing in a plastic bag helps avoid wrinkles; in my case, the clothes were even more wrinkled.

Just keep in mind that the weight is the same, and it's easy to overpack this way. Have you tried rolling your clothes? Personally, I pack flat and use tissue paper and dry cleaner bags with good success.

Hi everyone, Im not a "newbie" to cruising but I have a question. Have any of you ever heard of packing clothes in 2 gal. zip lock bags? A friend of mine said that she read somewhere that it helps to control wrinkles and takes up lesss room (that part makes sense). Anyway, Im just wondering if there is some special way you are suppose to fold the clothing, etc.

I've been doing it for years for all sorts of travel! It's the same concept as the vacuum type bags that are sold for travel- you put your clothes in the bag, zip it closed, then roll the bag, open the zipper a bit, and press all the air out. Voila!

It's perfect for packing lingerie and travel knit (slinky) clothing, but it also works great for just about any sort of clothing, especially if you fold them around some tissue paper. (I don't just use the 2 gallon bags- smaller sizes are also useful, esp for socks and underwear.)

They also help organize your suitcase. Sometimes, I put some of the filled bags inside packing cubes, for extra organization (and less shuffling in the suitcase- by both the clothing, and by me). It makes unpacking and then repacking your suitcase much less of a hassle.

[No, I'm not a control freak :p. I do a lot of travel, and don't like to pack more than one small suitcase, even if I'll be on the road for a month or two.

I've learned that the better organized my suitcase, the less I wind up packing, and the happier I travel.]

(BTW, the zip lock bags are also great for packing your carry-on.)

There's another benefit to using the clear zip lock bags when packing: if your bag is chosen for inspection by TSA, it makes it easier for them to search your bag. And, because they can see inside the zip-locs, they rarely, if ever, open them, so you know your clothes (especially your 'delicates') haven't been handled (ew! :eek:)

HTH!

I pack everything I can in zip-lock bags. I pack them in "outfits"--a pair of shorts, two tee-shirts, socks, belt, whatever. I used to try and squeeze the air out of them by sitting on them while closing. I found the air "sneaked" back in and "vacuum" packing caused wrinkles as it "shrunk" up the things. As another poster pointed out, it weighs the same be it air tight or not. I smooth the things out as much as I can and really haven't had that many wrinkles.

As another poster pointed out, you can move things in "units" looking for something and not "root" wrinkling as he went and causing me to "repack" a few times.

Be sure to "cross pack," putting half your things in each bag with half your traveling partner's things. If one suitcase decides to take a different airline or cruise than the other, you can limp along until it shows up or you can get replacements. Another reason to pack in "outfits." You won't have your slacks in one suitcase and the belt, shoes in another.

We carry on our formal clothes, bathing suits, walking shoes, anything that would be a real pain if we didn't have with us and we don't have "duplicates" for in another suitcase.

On the return trip, the zip lock bags are good for containing odor when repacking soiled clothing items. I go so far as to separate them repacking by wash "loads" (whites, lights, dark) so all I have to to is dump them in a laundry basket and start the washer going. I "repack" as we accumulate "dead soldiers" (clothing that won't be worn again) so that the last day I have probably half my packing done.

Tucker in Texas

Zip lock bags won't reduce the weight of your luggage and will not prevent the wrinkles. Usually I roll all of my clothing which at least gives me more space in my suitcase.

I've never used the zip lock bags. It just seems like a lot of work to me, and I am a big fan of Downey Wrinkle Releaser, so it seems unnecessary too.

When we arrive and unpack, we put a laundry bag in the closet. When it's time to pack to go home, we use one of our suitcases for all the dirty clothes, which are inside the laundry bag anyway. Dirty hiking shoes or such would go in that same suitcase. The other suitcase is for the clean clothes we always seem to have because we overpacked, as well as the camera, souvenirs, books, etc.

I pack all my clothes in ziplock bags. If you spend the time folding them very well, and use care getting them into the bags....and press the air out as you close the zip, you'll be fine.

I've never had to iron a thing......and I find the packing process much easier.

For undies and casual wear, I leave them in the bags and place them either in a drawer or on the shelves in the closet.......quick unpacking job too.

We sometimes pack things in even larger ziplock bags to prevent leekage if there are liquids & to use as a hamper for dirty clothes on board. They sell these giant bags at Target & WalMart.

debndavebikerun -- the only place I know to get dry cleaning bags is that the come over my clothes when I pick them up from the cleaners.

Please excuse this silly question, but I keep reading about people using dry cleaning bags to pack their clothes so they won't wrinkle. Where do you get these bags? Do you have to get something dry cleaned to get them?? Thanks for any help!

Deb :confused:

I'm anxious to hear this answer too. ;)

I'm a roller too. It keeps outfits together, and you can fit so much into one suitcase if everything's rolled!

My daughters LOVE the two-gallon ziplocks to pack their things for summer camp, but I haven't been able to find those large bags lately. Where are you buying them?

Please excuse this silly question, but I keep reading about people using dry cleaning bags to pack their clothes so they won't wrinkle. Where do you get these bags? Do you have to get something dry cleaned to get them?? Thanks for any help!

Deb :confused:

I asked at my dry cleaners and they gave me a bunch of them

I'm a roller too. It keeps outfits together, and you can fit so much into one suitcase if everything's rolled!

My daughters LOVE the two-gallon ziplocks to pack their things for summer camp, but I haven't been able to find those large bags lately. Where are you buying them?

I've only been able to find them at Target here in my area (coastal SC).

• 2 weeks later...

When we went out west on a 2 week road trip, we had 3 smaller girls. We packed daily outfits (with underware and socks) into gallon ziplock bags and then when we got to our hotel, the girls each chose an outfit to wear for the next day and that way we didn't have to take in all the suitcases. Could be used on a cruise too!!

When we went out west on a 2 week road trip, we had 3 smaller girls. We packed daily outfits (with underware and socks) into gallon ziplock bags and then when we got to our hotel, the girls each chose an outfit to wear for the next day and that way we didn't have to take in all the suitcases. Could be used on a cruise too!!

I used to do the same with my boys. We would take bus tours of Europe and before they could get their next day's outfits, they had to turn in that day's outfit. If it was something that could be worn again, then it wasn't wadded up and thrown on the floor and with "be up and suitcases out at 7:30 a.m," I didn't need to be checking under the beds for dirty clothes.

I pack my jumbo bags for cruises by "outfits" so if one suitcase goes astray, I have complete outfits in the other. It, also, helps when TSA decides to "rummage" that they stay relatively unwrinkled. They pulled my suitcases last week for a further inspection (I had some frozen food in them) and all they did was move the bags around and wand the suitcase after sending my frozen food through the scanner again. I guess you can't have a bomb in frozen food (lol). They did make the remark that the "Mrs." must have packed because how efficient it was. I guess, they didn't notice that the things in the bag were just kinda stuffed because they were all dirty clothes destined for the washing machine.

Tucker in Texas

best advice for minimum wrinkles...rolling or packing tightly. packing tightly doesn't mean 125lbs ...it just means pack to where things move around less....i do keep some of my clothes in bags....but for protection not for keeping awaywrinkles...as anything that's bent/creased can wrinkle even in a plastic bag if it's made out of a certain material. synthetics (polyester) will travel the best with least wrinkling...linen will wrinkle the most.

downy wrinkle releaser works great as does hanging your clothes in the bathroom when you shower...you can help "steam" out the wrinkles for those clothes that you don't want to spray.

best advice for minimum wrinkles...rolling or packing tightly. packing tightly doesn't mean 125lbs ...it just means pack to where things move around less....i do keep some of my clothes in bags....but for protection not for keeping awaywrinkles...as anything that's bent/creased can wrinkle even in a plastic bag if it's made out of a certain material. synthetics (polyester) will travel the best with least wrinkling...linen will wrinkle the most.

downy wrinkle releaser works great as does hanging your clothes in the bathroom when you shower...you can help "steam" out the wrinkles for those clothes that you don't want to spray.

Amen!!!! I roll the clothes before putting them in the zip-lock bags.

Tucker in Texas

I use the ziplocks for the small stuff, socks/underwear, cosmetic items. It's more convenient if your bag gets searched. The dry-cleaner bags I use with the garment bag section of my luggage. If I don't have any dry-cleaner bags, I cut a hole in a kitchen sized trash bag for the hangers to go thru. I store the bags in my luggage and use until they fall apart. I think it does help reduce wrinkles. I also pack my hanging clothes on thin wire hangers and just use those hangers on the ship. It's so much quicker to unpack!

I've always used the ziplock bags - I get them at the grocery store Hefty Jumbo 2 1/2 gal size. Right with the the ziplock bags. I never have a problem with clothes wrinkling ... and I also pack by outfit.

I get my dry cleaner bags right at the dry cleaners ... I've never had to pay for them.

Someone mentioned cross packing --- in August was the first time ever that I cross packed .... two suitcases .... one went to Shanghi, China - we went to San Juan Puerto Rico. It took a week to get the clothes back. Just make sure that when you cross pack you have the correct shoes in the bag with the right clothes. Jan

the plastic bags also prevent clothes from getting wet...from sitting in the rain waiting for loading onto the plane or ship, someone else's broken liquor bottle, a defrosted leaking frozen fish or just your mouthwash. (the fish happened to a close friend!) It won't help if your bag drops off the conveyor into the sea while being loaded...witnessed that!! I find the big bags at Target or Walmart around here.

the plastic bags also prevent clothes from getting wet...from sitting in the rain waiting for loading onto the plane or ship, someone else's broken liquor bottle, a defrosted leaking frozen fish or just your mouthwash. (the fish happened to a close friend!) It won't help if your bag drops off the conveyor into the sea while being loaded...witnessed that!! I.

:eek: That must be one for the funniest vacation videos! OMG I would be so peaved if it were my bag.

I am all for using the ziplocs and the space bags. Find them to be very organizational and makes more room in the luggage. We re-use them til they fall apart. We are taking our carry-ons only this time and found the 2 gal sized space-bag types. Easily fits one mix/match outfit including socs and unders in one bag. Great for the person who doesn't want to pack/unpack. We pack 5 bags each for a 10 day trip. We are able to pack a total of 4 capris/shorts, 2 bathing suits and cover ups, 4 mix/match shirts and tanks, and 10 days worth of unders, and one 3 pc PJ set. They come out smelling fresh and hardly wrinkled. I just roll 'em and slide them in like they are little sausages..best way to describe.

We use zip-lock bags, especially for the underwear...think airport bag inspections. We were "chosen" for an inspection and there in all it's glory was my daughter's very large cups for the world to see. We had all purchased a nutcracker on one of the islands, and finally, after about a 15 minute inspection in San Juan, the security guy said that it looked on the x-rays like we were trying to block something..which prompted the inspection, which prompted the bras laying all over the conveyer belt. We now use the zip locks for underwear so that if we are ever "chosen" again, at least the underwear won't be so "exposed"...I also like the zip locks because when I get on the ship, my undies are able to be thrown into a drawer and easily retrieved to take to the bathroom at shower time. Feels VERY organized.

Archived