Best caribbean beaches itineraries

formula14

Hi! Hoping to get some advice please... Last year we took our 1st cruise & we loved our stop in St Thomas. My wife & I are real beach bums... we just love the beach. We're not into shopping or canopy tree hoping excursions, just take us to the beach & we're as happy as can be.

We're planning our 2nd cruise but wanted to know from experienced cruisers what itineraries offer the best options for quality time in presitine beaches. Southern or Western? We already did Eastern & wanted to try something new.

We're looking at either:

A Western itineray taking us to Georgetown, Grand Cayman, | Cozumel, Mexico | Costa Maya, Mexico & Roatan, Honduras

or a

Southern Itinerary taking us to Bridgetown, Barbados, Castries, St. Lucia, St. Johns, Antigua, Philipsburg, St. Maarten, St. Croix, U.s.v.i.

All these places sound exotic & nice, but seeing how we just want nice beaches to really relax, which would be the better itinerary?

Also, we have the option of taking this cruise in the 1st week of May or 1st week of July... what would be the better bet weather wise?

Hoping someone that's done both itineraries can chime in :) Thanks in advance for your guidance!

IMHO for beaches the Southern Itinerary taking us to Bridgetown, Barbados, Castries, St. Lucia, St. Johns, Antigua, Philipsburg, St. Maarten, St. Croix, U.s.v.i. will be the one to cruise on.

The Western route is much better for Mayan ruins.

Have a great next cruise.

You need to get a guidebook on the ports you might visit...that will tell you about all the beaches in each country...how far they are, what it will cost to get there, if there are bathrooms, restaurants....everything you need to know!

Then, you can determine if you can go it on your own, or if you need to pay for an excursion.

A little bit of research can save you BIG bucks!

Libraries have them (for free!), or bookstores sell them. Read one!

Thank you for the great replies & advice. I'm leaning towards the Southern itinerary more & more. My only last question is when is it better to go? ...beginning of May or beginning of July? May's less expensive, I'm wondering if it's because it's rainier in May.

Southern it is then! Thanks for all the help. I'm going to do some research & try to find historical data on percipitation those months. I'm assuming weather patterns are more or less the same year to year. If we can avoid the "wet" season, all the better... makes for a more pleasant vacation :)

Another vote for the southern Caribbean. Antigua has 365 beaches! And next time your itinerary takes you to St. Thomas, I'd recommend an excursion over to St. John that day. Some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Hurricane season runs June through November, and I think you'll find that statistically most occur in the month of September. Although Mother Nature is unpredictable as we know!

Formula 14

We were on RCI Seranade of the Seas this past March (2nd Southern Cruise), the best beach is Antigua, quite and the water is pristine. We have done 5 Cruises through the Caribbean (never have we done a Western), but hope to sometime. Next stop Europe 10/03/09. Enjoy your cruise it is a bit addicting!! Cheers.

We like beaches and warm water. I would go the later date. We went on a cruise last May and the water was downright cold to us. We now now September/October is our time as the water has always been nice and warm.

I vote for the southern route as well.

You have to try them all, but our fav's are the southern, Barbados, Antigua are the best we've seen. Although Doctor's Cave in Montego Bay and 7 Mile Beach in Negril and spots in Cozumel are also gorgeous - tour the entire Carib!

Archived