Using Euro's

I've been in Turkey and they accept €uros. The same happens in Monaco. But it's only in turistic places, like restaurants, souvenirs stores... Maybe you can find a store where they don't acept €uros. But be careful, because if you don't give the exact money, they usually give you the change bad; this is what happened to me in Malta before they accept €uros in the country...

The turks are great Entreprenaurs and will accept Euros, dollars or their own Lira. Credit cards (MC and Visa) are also widely accepted. We think it is a good idea to get some Lira (you can use ATMs) but it is not a necessity. As to Monoco, that tiny country operates almost as an extension of France (don't tell Prince Albert I said this) and their official currency is the Euro.

Hank

Turks indeed will accept Euros, but all admissions to government-run tourist sights, such as Topkapi Palace, must be paid in Turkish Lira and very few of those sights will accept credit cards.

I used Euros for everything in Monaco in June.

Since we will be on ship's excursions on our two days in Istanbul, I think the only time we will need currency is the 2 hours or so we will be spending at the covered market (and other market next to it) or perhaps stopping for a snack.... would it be prudent to get some Turkish Lira or would Euros be all we would need at most spots?

Thanks,

Robin

Be careful using Euros in Turkey; IME, you will save money using Lira. For example, while purchasing stamps at the post office, we were given the choice of paying six Euros or six Lira.

6 TRY = $4.02 US

6 EUR = $8.53 US

Which would you rather pay? We stuck to Lira.

You will get a better deal using lira in Turkey, but unless you're doing a lot of shopping, it's probably not worth your time getting lira just for the markets. All the merchants will take euros. You do need lira if you are paying your own way at the sights or using the tram; but just for snacks, I wouldn't bother. If you do get lira, don't get more than you can spend, or you will have to pay a steep rate to sell them back.

Everywhere we were in Monaco, euros were the currency of choice.

Archived