Looking for guide in Egypt who will do a custom tour

mconthehighseas

Hello, Kathy & Reba,

Please, Kathy, can you, or Reba, please also post the itinerary in Cairo and Alex here? I have corresponded once with George; however, his e-mail is very confusing. I would like to know what all you will be visiting. Thank you very much.

:D:D;):D:D

I haven't gotten that far yet, Crown Prince; however, after we return (but that will be a year from December!!), I will certainly do that. I'm hoping Reba will respond and give us her exact itinerary. Why reinvent the wheel, right? If she emails me, I'll suggest she come back here and put it right on this thread for everyone.)

(I will tell you that we do not plan to do Alexandria - we will do the two-night Cairo excursion.)

Kathy

I will try to answer your questions about our stay in Cairo.

First of all I comprised my itinerary after spending hours reading the Egypt boards and reading about everything that previous travelers had written.

There were 5 couples traveling together.

We were picked up at the dock in Alexandria - got off the ship as soon as possible. We took food from the cruise ship with us so we would not have to stop to eat lunch - did not want to waste the time eating in a restaurant.

We drove straight to Giza - walked all around the site - Samo (our guide) from Ramses Tours took us to the best photographic spots and even posed us for the best shots. We did not go into the big pyramid but went into another pyramid that was off to the side. We went thru the Solar Boat Museum. Samo arranged for camel rides for those of us that wanted to do that (it turns out that of three couples - we all paid different prices for the ride- negotiations were held separately for each couple) Costly lesson - but it was fun (and terrifying).

From there we drove down to the Sphinx and Samo posed us for some more pictures.

Since the main sites were closing early in Egypt Samo suggested we go to the Cairo Museum since that is open later. Samo was bursting with knowledge and wanted to tell us sooo much but we were scheduled for the Sound and Light Show so he gave us the best highlights he could in a short time. We saw the King Tut room and maybe by going later it was less crowded. You could spend 3 weeks in the museum and not see everything.

Straight from there to the Sound & Light Show. There were 100's of tourists there but Samo went ahead of us and saved seats for us. The show is okay, you must do it once. Just to sit there amidst the Pyramids and Sphinx at night is breathtaking. Samo had the bus waiting for us as soon as we got out.

Samo gave us our choice for dinner - more traditional food or more Egyptian style. We went to Cleopatra's Restaurant and had a very deliicious buffet.

Then on to Le Meridian for the night. By the way - the other four couples went straight to bed but my husband and I went back to the lobby and there was an Egyptian wedding taking place down there. How magnificent what we saw. The bride, the music and all the traditions were fascinating. After about an hour the wedding moved into a private ballroom and that was it for us for the night.

Samo met us at 7:30am the next morning and took us straight to Memphis and then to Sakkara. At Sakkara we went into a Mastaba and it was so fascinating and wonderous. The climb down is not for everybody. Lots of stooped walking and treacherous ramps - only 3 of us did this. Just wondered around the area for a while and then back into the bus heading into Old Cairo. Went into the Citadel, Mohammed Ali Mosque, the old Synagogue and ending in Khan Kahilili Bazaar for about 30 minutes.

I forgot at which point we stopped for lunch. Samo gave us another choice and we voted for the Hard Rock Cafe just because it was a buffet, clean and fast.

We headed back to Alexandria - and it was getting dark and pouring rain. We opted to go back to the ship but Samo wanted us to see some sites in Alexandria. We drove by the lighthouse and also the Library. The King's Palace was another hour away and we would never have made it back in time to the ship.

It was an exhausting two days. George at Ramses Tours warned me that it was "intensive and difficult" but we did it all!!!

Another wonderful thing is that we did not have to purchase any of the entry tickets - Samo handled all the money aspects for us for the entire time and we just paid him the agreed upon price at the end of the trip.

Please feel free to write to me at: arothman@aol.com with questions - I can also send you pictures.

Reba

• 1 month later...

As I am planning our third trip to Egypt, I found this thread and thought I would share our experience with Ramses last November!

Having been to Egypt from a cruise before, we had already been to Gizeh, Saqqara and Memphis, so we wanted something different! I also needed a French speaking guide! Ramses did a beautiful job of answering all my questions, and building an itinerary that would suit us and the time we had!

We were picked up promptly just after 7 am from the Alexandria terminal. Our guide Karim and driver Mustafa were both great! The drive into Cairo appeared very quick. We stopped in an oasis along the way to use the restroom and get a coffee!

Our visits included the Citadel, Coptic Cairo, lunch at the Hard Rock Café and a Felucca ride on the Nile! It was fabulous!

Upon our return to Alexandria, we did a quick tour of the main sites - Library and the Qaitbey Fortress before returning to the ship right on time at 8 pm.

This was one of the best excursions I've ever done! And the price was a much better value than doing this with a large group.

We're going back next November, this time for an overnight! So I need to work on a new itinerary, which Ramses is helping build for us!!

MC

I agree with Marie-Claude's comments about Ramses Tours. We just came back in late Dec from a cruise that stopped over in Alexandria for 2 nites. We did a one day tour of the pyramids.

Great tour guide & driver...would highly recommend this company for cruisers looking for a tour company

Harold

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, you can count us as another group of happy Moustafa customers. He and his team really made us feel like VIPs or family. I had been very hesitant about booking a private tour, especially since we were women alone with small children, and now I can't imagine having done anything but a Moustafa tour. Even though the ship was four hours late in arriving, the tour was perfect from start to finish and it was nice not having to worry about anything but enjoying the sites the entire time we were there. And it's interesting that we did many different things with our children than Live for Life and we all had a great time - just shows how flexible Moustafa is and how he works with you in planning exactly what you want - AND how much there is to do in Alexandria/Cairo. We can't wait to go back.

Best,

Mia

• 4 weeks later...

hi, just wondering, for those who did the overnight tour with ramses from alexandria, if on the first day we visit the pyramids, museum and sakkarah, how much time would be left before the sound and light show? i know it can vary a lot depending on how much time you spend in these places but considering a normal visit with a group of 15, would there be much time left for stops like the papyrus institute or is it preferable to decide from the start to skip those shopping places and spend all the time before the sound and light show at the pyramids, museum and sakkarah.

thank you

• 1 month later...

We used Ramses Tours for our two day Eqypt visit in October, 2009. I can't say enough how terrific our guide, Mohammed, was. He made the Egyptian Museum come alive for us - his explanations were at just the right level - not simple but not assuming a great deal of knowledge on our part, either. Mohammed took very good care of us; we always felt safe. We stayed ashore overnight and he did not leave us until he had checked us into the hotel. Later that evening he called to see if everything was satisfactory and whether we needed anything. When he took us to the various sites he tried to time the visits so that we did not wait in lines, or arrive with hordes of tour buses. I highly recommend Ramses Tours.

I was quoted $120USD per person for 2 people for a private full day tour to see:

pyramids, museum, Giza + Sphinx

A/C van transport

Is this a fair price ?

I got the same quote for the same tour for September. We're on the Westerdam and are looking for people to join us. I posted on the ship's roll call. It seems like a fair price for two. The ship's tour is $224each but that includes lunch and admissions.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Egypt and used Blue Nile for custom tours of Luxor, Sharm and Cairo. We booked ahead of time a tour for four people and added one to five folks that we found on the ship. We emailed blue nile the extra folks and they adjusted the size of the vehicle. I would highly recommend them.

• 1 month later...

Well, we just booked with Ramses for May 2011. We're doing a customized private tour, and (Mr.) George has been amazingly patient with us and our many questions.

Ultimately, we're doing an overnight tour, concentrating on Dahshur, Saqqara, and Memphis the first day, overnighting at the Mena House, and seeing Giza early on the second day, and finishing up with the Egyptian Museum.

We also talked with another tour company, but ultimately, Ramses is offering a better value and more flexibility. The major deciding point for us was that the Egyptologist from Ramses will be with us from the moment we meet the driver in Alexandria until we are returned to the ship.

I will certainly post a full review after we've taken the tour, but I feel very comfortable with my decision.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello

Are there any places that make custom-made clothing at a low price?

I've read many posts regarding VISA, but the directions are confusing.

Could some one clarify this for me.

Hi Charmingone,

I don't know about custom-made clothing... but if you ask your tour operator they should be able to help you out!

As for the VISA, the cruise ship handles it for you. They will collect your passport and immigration officer will put the Visa stamp in it. As you exit the ship, immigration officers verify it and that's it! Very simple and easy...

You'll have a great time in Egypt!

MC

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Charmingone,

I don't know about custom-made clothing... but if you ask your tour operator they should be able to help you out!

As for the VISA, the cruise ship handles it for you. They will collect your passport and immigration officer will put the Visa stamp in it. As you exit the ship, immigration officers verify it and that's it! Very simple and easy...

You'll have a great time in Egypt!

MC

HELLO ALL,

I have kept this info from previous trip and would think it is the same . they pick up all passports and somehow between ship and immigration officer, it is all handled. "Egyptian entry visa obtainable onboard the cruise before your pick up Egyptian immigration officer will put the Visa stamp in your passport , that is operating by the Egyptian Immigration association not by the cruise or the travel company for American, Canadian, Australian, British, German, Italian, French, Swiss, Austrian, Belgium, Dutch, Scandinavians and some other nationalities as well. It would be just stamp put into your passport "

Hope this helps, I had kept this info..

you will have a great trip, we have been before and are going again on NCL Jade in Feb 2011...

Judy

• 3 weeks later...

FYI... just got back from our Mediterranean cruise and had a wonderful 2 days in Egypt with Ramses! They were good at keeping in touch before our trip, they were on time and thorough. We felt safe with them, as well. Our guide was very protective of us - preparing us for Vendor pressure - telling us how much we SHOULD pay for different items, and making sure we were not accosted by pushy vendors. I believe he saved us all money from being taken advantage of! The price of Ramses tours are the most reasonable of any others all through our trip. Can't go wrong with them!!

has anyone used COSMOS tours in egypt? they were highly recommended but I have not seen them mentioned at all ; i am second guessing my choice and am wondering if I should look elsewhere..........

I'd also like in inquire about Egypt Private Excursions. Has anyone used them?

• 1 month later...
I'd also like in inquire about Egypt Private Excursions. Has anyone used them?

I just saw this now -- I can certainly recommend them. I took a tour of Alexandria with them in September and have just done a partial day Cairo tour about a week ago. (I've been to Cairo several times, I just wanted to see a couple of places that I hadn't yet visited.)

Both times I found them easy to work with and had good suggestions offered for my itinerary (I tend to want to do things that are a bit more customized).

I wrote a long report on my day in Alex. If you do a search I'm sure you'll find it. There have been a couple of other positive responses also on this (relatively new) group. I would be happy to answer any questions when I get back from my current cruise in 6 days.....!

• 1 month later...
Thinking of the RCI cruise late april which has two days in Alexandria. has anyone done the overnight in luxor to see both the pyramids at giza and the wonders of luxor as well

We had a wonderful tour with Ramses in October with everyon staying overnight - some in the fantastic Oberoi and some at the Le Meridien. Everyone was delighted with their hotel and with Ramses.

However, with the recent suicide bombing in Alexandria - better to wait and see whether the ship will still stop there.

• 2 weeks later...
We had a wonderful tour with Ramses in October with everyon staying overnight - some in the fantastic Oberoi and some at the Le Meridien. Everyone was delighted with their hotel and with Ramses.

However, with the recent suicide bombing in Alexandria - better to wait and see whether the ship will still stop there.

Just this morning I heard about another shooting aboard a train headed to Cairo where Copts were targeted. I wonder if any cruise lines are considering not stopping in Egypt?

http://www.smh.com.au/world/shooting-on-train-adds-to-christian-fears-in-egypt-20110112-19o5y.html

Archived