Supper Club and Multiple Entrees?

sylvasta

i'm just not a fancy smancy person...i don't want to have to worry about "proper ettiquite"....i mean, i certainly have common sense and manners...but i would hate to do something wrong lol.

Don't worry about it. Trust me, if you use the wrong fork, they just discretely bring another one with the next course. Nobody's taking notes and there's no test at the end. Just enjoy the food, service and ambience. And use your napkin, not your sleeve. ;)

You can still dance, it's just not to live music.

This is what puzzles me - why pay extra money for food when perfectly good food comes with the price of admission, and you can try everything on the menu until you find something you like? So if I get this right, you pay extra money, have more restrictions, and this is good for some reason? Is it just a matter of being exclusive? I love the MDR, can't imagine paying extra for a steakhouse (which I can do at home anytime I want). Not to put down your choice, but people must be making this choice or they wouldn't have the option available. I've just been trying to wrap my head around the "why" of it all . . .

Granted, last time I cruised there was no "pay extra" dining option - it was just the main dining room for fancy food options. Yes, many years ago. So maybe food has gone really downhill in the last 8 years? If so, I'm going to be very disappointed come November.

i go for a few reasons.first my husband is gone every monday thru fri so for us it is a few quiet hours with no one elses kids (or mine) and get a few hours of us time. Second the mdr is good,but the supper club is omg mmmmm. 3rd we usually travel with extended family and sometimes we need a getaway from them

Hey!! You will be on my cruise! Have you been to the roll call? I remember someone saying that they were going to have an extra passenger on board! :D

Yes, I have been on the roll call! There is another woman who learned she's carrying a freebie passenger too... I need to go back and look again to see who it was. I haven't been very active on the roll call the past few weeks because I've been concentrating on getting over this morning sickness before we leave!!!

This is what puzzles me - why pay extra money for food when perfectly good food comes with the price of admission, and you can try everything on the menu until you find something you like? So if I get this right, you pay extra money, have more restrictions, and this is good for some reason? Is it just a matter of being exclusive? I love the MDR, can't imagine paying extra for a steakhouse (which I can do at home anytime I want). Not to put down your choice, but people must be making this choice or they wouldn't have the option available. I've just been trying to wrap my head around the "why" of it all . . .

Granted, last time I cruised there was no "pay extra" dining option - it was just the main dining room for fancy food options. Yes, many years ago. So maybe food has gone really downhill in the last 8 years? If so, I'm going to be very disappointed come November.

In our experience, the quality of the food in the Supper Club as well as the service we have received easily puts the MDR to shame. If money weren't an issue, we'd eat there every night of the cruise.

What's this about dancing? Will we feel compelled to dance? I wouldn't mind it, but my boyfriend would veto the whole thing just because of it. I had to drag him out onto the floor at a wedding this year... (Litterally. Drag.)

In our experience, the quality of the food in the Supper Club as well as the service we have received easily puts the MDR to shame. If money weren't an issue, we'd eat there every night of the cruise.

In our instance we didn't find this to be true. While we enjoyed the Supper Club it wasn't any better or different than our experience in the dining room. Only difference it was quieter. The night we dined there weren't 10 people in the entire supper club (steakhouse). In our book it definately was not worth $60. Perhaps our dining staff in the MDR were just better that what some people get???

Sadly I am I guess a Outback kind of person - I have never seen a Ruth Chris or a Morton's anywhere around where I live. The general restaurants we go to are Outback, Applebee's, Cheesecake Factory, and Bonefish Grill. I don't like or want extremely fancy dishes I want good food period.

In our instance we didn't find this to be true. While we enjoyed the Supper Club it wasn't any better or different than our experience in the dining room. Only difference it was quieter. The night we dined there weren't 10 people in the entire supper club (steakhouse). In our book it definately was not worth $60. Perhaps our dining staff in the MDR were just better that what some people get???

Sadly I am I guess a Outback kind of person - I have never seen a Ruth Chris or a Morton's anywhere around where I live. The general restaurants we go to are Outback, Applebee's, Cheesecake Factory, and Bonefish Grill. I don't like or want extremely fancy dishes I want good food period.

Hey, if you are happy with the MDR (and it seems that you are, based upon your response) that is great. Steakhouse is not for everyone, especially if you don't like fancy dishes..... And don't be sad about being an Outback type of person....I love the Outback! It is a very good meal and a reasonable cost.

Jim

Here are some menus to drool over. You can order two starters if you don't want a salad.

Starters

ESCARGOTS BOURGUIGNONNE

Baked in Garlic Herb Butter

PUMPKIN AND FETA CHEESE PARFAIT

Served with a Light Roasted Pumpkin Cream

BEEF CARPACCIO

Sliced Raw Beef Tenderloin with Shaved Parmesan Cheese

Marinated Mache Lettuce

SUSHI PLATTER

Salmon, Lobster and Shrimp with Pickled Ginger and Wasabe

JUMBO SHRIMP COCKTAIL

Black Tiger Shrimp with American Cocktail Sauce

NEW ENGLAND CRAB CAKE

On Roasted Pepper Remoulade

LOBSTER BISQUE WITH VINTAGE COGNAC

Fleuron and Fresh Cream

BAKED ONION SOUP “LES HALLES

A Parisian Classic

Salads

CLASSIC CAESAR SALAD

Hearts of Romaine Lettuce, Traditional Prepared

BABY LEAF SPINACH AND FRESH MUSHROOMS

With Blue Cheese Dressing and Warm Bacon Bits

TOSSED GARDEN SALAD

Greens Radichio, Tomato, Purple Onion Rings and Watercress

Choice of House, Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing

Side Dishes

BAKED POTATOES WITH TRIMMINGS

SAUTÉED MEDLEY OF FRESH MUSHROOMS

YUKON GOLD MASH WITH WASABE HORSERADISH

GRILLED FRESH VEGETABLES IN SEASON

CREAMED SPINACH WITH GARLIC

Entrées

Our Steaks Are Hand Selected, USDA Prime Beef, Aged to Our

Specifications, Carefully Handled and Perfectly cooked.

BROILED NEW YORK STRIP LOIN STEAK

14 oz. of the Favorite Cut for Steak Connoisseurs

GRILLED PRIME RIB CHOP

18 oz. for the Real Beef Gourmet

CLASSIC PORTERHOUSE STEAK

Combines the Full Flavor of the Strip Loin with the Tenderness of

the Tenderloin, 24 oz. of the Best from Both Worlds

BROILED FILET MIGNON

9 oz. for the True Gourmet

SURF & TURF

Seared Lobster Tail and Grilled Filet Mignon

WHOLE DOVER SOLE MEUNIÈRE

Pan-fried and Served with Beurre Noisette

BROILED LOBSTER TAIL

Served With Drawn Butter

BROILED SUPREME OF FREE RANGE CHICKEN

With Blackberry – Port Wine Reduction

GRILLED LAMB CHOPS

Double-Cut Lamb Chops

Served on Five Bean Cassoulet and Rosemary Jus

MUSHROOM STRUDEL ON ASPARAGUS FONDUE

Stuffed Tomato with Green Peas and Truffled Mac n’ Cheese

Sauces Available

THREE PEPPERCORN SAUCE

WILD MUSHROOM SAUCE

SAUCE BÉARNAISE

Desserts

CITRUS CHEESECAKE WITH HAZELNUT BISCUIT

Burnt Basmati and Mango Ravioli with Almond and Mascarpone Jam

WASHINGTON APPLE TARTE TARTIN

Served with Chocolate and Lemon Balm Salad

CHOCOLATE TARTE WITH BITTER CHOCOLATE PÂTÉ

Pineapple Croquant, Tiramisu Notre Façon

FRESH FRUITS

Assembly of Tropical Fruit and Berries in Season, Served with

Homemade Sherbet

SELECTION OF INTERNATIONAL CHEESES

Beverages

FRESHLY BREWED COFFEE

Regular or Decaffeinated

TEA AND HERBAL TEAS

Dessert Wine

QUADY ELECTRA, CALIFORNIA

After Dinner Drinks

GRAHAMS SIX GRAPE

DOWS 20 YEAR TAWNY

HARDY, V.S.O.P.

HARDY, X.O.

CLES DES DUCS ARMAGNAC, V.S.O.P.

MARTELL CORDON BLEU

HENNESSY PARADIS

COURVOISIER X. O.

(Regular Bar Prices Apply)

I had a feeling I was going to get jumped on for my question. I'm sorry, question withdrawn. I was really just looking for additional information, I haven't cruised in 8 years, I don't know what's changed, this is a whole new way of eating, it costs extra, and people still seem to recommend it, and I can't figure out why. I thought these boards were here to get new information from those who know more than me, so I was looking for someone to tell me why. I'm not cheap, but I remember really liking the MDR, and wouldn't want to miss it (and pay extra for the privilege).

FWIW, I don't generally order two entrees unless I really hate the one I chose. I'm also not much of a steak eater unless it's really good, so there is a really good chance (expensive or not) I wouldn't like the steak. So I'd be unlikely to order it no matter what.

I guess the answer is - and I may never know why - some folks choose to do this, and it's probably just not for me. But no need to chastise me, I'll go away quiet.

Your response to the OP sounded like you were jumping on people for going to the Steakhouse. In my opinion it is an amazing dinning experiance. The steak rivals any I have ever had. My DW and I did it the first time for our anniversary, and will do it every time we cruise.

Your response to the OP sounded like you were jumping on people for going to the Steakhouse. In my opinion it is an amazing dinning experiance. The steak rivals any I have ever had. My DW and I did it the first time for our anniversary, and will do it every time we cruise.

Yeah you may be right....that is why I apologized (if after the fact). I originally read it as another attack on CCL as a whole...not whether the Steakhouse was worth it for her.

At any rate, I agree with your assessment of the dining experience at the Steakhouse.

Hey all!

We have never done the supper club before, and this will be our 4th Carnival cruise. We hear it's a definite must do, I have never heard one bad thing about it.

Here's my question-DH LOVES to order multiple entrees at dinner (loves to try everything-and he doesn't waste the food, trust me! :D)

Can he do that at the Supper Club? He would love to be able to order lobster AND steak, but he was under the impression he couldn't, which is why he never wants to eat there, LOL.

What say you all? TIA! :cool:

I can vouch for this!!!

Get DH to order the Porterhouse steak. I had this last year and It is the best steak I have ever had anywhere, and I travel for work and hve been entertained in the best restaurants. :D

LadyEval, really just try it once, you will really understand. It's like a gourmet experience without the stiff prices. If you enjoy really good food you will NOT be disappointed, I promise!!

The lamb is to DIE for, but there are other choices, awesome 24 oz porterhouse that even my husband "the meat muncher" can't finish. The flight of chocolate desert mmmmmm, I would go and just eat the Lobster bisque, it's delightful but it does ruin you for the MDR lobster bisque.

That said, the food in the dining room is great, we found the food (except the beef in the MDR to be better than Celebrity) we pay extra several times for the specialty because it really IS a superior experience, not only the food but the ambience.

Some people are not foodies, and if you're not you probably should skip it, but for us it's extremely worth it.

Have a great time no matter what you do!!

Oh and what kind of dogs do you rescue? I'm a dog fanatic!!!!

Carole

Yeah you may be right....that is why I apologized (if after the fact). I originally read it as another attack on CCL as a whole...not whether the Steakhouse was worth it for her.

At any rate, I agree with your assessment of the dining experience at the Steakhouse.

My comment was to Ladyevel not you, her comments did sound like an attack. Which by her later posts I gather was not her intention. And I know the Steakhouse is not for everyone. But how can you know if you don't try it at least once?

And thanks for agreeing with me....I'm not used to that here :D

Hey, if you are happy with the MDR (and it seems that you are, based upon your response) that is great. Steakhouse is not for everyone, especially if you don't like fancy dishes..... And don't be sad about being an Outback type of person....I love the Outback! It is a very good meal and a reasonable cost.

Jim

This wasn't necessarilly the case, I did the steakhouse on Princess and it was absolutely fantastic and at a cost of $15 pp, that I would pay for again. We are thinking to try David's on the Pride just to see if perhaps we get any different service than we did on the Splendor. My thought personally though it wasn't worth $60, if I had only paid half of that then it definately would have been more worth it.

This is what puzzles me - why pay extra money for food when perfectly good food comes with the price of admission, and you can try everything on the menu until you find something you like? So if I get this right, you pay extra money, have more restrictions, and this is good for some reason? Is it just a matter of being exclusive? I love the MDR, can't imagine paying extra for a steakhouse (which I can do at home anytime I want).

No, you have it all wrong. Go and try the steakhouse once, and you'll have all the answers to your questions.

You can send back food you don't like at the steakhouse too. That is not restricted; the only thing is that you can't order more than one entree because you can't eat more than one entree. It's a fact - they are huge portions, unlike the little bites you get in the MDR. In the MDR, the wait staff is not going to be happy if you think you can sample two bites of four entrees. In theory, you are supposed to be able to, in practice, it does not work that way. I have never seen anyone order more than two. I'm sure it happens, it is just rare.

The MDR has good food, but not superior by any means. The steakhouse has a meal you would pay $100 for on shore. If you don't usually go to places like that you may not be able to relate too well. Yes, the MDR food is perfectly good, but the steakhouse is better - it is a real treat, where dinner in the MDR is ... just dinner.

I'm glad everyone is noting about the two starters and skipping the salad. DW and I will do the Super Club on our anniversary (we have never done a super club) we have already made the reservations and looking forward to it.

But the starters looked SOOOOO good, I didn't want a salad,

I think I'm getting,

Sushi

Escargots

Lobster

Anything chocolate :p

Tho I keep 2nd guessing the sushi. I like getting things I almost never get or order at home. So I always enjoy the escargots and usually get two orders in the MDR. But I do regularly eat sushi. So I'm now thinking the Beef Carpaccio.

I'm debating on bringing a bottle of wine for that night. At $14 to cork it, it really isn't saving any money. But then we could be sure and have the exact wine we want. DW and I have Seven Deadly Zins as our "house" red wine as it is so versatile and yet yummmy....

I'm sure DW will get steak or maybe the surf/turf. I just don't like eating steak out. I love cooking it at home and my wonderful seasoned cast iron pan, but rarely enjoy it as much out.

I had a feeling I was going to get jumped on for my question. I'm sorry, question withdrawn. I was really just looking for additional information, I haven't cruised in 8 years, I don't know what's changed, this is a whole new way of eating, it costs extra, and people still seem to recommend it, and I can't figure out why. I thought these boards were here to get new information from those who know more than me, so I was looking for someone to tell me why. I'm not cheap, but I remember really liking the MDR, and wouldn't want to miss it (and pay extra for the privilege).

FWIW, I don't generally order two entrees unless I really hate the one I chose. I'm also not much of a steak eater unless it's really good, so there is a really good chance (expensive or not) I wouldn't like the steak. So I'd be unlikely to order it no matter what.

I guess the answer is - and I may never know why - some folks choose to do this, and it's probably just not for me. But no need to chastise me, I'll go away quiet.

I'm sure Austin Texas has restaurants where a steak is $9.95. And others where a steak will run $15 to $25. And even some places where a steak will run well over $50. per person. Why is that?

Well that is why CCL has Steakhouses on many ships. EVERYBODY is not the same!

i'm with eve...but with others....i appreciate eve's response...questioning why?

that's why i have read the entire thread....trying to understand "why".

so my dh loves lobster. i can't stand seafood. but i do love good steak.

so yes, i understand the quality of the food is good...honestly i have not been disappointed in the dining room's food quality.

i am not one for "foo foo" food. I'm a meat & potatoes kind of girl. but i love to dance...so that caught my attention...

so please, those who have gone, share your experience please with me. i assume there's a dance floor?

what about "normal" food? i don't want all kinds of foo foo stuff all over my food...is this a formal dress?

i'm just curious if this is something we should try. but then, again, i think why waste the money, i've already paid for my meals...

oh, and another important question...is the chocolate melting cake available? i'm not big in to desserts...except that chocolate cake, and good ole plain cheesecake (no fruity toppings)

What catches my eye here is you saying you're a "meat and potatoes kind of girl"...because I am too. We just got off the Spirit, and we did the Supper Club one night. We did it because my husband has always wanted to do an extra-fancy restaurant, and we figured this was we could do it fairly cheaply.

How I felt about it: Eh.

Ambiance: Our table was right against the wall of windows--that looked right out onto the Sun Deck. So we had people walking next to us, in jeans/sweatshirts/sweats, etc, peering in. Not exactly romantic.

There was a wall between us and the dance floor. We may have liked to dance, but the setup just made that impractical. Also, the music was simply that which drifted up from the Atrium.

Food: The biggest issue is that my husband is a vegetarian. There was ONE vegetarian entree on the menu. He thought it was ok, but not great.

I had the filet mignon. The beef itself was very good, but it came with asparagus and some sort of pea mixture that I didn't even want to look at, never mind eat.

For dessert, my husband had the berry tart, and I had the chocolate dessert. I think he liked his dessert; mine was just ok. Unfortunately, it was ice-cream intensive, and I can eat only a very little bit of ice cream before I start to have problems.

Service: Honestly, I thought service was better in the MDR. I found that empty dishes sat on the table for much longer than they did in the MDR, and it took longer to get drinks refilled. Also, there were about 5 different servers. While this meant that they were supposedly "specialists", it also meant a lack on continuity in service. For example, we had just finished telling one server that my husband was a vegetarian (after which she suggested that he have the lobster...sigh.) She walked away, and another server brought him a salmon amuse-bouche (she brought me a tomato-soup dish). And then looked kind of shocked that he wasn't eating it, although she did eventually take it away and bring him the tomato-soup one as well. Also, it seemed that these servers were more on a "script" and it was harder for them to deviate from it.

While I can understand why others would enjoy it...I certainly wouldn't do it again. I like my food plain and simple, not foofy and fancy, and this food was definitely too "fancy" for my tastes. My husband says that he enjoyed the experience, but also wouldn't do it again.

Thank you for taking the time to review the super club. I enjoy reading "both sides" of an experience like that. And kudos for you for trying it even though you feel you are a meat and potatoes person!

We have cruised many a time, but have not done the super club. Doing so for our anniversary. Reading, I imagine keeping a total open mind. I really like this "option" and sure it is not for everyone and may not be for wife and I.

But truth be told, that is one of the main reasons I like cruising. So many options. I rarely gamble. But like having the Casino on board case I want to do it for bit. I never play Bingo, but wife does and seems to enjoy it. I like that many a ship has a sports bar. Wife isn't to thrilled. I could go on and on. And sometimes the feeling of doing something changes from day to day or cruise to cruise.

Thanks again!!!

What catches my eye here is you saying you're a "meat and potatoes kind of girl"...because I am too. We just got off the Spirit, and we did the Supper Club one night. We did it because my husband has always wanted to do an extra-fancy restaurant, and we figured this was we could do it fairly cheaply.

How I felt about it: Eh.

Ambiance: Our table was right against the wall of windows--that looked right out onto the Sun Deck. So we had people walking next to us, in jeans/sweatshirts/sweats, etc, peering in. Not exactly romantic.

There was a wall between us and the dance floor. We may have liked to dance, but the setup just made that impractical. Also, the music was simply that which drifted up from the Atrium.

Food: The biggest issue is that my husband is a vegetarian. There was ONE vegetarian entree on the menu. He thought it was ok, but not great.

I had the filet mignon. The beef itself was very good, but it came with asparagus and some sort of pea mixture that I didn't even want to look at, never mind eat.

For dessert, my husband had the berry tart, and I had the chocolate dessert. I think he liked his dessert; mine was just ok. Unfortunately, it was ice-cream intensive, and I can eat only a very little bit of ice cream before I start to have problems.

Service: Honestly, I thought service was better in the MDR. I found that empty dishes sat on the table for much longer than they did in the MDR, and it took longer to get drinks refilled. Also, there were about 5 different servers. While this meant that they were supposedly "specialists", it also meant a lack on continuity in service. For example, we had just finished telling one server that my husband was a vegetarian (after which she suggested that he have the lobster...sigh.) She walked away, and another server brought him a salmon amuse-bouche (she brought me a tomato-soup dish). And then looked kind of shocked that he wasn't eating it, although she did eventually take it away and bring him the tomato-soup one as well. Also, it seemed that these servers were more on a "script" and it was harder for them to deviate from it.

While I can understand why others would enjoy it...I certainly wouldn't do it again. I like my food plain and simple, not foofy and fancy, and this food was definitely too "fancy" for my tastes. My husband says that he enjoyed the experience, but also wouldn't do it again.

I appreciate the review as well. Like you say fancy is not for everybody....not sure what foofy is but I think I get it. I can also appreciate that being a vegetarian dampens the outlook when there is only one thing on the menu to have.

Ambiance thing I can also understand. Let me give another version. We went to the supper club on the Liberty when leaving Sicily. As we passed by the island of Stromboli (which has an active volcano) we could look right out our windows and see a volcano spewing stem and smoke as we cruised by.

You tried it and decided it was'nt not for you. That's OK also.

Thank you for taking the time to review the super club. I enjoy reading "both sides" of an experience like that. And kudos for you for trying it even though you feel you are a meat and potatoes person!

We have cruised many a time, but have not done the super club. Doing so for our anniversary. Reading, I imagine keeping a total open mind. I really like this "option" and sure it is not for everyone and may not be for wife and I.

But truth be told, that is one of the main reasons I like cruising. So many options. I rarely gamble. But like having the Casino on board case I want to do it for bit. I never play Bingo, but wife does and seems to enjoy it. I like that many a ship has a sports bar. Wife isn't to thrilled. I could go on and on. And sometimes the feeling of doing something changes from day to day or cruise to cruise.

Thanks again!!!

Let us know how and if you enjoyed when you return.

This is why food is so weird. I prefer the Steakhouse because I think the MDR food tries to be to fancy and you can just get your steak and potato in the Steakhouse.

Archived