subway to LAGUARDIA

deck chair

Hi Gang:

Does anyone know if there is subway service near the brooklyn pier that gets to LAGUARDIA AIIRPORT????? Thanks so very much.

Deck Chair

No, there isn't a subway connection at either end. The Red Hook terminal isn't near a subway station and you would have to take the M61 bus to the connect to the subway to connect to the M60 bus that goes to La Guardia.

Hi Gang:

Does anyone know if there is subway service near the brooklyn pier that gets to LAGUARDIA AIIRPORT????? Thanks so very much.

Deck Chair

I would take the M61 bus from Red Hook to downtown Brooklyn then the F Train (subway) through Manhattan and out to Roosevelt Avenue in Queens then the Q33 (bus) to La Guardia. It is faster than taking the 4 Train (two blocks from M61 connection in downtown Brooklyn) to 125th Street and the much longer ride on the M60 bus to LGA.

Whatever way, it's two fares 1) bus/subway 2) bus = $4.50.

There is a bodega across the intersection from the M61 bus that sells MetroCards.

I would take the M61 bus from Red Hook to downtown Brooklyn then the F Train (subway) through Manhattan and out to Roosevelt Avenue in Queens then the Q33 (bus) to La Guardia. It is faster than taking the 4 Train (two blocks from M61 connection in downtown Brooklyn) to 125th Street and the much longer ride on the M60 bus to LGA.

Whatever way, it's two fares 1) bus/subway 2) bus = $4.50.

There is a bodega across the intersection from the M61 bus that sells MetroCards.

you gotta be kidding. Pay for a cab and you won't be dragging your luggage and you wil be at the airport in 20 minutes. It's your vacation...enjoy it.

you gotta be kidding. Pay for a cab and you won't be dragging your luggage and you wil be at the airport in 20 minutes. It's your vacation...enjoy it.

Kidding?

Not in the slightest. I take the B61 bus and the F train everytime to/from the Upper East Side. In fact I have done it eight times. With minimum luggage, it's a cinch.

By taxi once. Transit fare - was $2, now $2.25 and half that for seniors, and about 15 times that for a cab - times 7 = a whopping difference that will get another boost this autumn.

And, the poster did ask about using the subway, so only obliging.

Hi Gang:

Deck Chair

Deck Chair, you might check with Cunard and see how much their post cruise bus costs. We have used it from Red Hook to both JFK and EWR and found it to be an excellent cost effective way to travel. Be sure to give them your airline and flight number, and they will (1) make sure you disembark to meet your flight, and (2) get on the correct bus.

If this is your first disembarkation from Red Hook, I offer some advice. For some reason baggage handling is very slow in Brooklyn. Make sure to allow ample time to get the bags and clear immigration and customs. With a little luck you should be out of the terminal by 10:am, and at the airport by 11:00 am. Give plenty of time to clear security at the airport, in other words, no flights before noon.

Enjoy Mike

I say you have to be kidding to take a taxi: We have taxied at least four times going either way between the Red Hook terminal and the Hampton Pearl Street under the Brooklyn Bridge at the lower end of Manhatten: you can see where we want to go, either way.

None of the taxis had the least idea where or how to get to either the ship terminal or hotel: I had to do the navigating, which, not being prepared, took us around and around. The one taxi from Manhatten had never been to Brooklyn, although he had been driving for seven years, he said.

Then we finally tried the bus and subway: easy 4-block walk, no confusing interaction with lost taxi driver.

I will admit to a 40 year hate affair with USA taxis, but Mr. Scull's suggestion to take the M61 to the subway (we ship most of our luggage) was much easier.

David in Ohio: getting ready to ride with Mr. Buckley Jr. crossing later this year!

The one taxi from Manhatten had never been to Brooklyn, although he had been driving for seven years, he said.

I think the cab driver was spinning you a story! If he has a yellow NYC taxi cab he may have been reluctant to go to Brooklyn (though he is not allowed to refuse totake you there); maybe he was a livery driver from outside Brooklyn. In 23 years in the city I have not come accross a driver who has not been to Brooklyn, especially on ethat has been driving a can for 7 years.

I will admit to a 40 year hate affair with USA taxis, but Mr. Scull's suggestion to take the M61 to the subway (we ship most of our luggage) was much easier.

Before or after a luxurios voyage on the QM2 I would hate to drag lugagge on a bus, subway and bus to the airport, but that's just me. :)

Ted did say with minimum luggage, but if you have what most people take on voyages, trying to ride the city buses is ill-advised. These are not coaches with baggage compartments and there is no place for luggage other than under your seat, in your lap, or out in the aisle blocking the way. During the midday, when ships disembark it is a possibility, but if the arrival is late, causing you to travel during the 'rush hour'.....well as they say in Brooklyn...'Fahgeddaboutit!':eek:

None of the taxis had the least idea where or how to get to either the ship terminal or hotel: I had to do the navigating, which, not being prepared, took us around and around. The one taxi from Manhatten had never been to Brooklyn, although he had been driving for seven years, he said.

The writer is going from the cruise terminal to LGA. By definition a taxi cab waiting at the terminal has already figured out how to get to the terminal. DUH!

No way i would drag even a small suitcase through the streets to a bus or subway after a cruise.

Regarding taxi fares here is what I experienced in June/July this year:-

Disembarkation in NYC – A dream. We went self help and were called while we were still at breakfast. Off boat at 6.50. Through Immigration by 0700. Was hoping to use the Aricebo car service recommended by Capn’ Pugwash but for some reason my mobile wouldn’t lock on to a network. Anyway the Yellow Cab queue was only about 15 yards long and we were in a cab by 0712. Went to west 52nd street Novotel arrived at 0746 and were back out on Broadway by 0800 having dumped our bags with the doorman. Cost of cab $22.30 + tip. Easy peasy............

Return leg. Embarkation no problems Yellow Cab to Red Hook, made sure driver knew the way before we got in and asked to go via Brooklyn bridge.. Took a little longer to get there but still only cost $24.10 + tip.

Gari

Regarding taxi fares here is what I experienced in June/July this year:-

Disembarkation in NYC – A dream. We went self help and were called while we were still at breakfast. Off boat at 6.50. Through Immigration by 0700. Was hoping to use the Aricebo car service recommended by Capn’ Pugwash but for some reason my mobile wouldn’t lock on to a network. Anyway the Yellow Cab queue was only about 15 yards long and we were in a cab by 0712. Went to west 52nd street Novotel arrived at 0746 and were back out on Broadway by 0800 having dumped our bags with the doorman. Cost of cab $22.30 + tip. Easy peasy............

Return leg. Embarkation no problems Yellow Cab to Red Hook, made sure driver knew the way before we got in and asked to go via Brooklyn bridge.. Took a little longer to get there but still only cost $24.10 + tip.

Gari

My point exactly, you spend thousands of dollars on a luxury cruise vacation. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish taking the subway to the airport.

Hi Gang!

I didn't mean to stir up such a fuss. I have sailed on QM2 several times and always use ARECIBO car service. I was actually asking for my brother who is sailing round trip with me. (Sailing on 9/8/09 and 9/26/09.) He thought perhaps there was a subway stop at the pier with service that could easily transport him to the airport. Given how complicated it is and the luggage issue he has changed his thinking. He has now decided to use either a CUNARD transfer or ARECIBO or cab.

Thanks all so very much and I will be sure to post a review of my crosssings upon my return. (As did in 2007) I haven't been on QM2 since the summer of 2007 so I am very interested to see what changes if any have taken place. Take care and thanks again fro your input and suggestions. TED SCULL, I hope I get to meet you one day on Queen Mary 2. I have always enjoyed your writings.

DECK CHAIR

Hi Gang!

I didn't mean to stir up such a fuss. I have sailed on QM2 several times and always use ARECIBO car service. I was actually asking for my brother who is sailing round trip with me. (Sailing on 9/8/09 and 9/26/09.) He thought perhaps there was a subway stop at the pier with service that could easily transport him to the airport. Given how complicated it is and the luggage issue he has changed his thinking. He has now decided to use either a CUNARD transfer or ARECIBO or cab.

Thanks all so very much and I will be sure to post a review of my crosssings upon my return. (As did in 2007) I haven't been on QM2 since the summer of 2007 so I am very interested to see what changes if any have taken place. Take care and thanks again fro your input and suggestions. TED SCULL, I hope I get to meet you one day on Queen Mary 2. I have always enjoyed your writings.

DECK CHAIR

You didn't create a fuss. This is the normal give and take on this board. If you want to stir up a fuss ask about what is the appropriate amount to tip...

Hi Gang!

DECK CHAIR

Hi Deck Chair

Make mine wooden!

Thank you for the compliment, and I shall be aboard Queen Mary 2 twice this autumn - westbound 23 October (a birthday celebration for my brother) and 11 November (with my wife) - then, natch, from dock to home via B61/F.

See you on Prom Deck one crossing I hope.

Ted

Archived