Double bed against ocean view window

Pettifogger

WYAZ...The beds turned the other way are in a veranda cabin on the Noordam...Not an outside cabin..The OP specifically stated he has an outside cabin with the bed against the window..

Betty I looked at it too but it is not a Balcony it is a Obstructed or Partially Obstructed View on Deck 4. Those cabins have floor to ceiling winodws with life boats just outside of them. At first glance they appear to be like an Blacony but they are not. The true Unobstructed Ocean View cabins on HAL ALL have the bed under the window. They also do not have the sofa next to the window like a balcony cabin would have.

Betty I looked at it too but it is not a Balcony it is a Obstructed or Partially Obstructed View on Deck 4. Those cabins have floor to ceiling winodws with life boats just outside of them. At first glance they appear to be like an Blacony but they are not. The true Unobstructed Ocean View cabins on HAL ALL have the bed under the window. They also do not have the sofa next to the window like a balcony cabin would have.

Thanks Lisa did not realize that it was an obstructed or partially obstructed on deck 4...I agree with you, that the placement of the bed in the OV cabins on HAL is one drawback..

However, I've adjusted to it as I'm a light sleeper...I love it waking up in the middle of the night or when we enter a port in early morning..I place my pillow on the window sill & just stare out the window..It's so peaceful..

Can't wait for our Statendam B2B on Nov. 13.. Have half of my packing list done & today started pulling up info on private tours in some ports..

BTW...So glad you were able to find a new job in the travel field..Hope you have many happy & profitable years ahead of you..:)

Betty

This is one of the little negatives of HAL and thier Ocean View Cabins. All of them with the exception of Obstructed and Partially Obstructed on the Vista Class and Signature Class on Deck 4 have the hed of the bed up against the window..
They've fixed this problem on the Eurodam - all of the Outsides on the Main deck have the headboards on the side wall. I presume the Nieuw Amsterdam will be the same.

Don't believe there is enough room in an outside cabin to turn the bed at a 90 degree angle on any of the "S" or "R" class ships..

The rooms are 9 ft wide, the beds are 7 ft ... same as on the Main deck of the Eurodam and the obstructed outsides on the Vistas that have them turned sideways.

OP, you didn't specify which ship, but if it's an S- or R-class, I did ask that question one time.

I sail solo, so have the two beds pushed together. I like the double space when they're pushed apart, so figured I could have both if the beds were together, but abutting the wall.

The steward said he couldn't do it, as he wouldn't be able to make the bed.

They've fixed this problem on the Eurodam - all of the Outsides on the Main deck have the headboards on the side wall. I presume the Nieuw Amsterdam will be the same.

The rooms are 9 ft wide, the beds are 7 ft ... same as on the Main deck of the Eurodam and the obstructed outsides on the Vistas that have them turned sideways.

That's fine for the bed & I'm not arguing that point..My question would be where would they put the two end tables..The OV cabins we've stayed in on the "R" & "S" ships have that small beam about 6 inches wide jutting out of the wall at the foot of the bed, just next to the couch...

I'm wondering the width of the two single beds & the two end tables combined..Will they fit into that 7 foot space?

What we need is for someone with a tape measure on an the S & R ships to do some measuring for us..Of course as others have pointed out..There would be no reading lights for them to use at night at the head of their bed..And they would have to keep the telephone on the floor..Can you imagine getting up in a dark stateroom in the middle of the night & tripping over the phone..:(

That's an accident waiting to happen..

JMO..Betty

I'm wondering the width of the two single beds & the two end tables combined..Will they fit into that 7 foot space?

What?? :confused: The beds are 7 ft long (by 5 ft wide) so if they were turned sideways you'd have 2 ft to get by the end of the bed. I'd leave the nightstands just where they are on the outside wall, with the phone still there.

Thanks Lisa did not realize that it was an obstructed or partially obstructed on deck 4...I agree with you, that the placement of the bed in the OV cabins on HAL is one drawback..

However, I've adjusted to it as I'm a light sleeper...I love it waking up in the middle of the night or when we enter a port in early morning..I place my pillow on the window sill & just stare out the window..It's so peaceful..

Can't wait for our Statendam B2B on Nov. 13.. Have half of my packing list done & today started pulling up info on private tours in some ports..

BTW...So glad you were able to find a new job in the travel field..Hope you have many happy & profitable years ahead of you..:)

Betty

Thanks Betty:) I am really am enjoying it and in many ways wihs I would have made the move to this carreer many years ago.

John I have to admit I did not know that they changed this for the Signature Class. We were in a SA the first week and a VA cabin the second week we were on the Eurodam. That is a good move on HAL's part in changing that.

What?? :confused: The beds are 7 ft long (by 5 ft wide) so if they were turned sideways you'd have 2 ft to get by the end of the bed. I'd leave the nightstands just where they are on the outside wall, with the phone still there.

OK I've got that..2 end tables stay where they are & turn the bed around 90 degrees..Don't forget there is only about 7 feet until you come to that stupid beam which protrudes from the wall...We have no idea what that beam is for, except maybe to hold the privacy drape in place..

But lets factor in the depth of those end tables..A normal end table is 18 inches in depth..So if the bed is 5 ft wide & the end table is 18 inches deep that would leave just 6 inches for the Steward & the person on the window side of the bed to get out between the bed & the end table...If they got rid of that beam, there would be no problem..

In the middle of the night in a darkened cabin, it would just be my luck to hit that %$#@ end table & get a big bruise on my hip..Guess a very slim person would have no problem or one could have a night lite in the cabin..

Is this setup really practical just to be able to look out the window while having breakfast..:confused:?

Betty

My question wasn't as clear as it should have been. I'd like to modify it to add the fact that we don't want twin beds. I apologize for not pointing that out the first time.

I understood exactly what you meant. I would ask. The worst outcome would be a "no".

Archived