Double bed against ocean view window

Pettifogger

We're going on a long cruise in an ocean view that has the double bed against the window. I would like to move it against the wall so my wife and I can both sit on it and look out the window when we have a room service breakfast. We're willing to put up with me crawling across her in the middle of the night.

I anticipate that some of you will want to respond that I am somewhere between misguided and stupid to even want to do such a thing, but if we accept that I am not smart enough to realize how misguided and/or stupid I might be and it would be a waste of time to try to " re-educate" me, does anyone have any experience with requesting such change; that is, has had such a request either granted or denied?

We're going on a long cruise in an ocean view that has the double bed against the window. I would like to move it against the wall so my wife and I can both sit on it and look out the window when we have a room service breakfast. We're willing to put up with me crawling across her in the middle of the night.
I know you can split the bed into twins, one against each wall, as we usually do that when we have an outside where the bed is ordinarily under the window.

I'm not so sure that if you pushed both beds to one side it would be clear of the front of the window. :confused: Couldn't you both sit on one "twin" bed to eat?

In the Eurodam Main Deck outsides the beds are now all turned so that the head of the bed is against the side wall. Those cabins are no wider than the outsides on other ships, so maybe you can ask the steward to turn yours 90 degrees? :confused:

Isn't all the electrical service set up for beds to be placed on the window wall? The one time we had a veranda on the Zuiderdam, it had the love seat and coffee table set up by the slider. That was the best yet! I agree that the normal position for the 2 beds together in front of the window just doesn't work!

One Princess ship had the bed on the side wall, then a round table with 2 chairs by the window. Surely HAL can come up with this better room setup for its ships!

I anticipate that some of you will want to respond that I am somewhere between misguided and stupid to even want to do such a thing, but if we accept that I am not smart enough to realize how misguided and/or stupid I might be and it would be a waste of time to try to " re-educate" me, does anyone have any experience with requesting such change; that is, has had such a request either granted or denied?

Would that cruise be on NCL? We got that type of cabin on the NCL Majesty and that is the ONLY time and only ship that I have seen this stupid arrangement on which required one person to crawl over the other at night when the effect of your soda card is calling.

Solution: request another type of room imediately after boarding.

What we do is have the beds split into two twins. It really makes the room appear "bigger", and you can walk right up and look out the window, instead of having to climb over a bed. Much better, in our opinion.

Mary

I agree this configuration gives you the best use of floor space with the added access to the window.

The 45 degree corner configuration looks quite pretty in a room (our guest room has this bed placement) but I am afraid an outside cabin just won;t affford you enough space.to do this.

The cabin steward has to make up the bed.... the against the wall option would make this very tricky.

I so see your point though and I don't think you are stupid;)

Everyone wants their cruise to be just right .H:)ppy Saillings

Spinning the bed 90 degrees isn't going to free up space by the window unless the bed is pushed out against the loveseat - then you won't be able to walk past the bed towards the windows because of the desk and there might not be space for one of the nightstands....

Let the beds be where they are and go out on deck or to a public room to enjoy the view - or upgrade to a verandah.

I had a fully obstructed OV cabin on the Westerdam with the head of the bed against the wall. But......this cabin had a floor to ceiling window, with a view of the lifeboat, and that is the only time I have seen the beds set up that way.

Personally I think you may find the window will be too high and the beds too low to be able to see much of anything besides hopefully blue sky.

Personally I think you may find the window will be too high and the beds too low to be able to see much of anything besides hopefully blue sky.

That's exactly right. Moving the beds is a waste of time if your goal is to look out the window while eating room service breakfast. The window is too high for that. You only look out the window while standing up!

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

Isn't all the electrical service set up for beds to be placed on the window wall?

Turning the bed 90 degrees will not work. All the light fixtures are on the outside wall.
So what? I'm not suggesting moving the headboard with the reading lights and switches, just the beds. Someone will just have to turn out the lights before they get into bed.

wyaz: I believe all deck 4 G/GG/H/HH on the Vistas and Eurodam are set up that way. I know our H on the Eurodam was.

It seems to me that, even if sitting on the bed one is too low to see anything but sky, it would be easier to arise a foot or so from the sitting position on the bed occasionally to see whether or not there is anything outside to see, than it would be to climb on the bed to accomplish the same thing. Is there a flaw in my reasoning?

While on the Ryndam 30 night voyage to Hawaii and Tahiti, we had and oceanview (cat. E cabin) and we would sit on the bed with our plates, and look out the window. Here is a picture of me sitting on the bed in front of the window. Maybe this will help you to get an idea of what the bed is like in front of the window. I did like the location of being able to sit up in bed in middle of the night, and move the curtain to look out the window, and never had to get out of bed.

648382807_Hawaii.Tahiti.jan-09.partfour.TahitiMoorea165.jpg.a4aed4c7d2667b2e967e5899eb01522a.jpg

This is one of the little negatives of HAL and thier Ocean View Cabins. All of them with the exception of Obstructed and Partially Obstructed on the Vista Class and Signature Class on Deck 4 have the hed of the bed up against the window. For the life of me I cannot figure out why :confused: No one can really see out unless the climb up on the bed to look out. Other cruise lines have nice sitting areas.

Other lines such as Princess have it look like this. THis picture came from herb who has sailed on HAL too and he had posted this on the Princess board it was from the Crown in 2007

DSCN0044.jpg

I guess they have since done upgrade in the cabin but you get the idea.

HAL has the room but none of their ships have the bed to the side which is really unfortunate.

I have to agree that having the headboard on one of the side walls is a much nicer configuration. We've had an oceanview on Galaxy(Celebrity) and the cabin seems much roomier with the beds on the side. Might be worth mentioning on the comment cards.

Regarding OP, not sure if the cabin steward would switch the beds. Always worth a try.

To the OP and all the rest of you,

If you go to ttp://mycruise.blogdns.com and click on Holland American you will be able to see the picture of the beds turned to the side on cabin G4092 in Swalm22's blog. Looks like it can be and is done.

WYAZ...The beds turned the other way are in a veranda cabin on the Noordam...Not an outside cabin..The OP specifically stated he has an outside cabin with the bed against the window..

Don't believe there is enough room in an outside cabin to turn the bed at a 90 degree angle on any of the "S" or "R" class ships..The two end tables would have to be placed somewhere else & most of the outside cabins on the "S" & "R" class ships have a beam which protrudes from one wall approx 6 inches....The couch is very close to the end of the bed on one side & the dresser is at the other end..

Pettifoger...You did not mention which ship you were booked on..However If you put the bed against one wall the steward would not be able to make it up.. It would be too cumbersome for him to work on it both morning & night..They can make up two twins though...The two end tables are approx 20 inches wide..That would only give you approx 40-45 inches of clear space to the opposite wall..I still don't think you would be able to see out of the window if the bed were against one wall..Also do you plan to put the coffee table for breakfast in that 40 inch space, or are you planing to eat off the Room service tray on your bed?

By the way we only book outside cabins & have been on on 9 HAL cruises in "R" & "S" class ships..And one Vista class, (Westerdam) ship...Unfortunately can't remember what the configuration was in our outside on the Westerdam...

If you are booked on the Noordam or Eurodam, it might be a different story..

JMO..Betty

Archived