Bears and other things!!!!

Deacon23

Going on NCL Star in July 2010. Will be in Ketchikan on 19 July. Looked at bear tours and they state that they do not have these until 'end' July. What does 'end of July' actually mean?

Also would like advice on best wildlife tours for Ketchikan, Prince Rupert and Skagway. Then, there is more, any other tours that are 'must sees' in these areas if we have time. We want to do as many tours as possible in these 3 places. In the processof booking whale watching and will go to glazier in Juneau.

The bear "season" (for lack of a better word) is different for different locations and also depends on the salmon runs.

There are some locations that require permits to go and view bears and they only sell the permits for different months/days.

We were there in early August and did our bear viewing at Pack Creek on Admiralty Island, out of Juneau. Our back up was to do Anan Creek out of Ketchikan. We are glad we did the Pack Creek trip. It was amazing. And when we were in Ketchikan we heard that some of the bear trips there were cancelled due to weather. So it worked out for us. Felt badly for the other folks.

Do plenty of research. Here is a Forest Service web page that gives a lot of nature viewing info. But there is tons more information out there so keep researching.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/ro/naturewatch/southeast/se_map.html

Happy planning!

Anan is my only recommendation and the only tour option out of Ketchikan in your timeframe. As mentioned, and with browns, look at Pack Creek.

These need to be booked way in advance. Even though the above poster had Anan as a back up, I can just about guarantee they would never have found anyone with permits to have been able to go. They may have had the option for one of the other two fly ins out of Ketchikan to either Neet's or Traitors, since their timeframe had them peak for those.

Anan is my only recommendation and the only tour option out of Ketchikan in your timeframe. As mentioned, and with browns, look at Pack Creek.

These need to be booked way in advance. Even though the above poster had Anan as a back up, I can just about guarantee they would never have found anyone with permits to have been able to go. They may have had the option for one of the other two fly ins out of Ketchikan to either Neet's or Traitors, since their timeframe had them peak for those.

My back up plan was to have booked Anan in advance if I had not received the permits for Pack Creek or not able to get a charter to take us out there. However, both of those things were done and booked in advance. (Although for permits you can not get those for Pack Creek until February of the year you are going. So you can only book so far in advance for that.) Also, we know what our time frame was and what was available. Also, this year the operators had plenty of space available. There were some excursions where we were the only two participants. Due to the economy or whatever, there was room for what we wanted to do if need be. (Not that this will always be the case and certaintly is not usually.) Do not feel you need to speak for us or explain our decisions please.

Deacon23, please read all the reviews on these boards before picking a bear viewing excursion. There are some really positive reviews as well as some negatives for some of the locations. And I believe it is the cruise ones that don't necessary always tell you where they are going and it may not be the best place. Again, check the reveiws to verify that.

Also booking privately vs. booking through the ship is more flexible and cheaper. Not only did we book privately we also booked independently. We spent about 1/2 what the excursions cost by some of the companies that do these. Also, we got to pick our own times for drop off and pick up on Admiralty Island. (And they were extremely prompt.) Also, the airport in Juneau is near the glacier, which is the other side of town from where the ships dock. (As we found out as we flew back into the airport and could see it right there. What a wonderful surprise to see it from the sky as we were landing.) So you could go and see the glacier afterwards.

Everyone who went whale watching in Juneau said they had a wonderful experience.

Good luck with all of your planing. It is exciting.

No one is "speaking" for you. It is extremely unlikely that walk up permits are available, no matter what the economy is. Being that these tours can cancel an hour ahead, I am not refering to months in advance back up plans. I continue to recommend that people may want to have an idea what else is available in port at the last minute, including having phone numbers and contacts available.

Actually, though the calendar is down now from this link (no more permits needed):

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/recreation/wildlife_viewing/ananobservatory.shtml

there were quite a few dates in 2009 where the full allotment of 60 permits did not get used. I was surprised as I was checking it periodically this summer. Did you check too and come to a different conclusion?

Same thing happened at Pack Creek. They only distribute 24 permits per day during the peak season and yet when we were there only about 12 people were there. The ranger told us that they had fewer visitors this year than previously. Due to the economy they think. So there were plenty of permits left for that day. Unfortunately you have to buy the permits in advance. Or find an operator that still had space, which it looked like at least one did.

Hi there - we were in Ketchikan in the first week of August and we went to view bears at Traitors Cove with Michelle from Island Wings. It was an amazing trip and can not recommend her highly enough.

The Bear Viewing in July is at Anon Creek and Michelle flies groups out there. We had originally wanted to go to Anon Creek having read many great reviews but the timing was not right.

We ended up seeing 6 bears on our trip and what an amazing experience. Read as many reviews as you can and research your trip well - book early!!! You will have an awesome time - enjoy!!

• 1 month later...

I know Alaska isn't Disney...no prescribed show times...but can anyone offer information on the probablity of seeing bears in early September at Traitors Cove vs. Pack Creek? This seems to be near the end of their season.

Thanks,

Melissa

PS So where do they go after that? Miami for the winter? ;)

Here is a link to different wildlife viewing locations through Tongass National Forest.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/ro/naturewatch/southeast/se_map.html

If you follow the links there is more information for each location, including prime times to go.

Traitor Cove is not listed there. You can get more information on that area from this link:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/recreation/rec_facilities/ktnrec.html

You can also do internet searches.

Every season is different from what I understand so there is no way to predict when would be a good time to see bears at any of the popular locations. Day of is the best be of finding out but you need to book in advance so it is a gamble. But I think well worth it. It is an awesome experience.

Good luck.

I know Alaska isn't Disney...no prescribed show times...but can anyone offer information on the probablity of seeing bears in early September at Traitors Cove vs. Pack Creek? This seems to be near the end of their season.

Thanks,

Melissa

PS So where do they go after that? Miami for the winter? ;)

Melissa, we did Traitor's Cove in early September and did not see a single bear despite spending several hours there. We still enjoyed our day and the flightseeing tour, but we didn't see any bears on our bear-viewing excursion. It's luck of the draw....

Melissa, we had good luck seeing a bear, yes, only ONE bear, but still a bear, on our Chilkoot Charters 7 hour trip to the Yukon. I've talked to a number of people who report having seen bear alongside the road on that trip. It was early September too. If it hadn't been for that trip, we wouldn't have seen a single bear.

Archived