price of laundry

upstate_italian

So I am going on my first cruise on the Fantasy out of New Orleans. I saw they have laundry and would like to know how much it costs. Also do you do it yourself or do they take it and do it for you?

It would be nice to be able to pack light even though it is only a 5 night cruise (8 days away from home).

I washed 2 loads on Fantasy last week. The price went up to $3 for washing and $3 for drying (was $2 a few months ago).

I used the laundry that is all the way forward on Empress. There is another in the aft somewhere.

IMO, it's too expensive to have them wash your clothes even during the special. I usually have at least a pair of jeans and that takes up most of the bag space.

There is usually a laundry special of $10 or $15 per bag one day during the cruise... The bag is not very big and is paper so you can't really stuff it. You won't be able to get enough in it to make a difference in your packing.

If you plan to do your own laundry the price has increased to $3 to wash & $3 to dry... Plan ahead and take a zip-lock baggie with your detergent in it and a dryer sheet. That will save you $2 as the detergent is $1 & a pack of softner is $1. The machines wash pretty quickly and have a timer on the them so you know when to come back. The driers are also very good and you can either stick around while you wash/dry or come and go.

Enjoy your 1st cruise but watch out for the cruise bug, its very contagious!!!:D

Wanted to also mention that I brought the new Purex 3-in-1 laundry sheets and they were great! They would work well for flying too as they are flat and contain detergent, softner and it becomes a dryer sheet.

I also took those on my cruise. I found they put spots on some of my blouses. But they sure were easy to use.

I do my laundry and I think it cost me about $10.00 for a large load to wash and dry. I do recommend that you do your laundry when the ship is in port, it is not as busy. When the ship is at sea everyone is doing their laundry. With only two washers and four dryers it takes a long time for everyone get their laundry done. They do NOT have a laundry room on every floor either.

So I am going on my first cruise on the Fantasy out of New Orleans. I saw they have laundry and would like to know how much it costs. Also do you do it yourself or do they take it and do it for you?

It would be nice to be able to pack light even though it is only a 5 night cruise (8 days away from home).

Hurry, hurry, hurry . . . get 9 more cruises in . . . then its FREE. :D

I also took those on my cruise. I found they put spots on some of my blouses. But they sure were easy to use.

They also put spots on my shirts, but they were just residue soap that washed out when I got home.

We washed clothes on the Fantasy a week ago. We did it after returning from the second port day. There are two facilities. The first one toward the center of the ship was completely filled, but the second one was available. It's surprising that so few machines are provided, yet there was still availability. I guess that is a good indication most people choose not to do laundry on vacation!

I carried a small amount of detergent and a few dryer sheets in a bag, which worked out well. There is no change machine in the facility, so stop by the purser's desk to get quarters. After moving the laundry to the dryer, the dryer apparently stopped and did not dry the clothes at all. We were able to get a refund from the purser's desk, move to a second dryer, and restart. The second time around, the clothes were obviously drying so this dryer was working, but it just wasn't enough to finish. We needed to pay for another round.

Be careful with the irons. A guy came in to iron a shirt and the iron leaked water and either stained or burned his shirt. He was not happy.

If you have late seating or anytime seating, we found the best time to do laundry was around 5:30 P. All the early diners are getting ready and it's still a bit too early for many late diners to think about laundry or ironing. Alternatively, early morning on sea days works too.

Don't tell my wife...:D

Hey, I do the laundry at home and on cruises and my wife knows. :) Normally on short cruises I don't need to do laundry. But on 7 days or longer I usually have to do a couple of loads as things get mixed up, even though I pack day by day. Inevitability I end up in a situation where I only have clean green shirts and clean blue pants. It really doesn't bother me to do it on a cruise as I pick a slow time to do it.

Archived