If you've cruised with a 2-year-old, I need your advice!

GatorTide

We're looking to book a weeklong cruise for May right after DD turns 2. My parents and ILs may join us. We were originally looking at Carnival so she could go to Camp Carnival. However, I was just reading through some of the threads on swim diapers and splash areas and I saw that kids in swim diapers aren't allowed in any of the pools on Carnival. I'm hoping she'll be toilet-trained by the time we sail, but I have no idea if she will or won't and I'd rather err on the side of caution. So then I was looking at RCI Freedom or Liberty, which would cost us more, but would allow her in some of the pools but she would be too young to go to their kid's club on her own. The ideal setup would be to go on the Oasis, which has a nursery AND the swimming option, but it will be pretty pricey. I'm not saying that the Oasis is definitely out, but I don't know if my parents and ILs will go for it. So my long, convoluted question is: would you rather do a cruise where your child could go to the kid's club or a cruise where he/she could go in the pools?

I sailed with my twins twice when they were 2 years old. We never missed the pool (in fact, they took 5 cruises before they ever used the ship pool). You can go to resorts and/or the beach during port days for swimming. There is plenty to do without the pool, or you can bring a blow up to splash around in. In my opinion, I would rate having a kids program they can participate in much higher than the pool, so I would choose Carnival or NCL for a 2 year old.

Best,

Mia

Pools, definitely. That's the struggle we have. Our daughter isn't toilet trained, and isn't particularly interested in it. But she would go crazy if she saw the pool but couldn't go in it. We couldn't do that to her (or us). So we're waiting until she's potty trained.

The only way a child that young will know about the pools, is if you take them to it! It's not like they're running around on their own!

I guess it depends on if you want some "time off" or not! The kids club will give you that option!

And it's true, there are always beaches at ports...they don't care about diapers there!

From what I've seen on the boards here, some people bring a little inflatable pool with them for the toddlers. I've also read that cruise lines don't always enforce the swim diaper restriction, but a lot of other cruisers "poo-poo" that idea... because of a pool having to close for poo-poo or something.

We did a Princess cruise with our daughter who was 18 months at the time. They had a children's area in the aft section of the ship that was seldomly used. It was a little windy back there, and it smelled of diesel, but it was functional.

Since we also had the grandparents along, they'd sometimes take time with her so we could do a spa treatment, specialty dinner, or something. For the most part, she was with us. We had a nice umbrella stroller which allowed us to take her to shows (she loves going to shows now).

If she got fussy, we'd give her her bottle and walk around the ship until she fell asleep.

Everything worked out. I don't regret taking her with us.

I mean.. How cool is this?

n1507726387_30036357_6250.jpg

We took our daughter when she was 18mths and our son when he was 2.5. We didnt do the pools but they loved the mini golf on carnival the waterwork and walking around the ship. At the time I didnt know you had to be potty trained to use the waterworks area since there were no signs posted but my kids loved that. Now they are potty trained and not quite 2.5 and 3.5 and we will do the waterworks on carnival. I am looking forward to camp carnival for the daycare and to give us some couple. There is quite a difference in cost between carnival and the freedom class ships. The ports give a lot of beach options for little ones

I agree with the others, go for either Carnival or NCL for the kids club. We are taking our DS (age 2) on a cruise at the end of October and I toilet trained him last month so that he can use the pools as well.

I would start training your daughter a month or two prior to the cruise so that you can enjoy all the amenities.

Have a great trip!

I showed my daughter pictures of the pool and waterpark and told her she had to use the potty if she wanted to swim on the big boat. That was her motivation and didnt take her long. I told her that she wouldnt be able to go with her brothers. Now she tells people she goes on the potty and will go on the big boat:D

The other point to consider with the pools - even though it's warm out, the water in the pool is generally pretty cold esp. on little people skin. On our last cruise in Feb. my 2 and 3 (both potty trained) found the pool freezing and the hot tub was still pretty cool considering it was a "hot" tub. We were in the hot tub the most, but they both LOVED LOVED the kids program.

When our baby DGD (our DD's first) is old enough for cruising (for us, that will be once she turns 2; a personal choice, we don't believe that babies should be "banned" from cruising, but it's not what we prefer for our family), we will take her and her mommy on a cruise with a children's program for 2-y/os. Not so that she can be "dumped" there all day long, but because some time in the programs is good for most children, IMO. It involves new situations (important for young ones to learn to adapt and to listen to adults other than their parents/grandparents/guardians), socializing (and Lord knows there is precious little of that sometimes with all the video games, computers, TV/DVDs, etc.), and also giving the adults some time on their own. Our DD will definitely need that because she is now, suddenly, a single parent and coping with everything that goes with it. I want her to be able to spend some time with her own parents, one on one, without our beloved DGD needing her or us. Our DD and my DH have a special and wonderful relationship. He has been the most wonderful influence and help to her...Yes, even more than I have. My DD and I enjoy spending "girl" time hanging out, having a drink, lounging in the sun, taking a walk, stopping in a lounge to listen to music, and just talking about important (and trivial) things. We adore our nearly new DGD...but we love our DD too and know she will need a bit of a break from time to time.

As for the pools, we will consider bringing a tiny blowup one for the balcony (we don't cruise without a balcony) because our DGD has already spent time in the public water play areas and kid's pools at home. She takes after her mom and her grandparents because she loves the water and will no doubt be "a fish" when she learns how to swim. If she fusses or whines when she sees a pool onboard where she is not allowed, she will be removed from the area and taken back to the cabin to calm down. At 2 she will be old enough to start to understand "no" and neither her mommy nor we buy into the idea that she would "go crazy" or "throw a tantrum" if she sees a pool, but is not allowed in it. Besides, there will no doubt be several beach opportunities on port days. It's not as if there wouldn't be captive on the ship with no water play time at all.

There are beaches at the ports, but not children's programs.

As always, JMO.

beachchick

We're looking to book a weeklong cruise for May right after DD turns 2. My parents and ILs may join us. We were originally looking at Carnival so she could go to Camp Carnival. However, I was just reading through some of the threads on swim diapers and splash areas and I saw that kids in swim diapers aren't allowed in any of the pools on Carnival. I'm hoping she'll be toilet-trained by the time we sail, but I have no idea if she will or won't and I'd rather err on the side of caution. So then I was looking at RCI Freedom or Liberty, which would cost us more, but would allow her in some of the pools but she would be too young to go to their kid's club on her own. The ideal setup would be to go on the Oasis, which has a nursery AND the swimming option, but it will be pretty pricey. I'm not saying that the Oasis is definitely out, but I don't know if my parents and ILs will go for it. So my long, convoluted question is: would you rather do a cruise where your child could go to the kid's club or a cruise where he/she could go in the pools?

We just returned from the Carnival Glory with our 22 month old son. He was able to use the kiddie pool on one of the top decks, right outside of Camp Carnival. It was a small pool, but it wasn't a problem, since there was never anyone else there!

My twin DD first cruise was right after they were 2. We went on a carnival partly since it was the best of the cruises out of NY and partly because they could do the kids club. Well my girls wanted nothing to do with the kids club after the first morning. So if your DD might not want to go to the kids club.

On the Carnival Miracle, there was a kiddie pool that all the children went in with the swim diapers even though the sign said it was not allowed. We also saw plenty of children in swim diapers in the main pool.

Archived