Vidalia Onion Tart

To paraphrase something that has been put on CC many times

Your worst meal on a RCL ship, is better than the best meal you have had to prepare, serve and clear up afterwards at home.

:D

You've got an Amen to that!! Sums up DW's feelings precisely.... Even though she is an excellent cook, I do a great deal of the cooking around here, I can make a roast that's sooooo bad even the gravy is tough:eek:! She didn't cook it or clean up after it..... So it is perfect! Even though we both cruise for other reasons as well, there just is something great about knowing you are going to get a decent meal, something you will find appetizing and all served beautifully!

Keeping this on topic, we both look forward to the onion tart as well.....

Your worst meal on a RCL ship, is better than the best meal you have had to prepare, serve and clear up afterwards at home.

I don't know if I'd go that far.

Hard to beat the 18oz T-Bones I grilled a couple weekends ago. One of the best steaks I've had in the last couple years. Don't know how such good beef ended up on sale at the local store, just wish I would have bought more :p

The vadalia onion tart used to one one of my favorite RCI dishes, if not my absolute favorite RCI dish. However, on our last cruise, it was a totally different recipe. Or the same recipe but not executed correctly. It was a huge disappointment for me.

I thought the food on board VisOTS was quite superb in the MDR over a course of 5 days. Absolutely top quality service and quality.

And I will agree with you there.

I thought the food on Vision was very good, despite what I had read about the food on RCI.

Our waiters were the best I have had as well............Millford and Osgood. I don't know if they are still on that ship, but they were the best.

All this talk and the cool weather tomorrow here I think I will make it. So if anyone else's mouth is watering here is the recipe

Royal Caribbean International

Vidalia Onion Tart with Red Pepper Coulis Garnish

October 2006

PIE

1 pie crust purchased or

1 cup all purpose flour

½ tsp. salt

¼ cup shortening at room temperature

3 Tablespoons water

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 cup julienned Vidalia onions (2-3 onions)

1 Tablespoon chopped thyme

Salt and freshly ground pepper

FILING

½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese

3 eggs

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 Tablespoon chopped parsley

1 Tablespoon chopped chives

½ tsp. ground nutmeg

RED PEPPER COULIS

4 red bell peppers

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

GARNISH

1 medium Vidalia onion

1/3 cup vegetable oil

Fresh chervil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a medium bowl, with a fork, lightly stir together flour and salt. With fork, cut shortening into flour until the mixture resembles crumbs. Sprinkle cold water one teaspoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition, until pastry begins to hold together. With your hands, shape into a ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry in 1/8 inch thick circle about 2 inches larger than pie mold.

Roll pastry circle gently onto rolling pin. Transfer to pie mold and unroll. With a sharp knife, trim edges, pinch to form a high ridge and make a decorative edge by pressing with a fork. Prick pie crust with a fork to prevent puffing during baking. Refrigerate for ½ hour.

Blind bake pie crust for 7 minutes, remove from oven and let cool.

While pie crust is baking, warm olive oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat, and sauté onions until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add thyme and season with salt and pepper.

Spread onions evenly in pie crust. Sprinkle with cheese.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs lightly; add cream, fresh herbs and seasonings. Beat until well mixed.

Pour mixture over cheese and onions. Bake for 40 minutes.

For coulis, blanch peppers in boiling water. Cool in ice water, and remove skins.

In a blender, puree the peppers and olive oil until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

For garnish, in a small skillet over high heat, warm oil and deep fry onion until golden brown (about 2 minutes).

Serve slices of tart on warmed plates, top with fried onions and garnish with spoons of pepper coulis.

Thank you, Sue L -- but I said "I wish I was being served one right now" not "I wish I could cook one for myself right now" :p

Most of the times that we had the Vidalia Onion Tart it was nothing short of amazing. A few times it was either too dry or soggy. It is hard to know what the posters got when they had it but in my opinion when it is good; it is MOST excellent! Yum!!!

I LOVE the Onion Tart and I love to cook......but that recipe was over the top for me! I bought the cookbook a couple of years ago but found most of the recipes were more than I wanted to take on.

There's also a Mushroom tart in a puff pastry that nobody ever mentions. I absolutely love this!!!

There's also a Mushroom tart in a puff pastry that nobody ever mentions. I absolutely love this!!!

Oh, that mushroom tart is fantastic. I raved about it so much as I was eating it that our waiter brought me another (without me asking) :D

Count me among those who disagree with that sentiment. I'm a really good cook and baker, and I generally enjoy preparing meals at home. We rarely eat out except when traveling (plus once or twice a month to the small local fish joint nearby; we buy our fresh fish from their fish market). My DH does the dishes at home, so that's not a concern for me. (He's a very smart man who understands that if he wants fresh and tasty meals and delicious baked items, he'd better clean those dishes, pots, pans, and utensils so that I can use them again...);)

That said, we've had meals and dishes ranging from "excellent" to "blah" on RCI. We've only sent back items a few times over the years, and we're pretty picky. OTOH, we also don't plan our cruises or cruise days around eating. We expect a reasonable variety of tasty food that is properly prepared; we do not expect a 4 or 5 star dining experience on any mass market cruise line. RCI has rarely disappointed us.

The vadalia onion tart used to one one of my favorite RCI dishes, if not my absolute favorite RCI dish. However, on our last cruise, it was a totally different recipe. Or the same recipe but not executed correctly. It was a huge disappointment for me.

I agree! The first time we had it was nearly a decade ago now. I just loved it and even my DH thought it was tasty (even though he is not an "onion fan"). A year later, it was not quite as good, but it was still in the individual tart form and I wrote off the differences to being on a different ship with different chefs. The next cruise, I had raved about it to my sister, but it was in the new form (like a "piece of custard pie"), kind of "flat" tasting, wasn't presented as nicely, and simply didn't live up to the previous ones. It was my sister and BIL's first cruise, but she took it in good humor with an understanding that things change, not always for the better, and pointed out that it wasn't "horrible" or anything; it simply was only "okay" and nothing special. Oh well.

We have always found that the quality of some dishes varies from ship to ship and even from itinerary to itinerary. Our very first RCI cruise on Radiance, we ate at Chops. I had the brioche bread pudding for dessert and was absolutely wowed. It was perfect in every way: Presented beautifully, cooked just right, great balance of flavors and textures, just right proportions, etc. I have yet to have one that good on other RCI cruises. In fact, I've stopped trying to recreate that "moment" and now just keep it tucked away as a fond memory.:)

beachchick

I agree! The first time we had it was nearly a decade ago now. I just loved it and even my DH thought it was tasty (even though he is not an "onion fan"). A year later, it was not quite as good, but it was still in the individual tart form and I wrote off the differences to being on a different ship with different chefs. The next cruise, I had raved about it to my sister, but it was in the new form (like a "piece of custard pie"), kind of "flat" tasting, wasn't presented as nicely, and simply didn't live up to the previous ones. It was my sister and BIL's first cruise, but she took it in good humor with an understanding that things change, not always for the better, and pointed out that it wasn't "horrible" or anything; it simply was only "okay" and nothing special. Oh well.

beachchick

Except that I wasn't even referring to the change from individual round tart to slice form. I was just talking about the slice form, but a change in quality and taste. Hopefully it was just not as good on that particular ship. The food was significantly worse overall on that cruise.

Except that I wasn't even referring to the change from individual round tart to slice form. I was just talking about the slice form, but a change in quality and taste. Hopefully it was just not as good on that particular ship. The food was significantly worse overall on that cruise.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I was just explaining the "sequence" of onion tarts for us and how it changed not saying that the change in form was the specific reason we thought the quality declined. I'm sorry to hear that it's even less special these days. Our last few cruises have been with other cruise lines, but we're looking at RCI for our next. Ah well, it's not like we'll starve or anything. I agree that the food quality has suffered over recent years; that's IMO, of course, because food is pretty subjective.

beachchick

I just do not understand all the fuss. Everybody has different tastes so you are going to find different opinions. I love to cook and bake and I try many different entrees and desserts. I still would rather be on a ship so I do not have to prepare the food or clean up after. I have never had a bad meal on a dish. One of my dishes was somewhat dry and the waiter replaces it and it was excellent. Some of you that are complaining about cold or whatever your complaint is should try and cook for 3000 people and see how you fair. I made a buffet for 150 at my house and let me just say it was not the easiest thing I have ever done.

Cindy

I love quiches, so I was going to ask where this was served, but no one mentioned the "dreaded" red pepper part-just can't eat the stuff, although they're SO pretty!

the pepper are NOT in it, but like a garnish, easily taken off, order it and ask for them to be left off.

Archived