Vidalia Onion Tart

I was so so looking forward to it.

Had told my wife that everyone on CC thought it was superb, but we were both left somewhat deflated.

The rest of the food made up for it though, so, as you say, it's all about opinions.

Now as for Honeystung chicken........that is another story.:p

Considerably overated

Disappointing

No different to a quiche

Sorry to be so controversial;)

All I can say is that in my opinion the Vidalia Onion Tart is...

Extremely Underrated

Delightful

No different than a piece of heaven

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I agree it's over-hyped but I quite like it and think it's better than a quiche....and it's not the same as a quiche as a quiche has bacon and egg and this has onions ;)

No, quiche can have a number of fillings...including onion and gruyere cheese.

I will say this much.

I thought the food on board VisOTS was quite superb in the MDR over a course of 5 days. Absolutel top quality service and quality.

So what did stand out for ya??

Rib of Beef was exceptional

Lobster Bisque was superb (in fact all the soups were great (Latvian soup - Mushroom and potato was a real suprise package)

My wife has just interupted me to say "That chocolate thing on the first night" (A bit vague I know)

Onion tart wasn't bad, just I'd got myself all excited and it did not live up to my expectations.

I agree it's over-hyped but I quite like it and think it's better than a quiche....and it's not the same as a quiche as a quiche has bacon and egg and this has onions ;)

All quiches have eggs, but not all have bacon. In addition to onions, quiches can have mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus, ham, seafood (crab, shrimp, etc), peppers and on and on.

Tune in tomorrow for a discussion of canapes and what you can put on them LOL!!!!!

This is how I felt about the honey stung chicken. After reading the glowing comments, all I tasted was dried out chicken that had been coated with a batter that had a little honey in it, I guess. It had a lot of fat in it and was still dry.

Food is so subjective, I can sit next to a person raving about a dish and I think it's awful...and vice versa.

Most every cruise we do find something we like to eat, but like ehfl wrote, it pretty much tastes like banquet food to us.

I much preferred the Vidalia Onion Tart when it was an actual tart, meaning like a small, round pie. It was more moist then. It is still OK now and I always order it, but the previous rendition of it was more substantial and was a nicer presentation.

Yeah, I like it better when it was a tart, too.

This slice of not-really-a-tart-almost-a-quiche is seriously not as good.;):D

I wish I was being served a Vadalia Onion Tart right now!;)

All this talk and the cool weather tomorrow here I think I will make it. So if anyone else's mouth is watering here is the recipe

Royal Caribbean International

Vidalia Onion Tart with Red Pepper Coulis Garnish

October 2006

PIE

1 pie crust purchased or

1 cup all purpose flour

½ tsp. salt

¼ cup shortening at room temperature

3 Tablespoons water

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 cup julienned Vidalia onions (2-3 onions)

1 Tablespoon chopped thyme

Salt and freshly ground pepper

FILING

½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese

3 eggs

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 Tablespoon chopped parsley

1 Tablespoon chopped chives

½ tsp. ground nutmeg

RED PEPPER COULIS

4 red bell peppers

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

GARNISH

1 medium Vidalia onion

1/3 cup vegetable oil

Fresh chervil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a medium bowl, with a fork, lightly stir together flour and salt. With fork, cut shortening into flour until the mixture resembles crumbs. Sprinkle cold water one teaspoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition, until pastry begins to hold together. With your hands, shape into a ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry in 1/8 inch thick circle about 2 inches larger than pie mold.

Roll pastry circle gently onto rolling pin. Transfer to pie mold and unroll. With a sharp knife, trim edges, pinch to form a high ridge and make a decorative edge by pressing with a fork. Prick pie crust with a fork to prevent puffing during baking. Refrigerate for ½ hour.

Blind bake pie crust for 7 minutes, remove from oven and let cool.

While pie crust is baking, warm olive oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat, and sauté onions until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add thyme and season with salt and pepper.

Spread onions evenly in pie crust. Sprinkle with cheese.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs lightly; add cream, fresh herbs and seasonings. Beat until well mixed.

Pour mixture over cheese and onions. Bake for 40 minutes.

For coulis, blanch peppers in boiling water. Cool in ice water, and remove skins.

In a blender, puree the peppers and olive oil until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

For garnish, in a small skillet over high heat, warm oil and deep fry onion until golden brown (about 2 minutes).

Serve slices of tart on warmed plates, top with fried onions and garnish with spoons of pepper coulis.

Rib of Beef was exceptional

Lobster Bisque was superb (in fact all the soups were great (Latvian soup - Mushroom and potato was a real suprise package)

My wife has just interupted me to say "That chocolate thing on the first night" (A bit vague I know)

Onion tart wasn't bad, just I'd got myself all excited and it did not live up to my expectations.

Ha ha, I've had the prime rib too many times to count and I'm usually disappointed. The onion tart on the other hand has never been a disappointment.

My biggest complaint with Royal's food is the over use of salt. My spouse, who suffers from very low blood pressure, always returns from a cruise with swollen feet.

To paraphrase something that has been put on CC many times

Your worst meal on a RCL ship, is better than the best meal you have had to prepare, serve and clear up afterwards at home.

:D

So true. And I would like to add.. we love the Vidalia Onion Tart, look forward to it every cruise.

Your worst meal on a RCL ship, is better than the best meal you have had to prepare, serve and clear up afterwards at home.

Well, it depends if you enjoy cooking or not. But I would definately prefer to be on a cruise than at home, food is not the the thing I cruise for.;)

Have to disagree on that one - I've cooked and eaten far better meals at home than some of the worst ones I've had on RCCL ships - and at least I always serve my food hot ;)

Whilst I don't cruise for the food alone, my evening meal is one of the day's highlights when I'm on holiday. I choose RCCL cos it's such a good cruiseline for my family - once my kids have flown the nest I'll be looking for something with better food.

Archived