Major predicament - Royal or Celebrity

My wife and I are currently booked on a 7 night cruise out of San Juan on the Adventure next January. At the end of that cruise, we would become Diamond Plus members.

Doing some "playing" online, I found that we can do a 10 night cruise to almost the exact same islands (switching St. Thomas for St. Croix) on the Celebrity Equinox for less cost.

The only difference would be, we have a Junior Suite on the Adventure and would only be in a Veranda room on the Equinox.

Obviously, another consideration is, airfare will be cheaper to Fort Lauderdale than it will be to San Juan with much better flight schedules.

I guess my question really boils down to, is it worth striving so hard for that Diamond Plus status?

We are also a few points from Diamond Plus. When evaluating the differences, there is not anything that is important to us for this particular change in status. Our favorite benefit of all is the Diamond Lounge, and this does not change. For an extra 3 nights, I would choose Celebrity. We love the food and the overall feel of a Celebrity cruise. We have cruised out of San Juan many times for the ports of call, but sometimes the ship can be overtaken by loud, obnoxious people on the Adventure. I would choose the calm anytime! :)

We are not even at Diamond level loyalty. We have cruised both lines. Though you cannot accrue RCCL loyalty points on Celebrity, or the other way around, they grant benefits/perks equivalent to your current level with the other line. I cannot recall the loyalty levels on Celebrity. I want to say we are Select Members on Celebrity (Platinum on RCCL). You may want to see what the equivalent level is between Diamond (where you are currently on RCCL) and whatever level is equivalent for Celebrity. If the benefits/perks appeal to you- then only you can decide what line you want to cruise.

If you have not cruised Celebrity before, I think it is a more upscale experience. It is a bit more relaxed and elegant. We said Solstice in 2010 and 2012. We loved it. Our niece was with us on both cruises. She was 5 on the 2010 cruise and 7 on the 2012 cruise. She loved the kids program in 2010 and did not care for it in 2012. We thought the kids programs on both lines were well run. The kids were basically kept busy all the time. It was not a screaming kid fest by any means on either ship.

Royal seems more "family" oriented- at least on the ships we have sailed- Mariner and Freedom. We sailed Majesty years ago when she was a fairly new ship as well.

Check out Celebrity's reviews and boards.

I think it just depends on what sort of experience you want. You can have a nice elegant experience on Royal, and even more so once you achieve those upper level loyalty perks (Diamond and above).

If you want a quieter experience, to save money, and to really kick back and feel pampered- I do highly recommend giving Celebrity a chance. If you don't like it, go back to Royal and get your loyalty points on another cruise. It will just take you a little longer to get there.

I guess my question really boils down to, is it worth striving so hard for that Diamond Plus status?

I don't think so. I'd take the longer, less expensive cruise.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

Being Diamond on RCCL, we're automatically Elite on Celebrity so entitled to the "perks" offered under that Captains Club tier (cocktail hour, Internet, laundry, etc).

In as much as we really enjoy Royal, we're starting to lean towards Celebrity and the extra 3 nights.

Celebrity is more upscale. The new ships are gorgeous and classy. More hotel hip. Service great. The regular verandah rooms are pretty close to a deluxe or even a mini suite on other lines. For sure, longer is better especially on a classy ship.

You will make diamond soon. I would take the longer less expensive cruise on celebrity. By the time you figure in airfare to San Juan the rise becomes less practical.

Enjoy your cruise!

Depending on the airline the cost to San Juan can be the same as Florida.