Singing waiters

balf

Like or not like?

I have a "significant birthday" approaching and it will be at sea.

Please no, don't want the balloons and a group of waiters "singing" "happy birthday" to the wrong tune. Or the non complementary cake.

I swear I'll sue if they do.

David.

Our anniversary was ignored on the day, but a table mate mentioned it the next day and we had the Britannia Chior sing to us that evening. Just try to keep it quiet in the restaurant and hopefully you will get your wish.

haaaa have to chuckle - on our last Christmas 26 night voyage on QM2 every night the waiters were singing to guests before moving onto another table and starting again, it then progressed to see which tables could blow hooters louder .... I love it, we will be celebrating two birthdays and a wedding anniversary on our next cruise ... don't forget your balloons and banners for your stateroom door and also let the entertainment director know and they will make a tv announcement on the morning show ;)

I have been on board for my birthday twice and had the cake and singing both times. That was back when it was "free". I have also had a cake and singing waiters when it was not my birthday, I think I gone on intended for someone one second sitting :eek:

Edited by Lanky Lad

We celebrated a significant anniversary on our first crossing. I didn't tell our waiters, but someone at the table next to ours did, and before we knew it we had a full complement crooning (as best they could) "Let Me Call You Sweetheart." It was a bit hokey, of course, but if ever there was a time to give in to sentiment, this was it, and we've cherished the moment ever since.

Like or not like?

I have a "significant birthday" approaching and it will be at sea.

Please no, don't want the balloons and a group of waiters "singing" "happy birthday" to the wrong tune. Or the non complementary cake.

I swear I'll sue if they do.

David.

Hey, David, when is you big B-day? We'll sing to you here - and thankfully, you won't hear my voice!:eek::)

But seriously, no worries. Unless you ask for it, no one will sing to you in the MDR (and even if some did make such a request, chances are it might not happen). Your birthday will just be a secret amongst us :cool:

Cheers!

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

... Please no, don't want the balloons and a group of waiters "singing" "happy birthday" to the wrong tune. Or the non complementary cake. I swear I'll sue if they do. David.
I'm with you David, it would be my idea of hell :( .

Mind you, unless I book a world cruise, I'm very unlikely to be on board when it is my birthday :) .

Best wishes.

I'd be mortified if they sang to me.

It is possible to get your revenge.

Many years ago I had a birthday on board, another gentleman had a birthday and the third couple at the table were on their honeymoon. Every second night the waiters were at the table singing "Happy Birthday" or "Let Me Call You Sweetheart". Our waiter happened to mention that his birthday was the following week. What he didn't know was that we were on back-to-back cruises.

On the night of his birthday everything went as normal until he went off to the galley for the desserts, when we produced the cake, balloons, streamers and whatever that were hidden under the table. When he returned his look of confusion, turning to shock, turning to embarrassment was priceless. When we sat him down at the table and all sang "Happy Birthday" to him he really looked like he wished the ground would open up and swallow him.

I wasn't really surprised that he would remember it when we met him years later but it has also been mentioned to us by the maitre d' and other waiters at various times.

BTW that is the only ship I have ever been on where the waiters can sing in tune, both as Cunard's Crown Dynasty and as Fred Olsen's Braemar.

Regards, Colin.

Hey, David, when is you big B-day? We'll sing to you here - and thankfully, you won't hear my voice!:eek::)

). Your birthday will just be a secret amongst us :cool:

Cheers!

Salacia

Tell you what Sal, I'll tell you when it was when we get back.

David.

I am always on a Cunard ship for my birthday. I have had happy birthday sung many times from the waiters over the year and the free cake. Now you do not get the cake or a sing along unless you ask, and pay your $35 for the cake. You do still get a birthday card though from Cunard.

I always have a party in the Commodore club for a bunch of people. Usually before dinner on the day of my birthday.

This year on QE we had my party in the Admiral lounge. I had ten friends there, plus Paul Richie the resident band singer from the Queens room. The Maître D from Britannia Oliver was there. The Hotel Manager David Hamilton and his parent Kelly and Terry Waite from the Duckling Club.

I also had my favourite waitress Anna serve the champagne and yes, Paul lead the singing of Happy Birthday to me. No cake in the Britannia as I do not want cake just prefer a private party where you can celebrate with friends and drink a few bottles of Veuve Clicquot. What more could a girl want? :)

I find the singing in the dining room annoying, especially when they go from one table to another, but I can tune it out. It also annoys me when staff go around singing to themselves in the buffet or other venues.

It would be fine with me if no staff were ever allowed to sing on the ship except at the talent show, but, like I said, I can tune it out.

Edited by PunkiC

BTW that is the only ship I have ever been on where the waiters can sing in tune, both as Cunard's Crown Dynasty and as Fred Olsen's Braemar.

The singing was ridiculous on the Braemar, our dinner was often delayed because our waiter was off banging a drum for somebody's birthday.

It's our anniversary during our next cruise, I'd never considered singing might be an issue for that, I'm glad I've booked Todd English, please tell me there is no singing there ?

Tell you what Sal, I'll tell you when it was when we get back.

David.

:)

Ok. Anyway, best wishes for a happy Birthday...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DAVID, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! -and many happy returns of the day, whenever that might be! :) -Cheers,

Salacia

:)

Ok. Anyway, best wishes for a happy Birthday...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DAVID, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! -and many happy returns of the day, whenever that might be! :) -Cheers,

Salacia

Now if you'd made that "Let me call you sweetheart".......

David.

The singing was ridiculous on the Braemar, our dinner was often delayed because our waiter was off banging a drum for somebody's birthday.

It's our anniversary during our next cruise, I'd never considered singing might be an issue for that, I'm glad I've booked Todd English, please tell me there is no singing there ?

If you think Fred Olsen is bad then stay well clear of Thomson.

They go the full hog with hankies and napkins...

8737172157_54757162a7_z.jpg

:o

• 2 weeks later...