Cockatoo island, Sydney. And other Non-touristy spots?

dkata

We have 5 days pre-cruise in Sydney. Staying in Darling harbor area.

Planning to see the mainstays-- Opera house, Rocks Area, Royal botanic garden, Mrs Macquaries chair, bondi beach and Watson bay, Ferry to manly, the wildlife museum (or Taronga zoo), The free walking tours of CBD and the Rocks.

Not interested in the really tourist stuff like the tower or the aquarium or the hop-on, hop-off bus or most of the tourist traps in the Darling harbor area.

then post-cruise to the Blue mountains, and back to Sydney to see Hyde Park area- free art galleries, barracks, etc

unfortunately, the police and justice museum is only open weekends and doesn't fit in with our plans.

Just wondering what else to see? Is Cockatoo Island worth a visit?

I think you are being a little hard on Darling Harbour. Many of the attractions there are very appealing to local families; My grandson just went to the Aquarium for his 4th birthday. However, unless you are travelling with kids you would certainly want to give some a miss.

I have not been to Cockatoo Island but I would have to say that I expect it was developed for tourists. What you have already listed covers a large number of the main tourist attractions so I assume you are wanting to see some typical local places.

One suggestion, seeing that you already has planned to go to Manly in the north and Bondi in the east, is to head south and or west.You could get the train south to Cronulla. On the way, get off at Hurstville, which is the centre of the Cantonese community and have a Chinese snack. Then continue to Oatley and if you like walking, walk across the bridge to Como and stop for a drink at the Como pub before getting the train on to Cronulla. There you can walk the Esplanade walk or even take the ferry to Bundeena in the Royal national Park. To go west you can get the ferry up to Parramatta, perhaps stopping off at Abbotsford and visiting the Sydney Rowing Club, where you can eat at a typical club.

Also consider taking the train to Kiama, which is almost a commuter town to the south. The station there is very conveniently located though it takes a while to get there.

Closer to the city, Newtown is very interesting. Or you could walk across the bridge or get the train. Wander around Luna Park, the historic funpark overlooking the harbour.

Cockatoo Island is a UNESCO World Heritage site. It is a fascinating industrial site, basically left in its original condition. You can camp on the island in on site tents or in heritage listed apartments. You can catch a ferry there.

www.cockatooisland.gov.au

If you enjoy walking, there are lots of beautiful walks in Sydney -

Taronga to Balmoral Beach (ferry to Taronga Zoo, walk to Balmoral Beach, bus back from Balmoral Beach to ferry)

Ferry to Manly - walk along harbour front to the Spit

Ferry to Manly - walk along the oceanfront to Shelly Beach, via the Bower.

From Watson's Bay along the waterfront to the Heads overlooking Manly,

From Watson's Bay, via The Gap, then bus to North Bondi Beach.

North Bondi Beach via Bondi Beach, along the waterfront to Bronte

In addition, you might enjoy the State Library, which often has very interesting exhibits, plus the Museum.

Edited by MMDown Under

Some excellent suggestions above.

Depends what you're into, but closer to the city, it's nice to explore Woolloomooloo (navy base, good views, some heritage), Potts Point (was the densest populated area in Australia, old apartments, historic hotels and interesting dining), Elizabeth Bay, Rushcutters Bay (both very nice historic architecture, little parks and gardens) and on to Darlinghurst (historic institutions) and Oxford st (gay, arty), on to Paddington and Centennial Park and Bondi Junction.

I wonder if the OP meant to say Fort Denison? It's an early colonial gaol, an historic fort that never fired a shot in anger and these days a heritage listed National Park. Small enough to get around by foot. Catch a ferry or join a tour for an insight into the first white settlement in Australia.