Air conditioning in hotels near Munich and Zurich

terpshockey77

We are taking time pre cruise and one night post cruise and will be traveling south of Munich as well as Zurich. We have noticed a number of hotels without a/c. My husband is concerned but I figure we are near the alps and should be worried. Am I mistaken? We are traveling last August/early September.

We are taking time pre cruise and one night post cruise and will be traveling south of Munich as well as Zurich. We have noticed a number of hotels without a/c. My husband is concerned but I figure we are near the alps and should be worried. Am I mistaken? We are traveling last August/early September.

We lived in Augsburg, Germany for four years. Our apartment had AC, but we hardly every used it.

However, it can get hot in Germany in the Summer. The Germans joke and say both weeks of it. It rarely get over 90 degrees F. in the Summer.

We have stayed in hotels in Garmisch, and places in the alpine regions of Austria. Some had AC, most did not. I would expect the more expensive hotels to have AC. The higher in altitude you go, the less you will need AC.

It is rare to find A/C anywhere in Europe at hotels. Have stayed at 5 star hotels without A/C. It can be something you need. Not everyday in the summer but on many.

JC

AC is pretty common now in hotels in Italy, Spain, Southern France, Greece, where it does get hot. Don't need it much in Northern Europe.

Look at the Marriott in Zurich. Pretty certain it has A/C. It within easy walking distance of the main rail station. Also near by is the meeting point for a number of bus tours of the city and the surrounding regions.

We did our own land tour of Switzerland for a week in June, followed by a river cruise. Of the six hotels we stayed in, I think two had AC. It was cooler temps. so we opened the windows, I love fresh air. If you are looking for a smaller reasonable hotel in Zurich within a walk of the train station (hauling luggage!) the Hotel Arlette was great and they did have AC. I found it via Rick Steves and would recommend.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

It is rare to find A/C anywhere in Europe at hotels. Have stayed at 5 star hotels without A/C. It can be something you need. Not everyday in the summer but on many.

JC

Not our experience, for the last 20 years AC has been a criteria for 5 star ratings.

WE have enjoyed AC in about 40 hotels all over Europe which were comfortably cooled. The exception is when we were actually in the Swiss, Austrian and Italian alps where it is rare for nights not to cool off.