Private Excursions-Europe-Advice

WEINGAKA

Hello,

My husband and I will be in Europe for an 11-day cruise. This will be our first time cruising and I was curious how people approach private tours and tipping. I'm reading mixed reviews online about tipping or not tipping.

One excursion we're doing just the two of us is 550 Euros for a one hour drive to 2 wineries for wine tasting. To me personally, I find 550 Euros sufficient to cover the cost of time, driving and reserving the wineries, but coming from a culture of tipping, I feel guilty if I didn't tip on top of the 550 Euros. How would you approach this? And if you did tip, how much?

For another excursion, were joining 6 other people. We have a driver taking us to Pompeii, Sorrento and the Amalfi coast, along with a guide for Pompeii. The total is 700 Euros split between 8 of us. I read if you choose to tip you should tip the driver and guide. Would you tip and if so, how much to both?

Also, I've added up our private excursions and we're looking at needing at least 2k in Euros, plus money for tips and restaurants (excursions are paid in cash after the tour). I'm also curious what recommendations people have on this amount of money. We have the money belts and anti theft purse. We've read all the tips on avoiding pickpockets. I hear the cruise's exchange rate is bad, but I don't know if I feel comfortable in NYC for two days and Venice for 2 more days with so much money, and I'm also concerned about withdrawing that amount at an ATM in Venice.

Thank you for any and all advice. We're new to all of this and we want to be respectful and appreciative as far as tipping or not needing to. We keep hearing mixed reviews on that. As far as carrying so much cash, I'm concerned about safety with so much.

Edited by WEINGAKA

They have cash machines everywhere in Europe. Just check with your bank that you can use your card at these machines before you travel. All shops and restaurants will take credit cards. Cafés and small purchases will expect cash. I would recommend you take maybe €200 euros each and draw out €400 every couple of days.

Tipping is tough. Europeans, myself included would never tip a tour guide especially not if we had already been paid €500+ .the same with the €700. We would expect the driver/guide to be well compensated.

Unfortunately you're American and have built a reputation of splashing the cash, so where they wouldn't expect a European to tip they may hint or say to you they want a tip. A group tour I would give maybe €5 pp. But no more than this.

In cafes and such we would normally just leave the change.

So if lunch cost €18 we would leave €2. If counter service they sometimes have a jar where you put your change.

The biggest hint to whether they expect a tip is how they give you your change. If lunch was €14, you give them €20 & they give you €5 note & €1 coin they don't expect a tip. If they give you change €1×2 + €2x2, they expect a tip (€2 or €3 is fine).

Dinner at night is usually about 10% unless a service charge has been added.

Also this varies by country. Italy & Greece will usually charge for bread or dips or table snacks. This is sort of like a tip, which is usually added to foreigner bill, so carefully check your bill, If you have been charged for the bread I would only leave my loose change as a tip.

I know this must sound very complicated to you.🤔☺ but remember waiter staff are generally paid a living wage, they are not depending on tips to live. It's really not expected or just a small tip. Don't feel guilty for not dropping a 20% tip on everyone you meet. As I said as you are from the US there is an added expectation that you will tip that they wouldn't expect from anyone else.

I hope this helps a bit for you. Have fun on your European adventure. 😀

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

This is absolutely wonderful. Thank you for such great advice! I'm going to refer to it when we're at restaurants, as this is very useful.

I have a friend that's European, and he said he never understood the US culture of tipping [emoji5]he said to go on our excursions with the mentality of a European and to not tip, especially when the tours are priced what they are. I'm going to do my best to remember this, but coming from a culture where tipping is the norm, it's hard to shake the mentality! So I appreciate the advice of 5 Euros pp in case I feel guilty [emoji5]

Thank you so much for all of your tips and advice. It's greatly appreciated. We're so excited to go and are looking forward to it!

Hi,

First of all, tipping isn't the big deal in Europe (or most of the rest of the world) that it is in the USA. If you want to be "respectful" of tipping levels you'll be closer to the mark if you don't tip anything rather than tipping at US levels.

A max of 30 for the wine day (€550 sounds like a very high price - is it inclusive of food / tours / tastings?), a minimum of zilch if the guide doesn't go the extra mile.

I guess a max of €50 euros for the Pompeii / Amalfi guide, split between the 8 of you ie about €6 each, and half as much for the driver. Again, subject to how enjoyable they made the day - and a little conflab with your companions so that no-one tips waaay more or waaaay less than the others.

If you get it wrong, no worries. Nobody's going to chase you down the street.

2k euros in cash?

That sounds way way too much.

Use your credit card wherever you can for any purchase over about €15. The exchange rate provided by cards is better than any exchange bureau, especially ship's exchange bureau. If you have a card with no foreign transaction fees, use it even for smaller amounts. If you don't have a card with no foreign transaction fees, consider getting one for this and any other trip abroad. Your compatriots can suggest suitable cards.

Because of the good exchange rate you get with plastic, always decline any offer to charge your card in your own currency - keep the transaction in local currency. This not only gives you the best rate but its also easier to confirm that the vendor has charged the correct amount. Same applies if your home currency isn't the same as ship's currency eg if you're Canadian on a US ship or American on an Italian ship, always settle your on-board account in ship's currency.

You can feel pretty confident leaving your cash in the safe in your cabin, just taking each day what you need plus a little reserve. But you'll be carrying all the cash from home to ship, and losing €2k in one hit isn't a great way to start your vacation.

You need to learn to trust your debit card in ATMs and draw cash as you need it. That gives you the greatest flexibility, the greatest safety, and by far the best value.

Do remember to tell your card issuers about your trip - otherwise they may refuse an overseas payment for fear of fraud.

Never ever use ship's exchange bureaux, the rates they give are not "bad",they're horrendous.:eek:

OK, mebbe for $20-worth, for instance to have some local jungle in your pocket if one of your ports isn't in Euroland.

All JMHO as always.

Have a great first cruise

JB :)

Hi JB,

Thank you for the advice as well!

I'm going to do my best to have a European mentality to not tip, but I appreciate your advice and kerryincork's should we find we can't shake our US mentality[emoji5]the guidelines both of you have suggested are super helpful and I'm very grateful.

My understanding of the 550 Euros excursion is its transportation from the harbor to the 2 wineries and back (a little over an hour one way), as well as reservations to taste wine and tour the vineyards with some snacks (cheese, salami). We asked they give us a recommendation for dinner but that's not included in the price, so we'd be spending more for dinner. The price was 600 Euros and I negotiated it down by pointing out others offered similar for 500 (i just leaned towards this group, hence the negotiating). I'm very inexperienced but I feel like 550 Euros covers all they offer and then tip, so I don't know if I should feel the need to give more. It seems high as it is?

The problem with the 2k Euros is we're on about 7 excursions that ask for cash at the end, so totaling them up if came to about that. I think you've hit the nail on the head - I need to trust my card and the ATM. I did read that's the best way to go, so I need to let go of my fears of someone robbing me while I pull cash, the logistics of hiding money once I pull, etc, and just do it and trust the process. Because you're absolutely right, if I have it all out and we get robbed, that's a huge hit to take.

It's a shame the ship has horrendous rates, as that'd be the most convenient way for me to pull my money out, especially if it's fine to leave money in the safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a quick note, especially as you'll be paying a number of tours in cash.

Do bear in mind that there'll be a limit per day that you can draw in cash on any card, so you might need to plan withdrawals a few days in advance.

BTW, some good advice from Kerry.

In tourist areas it's quite common to add a "service charge" to a restaurant bill. By law in EU countries such charges are supposed to be shown on the menu but some places obey the law & some don't.

If a service charge is added and food and service are OK or even excellent, you're good.

If the meal & service are OK or even excellent but a small unexpected charge is added to the bill, even just one or two euros, don't add a tip. If a big unexpected charge is added (unlikely), dispute it.

JB :)

I would verify if they will take a credit card - we were able to pay for all our Spain tours with CC except for the Runner Bean tour in Barcelona which is a no charge tour, tip at the end what you feel the tour was worth. Also accessed ATM (not at airport) for what cash we needed.

Thank you so much for the tips everyone! I really do appreciate it so much [emoji5]

We'll make sure to look at our bills to see if the service charge is included. I did not realize they'd charge for the bread but now I know to look for those minor charges to determine [emoji4]

We are in Barcelona overnight (and Venice) so that's good to know about the cc. I hate that we need so much cash for the private tours in between but we'll plan ahead at the ATMs and trust our cards

Thank you so much for the tips everyone! I really do appreciate it so much [emoji5]

We'll make sure to look at our bills to see if the service charge is included. I did not realize they'd charge for the bread but now I know to look for those minor charges to determine [emoji4]

We are in Barcelona overnight (and Venice) so that's good to know about the cc. I hate that we need so much cash for the private tours in between but we'll plan ahead at the ATMs and trust our cards

Just a couple of generic ATM tips. If you can, bring more than one card from different accounts. With my DW I generally split cards. I carry 1 ATM and one of my CC's and she carries an alternate of each. If something happened, theft, forgetfulness etc we would still have the alternate card even if we had shut down the first account.

Also know your ATM max and how it converts. Took my brain a while to register at one point that I was being refused 500€ because it was more than my $500 max. Do not be shocked if sometimes a card just does not seem to work. Either try a different card or a different bank down the block. Sometimes that is all it takes.

If you do get money from ATM's at airports, make sure they are from banks rather than the local bureau de change as you will get much better rates.

Hi,

Thank you so much for such great advice!

Do you know if Venice's airport has ATMs that are tied to banks? Is there a way to determine its for a bank and it a local change bureau? I'm debating on pulling some money in the airport to cover us for a few days, but am not sure if Venice's airport has the good conversion rates.

I will keep in mind that when I pull, it pulls in Euros so my withdrawal might have to be adjusted. I heard not to use the dynamic currency to show it in US dollars, so I'll have to keep in mind Euros when withdrawing.

I think my concerns of having my money taken once I pull it has been what's stopped me from going with that game plan, but speaking on this board, it appears to be the smartest way to get money. I've been to Europe, but fortunately then, someone else was in charge. This time, it's my turn, so I'm reading all I can on best practices to get cash, etc :)

We've done two Med cruises, including Italy, France, Spain and Greece. We had one of the most fabulous tour guides in Pompeii and I didn't hesitate at the end of the tour to tip him. He not only gave us a wonderful tour, but followed us every step we took, including to the restrooms where some tourist group barged in front of us. We would never have thought of confronting them, but he took care of it immediately, including asking the attendant at the restrooms to make sure there were clean stalls for us to use. He was familiar with all the workers and they greeted us as if we were VIP's. We had a driver but no guide for the Amalfi coast. He gave us information the entire route and it was just like having a guide. He stopped at little spots along the way, got us safely across the winding roads to take photos and to buy from some of vendors along the way and when we asked for a suggestion for lunch, he took us to one of the most amazing places right on the beach with wonderful food. He even gave us tips on avoiding getting overpriced wine at the restaurant and which wine we should order. He disappeared and showed up at the appointed spot right on time. I was so glad we tipped because after talking to the other passengers that took the ship's excursion, they were astonished at what all we got to see and the information we were given in contrast to their tours. There were five of us and we split the expense. It was cheaper than the ship's excursion and there is no comparison. I think you are making a wise choice to go the private tour route. They got us to every location ahead of the buses filled with tourists, they gave us tons of information, personalized the tours to our liking and went above and beyond to make our day special and memorable. We tipped and we don't feel any guilt about it. At restaurants, we usually just rounded off our bill or left a few coins in the tip jars. We had stayed a few days pre-cruise in Rome and found a restaurant we loved on our first night. When we returned to Rome, we thought it would be appropriate to spend dinner at the same restaurant our wonderful adventure began. When we arrived, they remembered us and brought us all a glass of wine at no charge. While tipping isn't expected, it is much appreciated and not one of them found it insulting. Our guide at Pompeii accepted the tip and bowed graciously and patted his heart when I offered the tip as we parted ways. Just how we handled it. Others feel differently.

There are pick pockets everywhere, where there are tourists. No difference than at home. There aren't shady people standing by ATM waiting to rob you. 😀 just be sensible as you would be at home. Only take with you what you need each day and split it between you.

I personally have never been robbed. But my Uncle was, on a crowded train and wallet in back pocket. Men are particularly at risk as they often keep wallets in trouser pocket. Better to keep in inside pocket with zip. Carry purse strap across body with purse at the front. Fanny packs are really quick n easy to steal. Don't put valuables in back pack. Camera's around neck or across body facing forward.

I know this advice makes it sound like thieves are lining up to rob you. But it's more the things you do to make robbers pass you buy and pick an easier target. It's no different than if you went to LA or New York ☺

Moneybelts are fine , but don't use them instead of wallets. You do not want to draw attention to it, if you need more money from belt go to rest room to get it.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hi,

Thank you so much for such great advice!

Do you know if Venice's airport has ATMs that are tied to banks? Is there a way to determine its for a bank and it a local change bureau? I'm debating on pulling some money in the airport to cover us for a few days, but am not sure if Venice's airport has the good conversion rates.

I will keep in mind that when I pull, it pulls in Euros so my withdrawal might have to be adjusted. I heard not to use the dynamic currency to show it in US dollars, so I'll have to keep in mind Euros when withdrawing.

I think my concerns of having my money taken once I pull it has been what's stopped me from going with that game plan, but speaking on this board, it appears to be the smartest way to get money. I've been to Europe, but fortunately then, someone else was in charge. This time, it's my turn, so I'm reading all I can on best practices to get cash, etc :)

While, of course, rates can vary day-to-day, right now there's only a 5 cent difference between $ and €. And no ATM machines are going to dispense small change. So, just examine whose machine it is first. Travelex is not a bank, etc. Better still, check out Trip Advisor for which banks are most often recommended.

Another important consideration is that, if your ATM card is tied to multiple accounts at your home bank, you may only be able to see the "primary" (#1) account at a foreign ATM.

Read this:

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/cash-machine-atm-tips

Thank you so much everyone for all of the helpful information! The Rick Steves link is very informative for ATMs. I think I'm overthinking and over-worrying since we need so much cash this round, but we'll withdraw every few days and it seems to be the safest and smartest way to grab currency [emoji5]

I'm super happy we're doing mostly private excursions on our cruise. I did a lot of reading and had fears of "being left" but I've lost those worries as I've found tour guides and read reviews. It seems like not only does private save money when you split with others, it's more personalized and in the end, faster since there's less to load up and get off. The negative has been they all want cash after the tours! So then the ATM and tipping comes into play [emoji5]