Qatar from DPS to PHL

Emtbsam

Mr. Silver, we were very pleased with our flights from Bali to Philadelphia. Although we have not flown Singapore Air, Emirates or Etihad, we thought that Qatar was on a par with Air New Zealand from LAX to AUK.

Security was very high in DPS, and after checking in three hours pre-flight, we went to the shared Business class lounge. The plane from DPS to DOH was a 777 with 2 x 2 x 2 seating. There was more than enough room when the aisle seat was fully reclined for the window seat passenger to step over it. The seats were ample although when reclined, not as soft as those on the A350. The food was good, but we were surprised that we were only served dinner on a nine hour 7 pm to 11 pm. I assume we could have asked for snacks, but really didn't want anything.

After exiting the flight in DOH, we had to follow the signs for Transit passengers and went through another screening of ourselves and our carry on luggage. Fortunately, there was a separate line for Business Class, so it went quickly. The Doha airport is modern and huge with many many duty free shops and a very large Business Class lounge worthy of photographs.

Before boarding the continuing flight to PHL, we had to go through yet another screening of ourselves and carry on luggage made all the more onerous due to the computer randomly selecting one of us for a "full" screening. We were told that it was the US TSA computer that did the selection which surprised us since both of us have Global Entry. None the less, it was done efficiently, and we boarded the plane with only a slight delay.

The second flight was on an A350 which has the herringbone seat 1 x 2 x 1 configuration with feet towards the windows. (I prefer the Air Canada configuration with feet towards the aisle.) The seats were very comfortable with more than ample storage conveniently located throughout the pod. When reclined, a thin extra pad was put on the seat making sleep comfortable. Air New Zealand uses a thicker pad which would have been nice, but not necessary. One of us is 6 feet tall with broad shoulders and found the seat to be ample.

The in-flight entertainment selections were vast on both flights. The screens are fairly far away, especially on the 777, so if you wear bi-focals, it might be a challenge. The food, especially the Arabic selections were very good. Service was very good although the forward galley area on the A350 blocked access to the lavatory for those on the starboard side of the plane. Not a problem since there were two other lavatories aft in the middle of the Business Class Cabin. After 24 hours flying, my nose and throat were quite dry. I don't know if the Dreamliner 787 would be any better on such long flights.

This was our first experience with back to back long flights, and we were amazed that we suffered absolutely no jet lag.

We will be booking Qatar again for next year's flights to Sydney returning from Singapore. For us, their pricing is very competitive and their schedules require only 2 flights from just about anywhere in the world.

If you have any other questions, you can email me at emtbsam at yahoo dot com.

Hope the continuation of your trip is going well.

Cheers

Hi Emtbsam, good to know about this option. We're usually on SkyTeam flights but some day we'll have to try them

WRT the random screening. Chris is usually snagged for that. And yes, we have GE too. It's annoying, but usually forgotten after the first glass of champagne on board. ;)

Interesting that they used to screen everyone thoroughly. They said that He was selected by USA TSA and they had not flagged him. My bags went through screening and I had a lovely pat down as well, but he was tested for bomb residue and who knows what else. At least there was no strip search!

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting that they used to screen everyone thoroughly. They said that He was selected by USA TSA and they had not flagged him. My bags went through screening and I had a lovely pat down as well, but he was tested for bomb residue and who knows what else. At least there was no strip search!

I have had that happen on several occasions -- the so called dreaded SSSSSS on the boarding pass. This generally happens on a one way or open jaw journey (and yes Global Entry for almost 10 years). Will see if this happens on our current SS cruise when we return from Accra via Brussels on UA.

Now that I have a metal plate in my arm, I am subjected to the SSS treatment every time.

We have flown on Qatar airlines 3 times, and it is probably my favorite for long haul. But I like middle eastern food a lot.

Rachel - We loved the Arabic menu choices and actually are looking forward to them next year.

Since we were on a one way Qatar ticket, I guess that could be part of the reason he was selected for the extra search.