Favorite Table Size?

Saphire

We do open seating and always prefer to share and tables for 6 work well because everyone can be part of the conversation. I know fixed seating works most of the time but I worry we might not get along with our assigned table mates. I would feel bad if we asked to change and also if we did not enjoy our cruise because of table mates we didn't enjoy.

Edited by ORCRUISER
wrong word.

We like a table for six. Just curious what you do when you are the first couple to sit down at a rectangular table. Do you sit across from each other or side by side and therefore make one couple sit across from each other. I like to sit beside my husband because he doesn't hear well and I can keep him in the conversation. Not sure what is proper.

We always ask for a table for 2.

While in the past we have had many enjoyable tables shared with others, the couple of times where we've had unpleasant table mates have sworn us off of sharing for good.

We like a table for six. Just curious what you do when you are the first couple to sit down at a rectangular table. Do you sit across from each other or side by side and therefore make one couple sit across from each other. I like to sit beside my husband because he doesn't hear well and I can keep him in the conversation. Not sure what is proper.

Not sure what is "proper", but we normally sit side by side on the end next to the window (if there is one). Helps for my hearing problem. Plus, I figure - first come, first served!

unless we travel with friends which is rare. We prefer to eat at our pace and really don't want to get involved with other people. We usually have a bottle of wine and would feel funny not offering it to share as we do at home with friends. We also don't want to have a prayer before dinner as we have noticed with many tables.

Thanks for this thread. It's given me something to think about.

We've been on only one cruise and did open dining. First night we were asked if we were happy to share and said yes, sat at an 9 top, and had a nice time. But after that we did tables for 2 because the point of the cruise was more together time.

For the same reasons, we'll continue the pattern next month on cruise #2.

Someday I'd like to do fixed dining and I didn't realize you could ask for a specific table size or shape. That's good to know. From your comments, I think we'd like a round 6.

But next year we are treating our moms to a cruise and will be a 5-sum. I've been trying to decide what to do about our dinning choice. Our parents all like to meet interesting people. So fixed or open, I figured we would be "happy to share" and end up at a table or 8 or 10, a table for 6 being a bad choice for a group of 5. But the comment about grace reminded me that my mother-in-law will want to say grace which is lovely but I'd rather not inflict that on strangers. So maybe we shouldn't share after all.

On a related notes,

While doing open dining, I never had to prove that open dining was what I had signed up for. What keeps people with fixed dining from going to the open dining room?

Do they have a limit to how many people the let sign up for open dining? Just as there is a limit to the fixed dining. Seems like if not enough people sign up for fixed dining, then open dining could become too crowded.

Sharing tables can be a bit of a gamble. We've had some truly excellent dinner companions and others that made dinner a real chore night after night. Sometimes it's possible to swap tables and sometimes not. Sharing tables at breakfast and lunch is a great option as you get to meet a variety of different people each day without being 'stuck'.

We prefer a two-top. Unless we are traveling with our children/grandchildren, we request the late fixed dinner which is always less crowded than early. We have been able to have a four-top set for two on several long cruises. This gives us extra room but also allows us to invite guests to join us. Thus, we have the best of both worlds -- privacy when we want it and company when we don't.

We prefer a two-top. Unless we are traveling with our children/grandchildren, we request the late fixed dinner which is always less crowded than early. We have been able to have a four-top set for two on several long cruises. This gives us extra room but also allows us to invite guests to join us. Thus, we have the best of both worlds -- privacy when we want it and company when we don't.

Can you invite passengers that are not on late fixed to join you?

While doing open dining, I never had to prove that open dining was what I had signed up for. What keeps people with fixed dining from going to the open dining room?

In open dining you approach the podium to request to be seated, and you have to give your cabin number. That is checked in the computer, and it shows that you are an open seating passenger. Fixed diners just go to their assigned table at their assigned time.

Do they have a limit to how many people the let sign up for open dining? Just as there is a limit to the fixed dining. Seems like if not enough people sign up for fixed dining, then open dining could become too crowded.

There are only a set number of people who can be accommodated at fixed seating. The tables are filled twice per evening, and there's no room to increase that.

Open seating has a larger dining room, and has more turnover. Some tables can be used three times, if necessary. In addition, if there is an empty table in fixed seating (such as the people are at Pinnacle that night), open seating passengers can be seated there. This works best when they are arriving at the start of a fixed seating service.

There is room in the dining room for everyone, but not necessarily at their preferred service or time.

Can you invite passengers that are not on late fixed to join you?

If you have fixed seating, and space at your table, you can ask someone to join you. If you have open seating, you can't ask a fixed seating passenger to join you. You would have to get together at a specialty restaurant to eat together.

In open dining you approach the podium to request to be seated, and you have to give your cabin number. That is checked in the computer, and it shows that you are an open seating passenger. Fixed diners just go to their assigned table at their assigned time.

Thanks everyone, that makes since.

On Princess,

We never had to give our cabin number in open dining.

Also the fixed dinning room was totally separate from the open dining rooms and might require 2 elevator rides to get between them or some stairs so I doubt they were seating any open dinning passengers in the fixed dining room.

So you can see how I was confused.

you can request the same time every night as well as the same table but if going to a specialty restaurant you should let them know the night before so they can use that table for someone else that night.

If you know the people (travel group, family, club) six is enough ;otherwise you will be there for hours.

We like table for two. Do not like answering question: where you from, what is your career, how many cruises etc. Did this once and met these people again a few days later and they asked the same questions. Did not even remember meeting us before. I would rather have a nice, quiet dinner.

You also might have people who keep sending their food back for different reasons and criticizing the sauces and herbs etc along with portions ("back home we get much tender fillets for less money" etc. ) Indigestion!