Alaska cruises with most ports

Chris L

We are planning to take an Alaska cruise, probably in August, starting in Vancouver and ending in Alaska. We prefer days visiting different ports rather than at sea days.

What I have noticed in my research is that only Celebrity and Royal Caribbean offer cruises visiting 4 different ports with 1 day passing Hubbard Glacier while the other lines offer only 3 port days with 2 days of "scenic cruising" where passengers don't leave the ship.

Is this correct or is there something I have overlooked?

Thanks!

We are planning to take an Alaska cruise, probably in August, starting in Vancouver and ending in Alaska. We prefer days visiting different ports rather than at sea days.

What I have noticed in my research is that only Celebrity and Royal Caribbean offer cruises visiting 4 different ports with 1 day passing Hubbard Glacier while the other lines offer only 3 port days with 2 days of "scenic cruising" where passengers don't leave the ship.

Is this correct or is there something I have overlooked?

Thanks!

Those scenic cruises days are often highlights - Princess visits 2 glaciers which is a highlight for many of us. They are not just sea days.

Generally the difference is that HAL, Princess, Carnival, NCL all have permits to enter and cruise Glacier Bay National Park. Rangers board the ship as it enters the bay and narrate the route that the ship takes. It is not just 'scenic cruising'.

RCL and Celebrity have no permits to enter the Park, so they make a port stop...likely Icy Strait Point.

HAL has a variation as described above on a 14 day itinerary, but it has no land portion in upper Alaska. In addition some sailings stop at Sitka.

Personally, I would not miss Glacier Bay on a first trip to Alaska.

OP your best bet is for one way trips on the upsacle lines. They tend to have the most port stops and stay at them the longest.

Usually you get Hubbard glacier, four ports, and one day in the inside passage. In a seven day cruise that about as good as you can do because of the distances between Vancouver or Seattle and the Alaskan ports.

If you really want port intensive look at some of the tiny lines that cruise round trip out of Juneau, and go to seven or eight ports in seven days.