Has anyone done a California Coastal?

ACoupleAtSea

We are considering a 5 day California Coastal on the Wonder. The cruise begins in San Diego and has only one stop In San Francisco before disembarking in Vancouver. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't done a CA coastal on DCL, but on Princess. IMO, the DCL one is pretty sad (unless you're cruising DCL for the ship and not the itinerary). One stop is pretty limiting.

On Princess we did Catalina (this was a change from Santa Barbara); San Francisco (overnight); Astoria, OR; Victoria; ending in Vancouver.

Edited by Shmoo here

We are considering a 5 day California Coastal on the Wonder. The cruise begins in San Diego and has only one stop In San Francisco before disembarking in Vancouver. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks

We did the opposite direction last year, (actually were on her last year at this time), and had a great time. We stopped in Victoria only and just used the cruise as a floating hotel and source of entertainment. We'd definitely do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Did this a couple of years ago on the Wonder and had a great time. We enjoyed the ship and cruising. There were very few children on board in the Fall. Try to spend extra time in San Diego and Vancouver if you can both cities are beautiful.

Edited by gwsster

I haven't done a CA coastal on DCL, but on Princess. IMO, the DCL one is pretty sad (unless you're cruising DCL for the ship and not the itinerary). One stop is pretty limiting.

On Princess we did Catalina (this was a change from Santa Barbara); San Francisco (overnight); Astoria, OR; Victoria; ending in Vancouver.

How can an overnight in San Francisco be pretty sad? San Francisco is the home of the Disney Family Museum, a must-visit for every Disney fan.

Edited by Host Mick

How can an overnight in San Francisco be pretty sad? San Francisco is the home of the Disney Family Museum, a must-visit for every Disney fan.

Is the San Francisco stop on DCL an overnight? I didn't read that in the original post. I was just addressing the fact that there's only one port stop on a 5 night cruise.

EDIT: Just checked - the SD/Vacouver repo only has one day at SF, not an overnight. 8:00 am - 11:30 pm.

Edited by Shmoo here

The main reason we are going is so that our 3 year old can experience Disney. We want to see how she reacts to everything. With tight schedules this really the only Disney cruise we can work in. 3 days at sea on the Reimagined Wonder sound wonderful.

Edited by ACoupleAtSea

Does anyone think this cruise could potentially drop in price? I know disney cruises generally go up in price as u get closer to the sail date

Done the Coastal 2 times (3rd time next september)...the ones I did never went down in price and in fact doubled in price. I love a coastal cruise...let's you have time to enjoy the ship instead of ports. I could care less about a stop in Victoria, so I just stay on board. Loved the coastal one we did with the overnight in San Francisco...that was awesome. Booked for September 11, 2017 (and I am the admin for a FE group too)...can't wait for my 5th (gold level) Disney Cruise.

Stefani

Done the Coastal 2 times (3rd time next september)...the ones I did never went down in price and in fact doubled in price. I love a coastal cruise...let's you have time to enjoy the ship instead of ports. I could care less about a stop in Victoria, so I just stay on board. Loved the coastal one we did with the overnight in San Francisco...that was awesome. Booked for September 11, 2017 (and I am the admin for a FE group too)...can't wait for my 5th (gold level) Disney Cruise.

Stefani

FYI - you won't be gold until after your cruise. You will cruise as a silver when doing your 5th cruise.

We did the opposite direction last year, (actually were on her last year at this time), and had a great time. We stopped in Victoria only and just used the cruise as a floating hotel and source of entertainment. We'd definitely do it again.

We must have been on the same cruise, the one that went from Vancouver to San Diego, disembarking on October 1st. We combined that with a trip up to Disneyland and had a blast. Winning the final bingo jackpot didn't hurt either.

Is the San Francisco stop on DCL an overnight? I didn't read that in the original post. I was just addressing the fact that there's only one port stop on a 5 night cruise.

EDIT: Just checked - the SD/Vacouver repo only has one day at SF, not an overnight. 8:00 am - 11:30 pm.

Thanks. The OP mentioned overnight so I just went with that.

We must have been on the same cruise, the one that went from Vancouver to San Diego, disembarking on October 1st. We combined that with a trip up to Disneyland and had a blast. Winning the final bingo jackpot didn't hurt either.

That's the one, we won Bingo the day before, was only a $600 jackpot but that was $600 towards our cruise next year on the Magic!

We did this cruise in 2014 as a back to back with an Alaska cruise. We really enjoyed it. It was relaxing and the kids on board seem to have been more pre-school age. It was early May and possibly a little cool but not positive about that. We don't go to the pool so I didn't really notice. Its nice to spend a few days in San Diego beforehand if you can. We went to Busch Gardens and next time will probably do the zoo.

• 2 weeks later...

We've done the NB on Royal and SB (your trip) on the Wonder. We were lucky enough to actually spend two days in San Fran with an overnight, making it a six day.

You should expect a very nice experience that is a complete cruise with all the same bells and whistles as any other cruise. You may find a bit more maintenance going on as they sometimes use a repo cruise like this one as a way to transition the ship too. You may notice some Alaska port gear on clearance or shops changing over merchandise. On our trip they were doing some refurbishments on the rooms so there were blocks of rooms that were empty and small areas blocked off. I would not expect that this time as the Wonder is currently in dry dock. Just know that they sometimes use that time for this type of work. It's much harder to do while the ship is in Alaska.

Someone mentioned choppy seas and I want to emphasize that. Be prepared for much more rocking than you would experience on many others itineraries. They can't really go around storms much because they are hugging the coast and there isn't a lot of extra time. Our SB wasn't all that bad but it was definitely noticeable. Our NB trip was very bumpy. So much so the cruise line had to empty the pool because it had become a wave machine, sloshing large quantities of water out onto the deck. Most are not going to be that bad, but the Pacific Ocean is much more active than the Caribbean on a day to day basis (sans Huricanes).

All in all this is an excellent itinerary.

Two years ago, we did the repositioning from Vancouver to San Diego with a stop in Victoria. It was a bit anti-climatic compared to the usual

Disney Cruise, but we still enjoyed it, and it was a good price. We enjoyed the sea days and our night at Palo, and sailing into San Diego. Adding San Francisco makes it even better! Plus Vancouver is a wonderful city.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband proposed to me on a 7-night California coastal cruise in 2012! We paired the vacation with a week at Disneyland (sailed round trip from Los Angeles).

Since the cruise did not take place in the Caribbean, instead of fireworks and a pirate party, they had a Pixar theme with guest speakers from Pixar and special character meet and greets that you didn't find on other sailings.

I hope they do something special for you on your repositioning cruise!!

We also took a cab on one of our two port days in San Francisco to the Walt Disney Family Museum. You could definitely take a city tour and see the museum in one day.

Enjoy your cruise!!

• 2 weeks later...
The main reason we are going is so that our 3 year old can experience Disney. We want to see how she reacts to everything. With tight schedules this really the only Disney cruise we can work in. 3 days at sea on the Reimagined Wonder sound wonderful.

I just booked this itin on the Wonder for Oct just last night :D

We will be bringing our 3 year old granddaughter.

She has sailed on DCL before, but we have not. I'm very excited. I love Disneyland.

Patti

Didn't see if this was already mentioned, but a great way to get from San Diego to Anaheim is to take the Amtrak. It's close to the port (some may be able to walk it, we chose to grab a cab) and equally close to Disneyland on the other end. It rides along the coast, giving you some gorgeous views of the ocean.

• 2 months later...

Stefani

Hi there! We just booked this cruise for September 11, 2017. Do you know if there is a group on cruise critic for this date?