Smoking...Again!!

BristolGolfer

We too had the oppressive and unpleasant experience of sailing on Seabourn next door to a chain smoker. And the smoke in the Observation bar each night from one or two smokers managed to chase numerous others away, and make things at least somewhat unpleasant for many others. I wonder about the economic logic of catering to a handful of smokers, only a couple of whom are frequent pax, while chasing away lots of other potential pax, some of whom would return to Seabourn again and again. Oh well, corporate marketing research is never perfect. I also felt like a second-class customer where the preferences of a few smokers triumphed over my own private enjoyment. It was oppression of the vast majority by a tiny minority, supported by corporate management, creating a weird form of class structure on board where some pax get special treatment and others not so much. Just disembarked from a long Crystal voyage, and there is a distinct contrast. Spotted only a couple of chain-smokers, but they were confined to the open air and could easily be avoided. I heard a couple of brief complaints of odor coming from the cigar bar, but no big deal. And we were able to use our verandah as often as we pleased.

No one knows what the 6800 viewers believe about the current smoking policy.

Don't confuse "views" with "viewers". I have visited this thread at least 10 times over the past three weeks, as smoking on my upcoming first Seabourn cruise is my primary (only?) concern. The view count -- currently at 7,800 -- likely represents fewer than 1,000 individual readers.

The view count -- currently at 7,800 -- likely represents fewer than 1,000 individual readers.

So that's about a thousand of us that do not wish to die from second hand smoke or be burnt alive while we try to enjoy the balcony that we have paid for.

So that's about a thousand of us that do not wish to die from second hand smoke or be burnt alive while we try to enjoy the balcony that we have paid for.

But then you're taking away a smoker's right be burnt alive while trying to enjoy the balcony they've paid for. :D

I'm one of those who have viewed this thread several times but not posted. On our two Seabourn cruises we've not had a problem with smelling smoke on our balcony. We have of course smelled it in the Observation lounge but that didn't prevent us from going there. That being said, we also would prefer smoking not be allowed on balconies and limited to a smoking lounge. The issue of smoking on balconies is one of safety to us. We have sailed with people who were on the Star Princess when a fire started from a stray cigarette butt. They have told us what a frightening experience it was.

But then you're taking away a smoker's right be burnt alive while trying to enjoy the balcony they've paid for. :D

Which begs an etiquette question. When their balcony goes on fire is it considered rude to ask them to stub out their cigarette before permitting them onto ours as an escape route?

While I would be in that camp, if 1,000 (or fewer) people have viewed this thread, we have no idea how many are in the same camp. I believe there are people who do smoke, and who enjoy cruising on Seabourn because it's allowed, yet don't post their preferences here because they don't want to get attacked by those who prefer no smoking. There are also people who read CC but aren't cruising, haven't yet traveled on Seabourn, etc.

The only accurate measure of what percentage of Seabourn passengers smoke is data Seabourn has, from actual experience on the ships. The staff cleans every cabin every day; I'm sure they have fairly accurate data -- and more accurate than any of us can infer from he comments on this board -- on how many smokers there are. Voicing displeasure with the current policy, or asking management to change, is fine; just don't attempt to quantify the demand based on the numbers here on CC.

I base my findings generally by the many Seabourn cruises that I have taken and do not worry too much about CC and the very limited traffic that it attracts.

I think the most smoking activity that I have ever encountered on a Seabourn cruise was made up of about twenty guests.

I base my findings generally by the many Seabourn cruises that I have taken and do not worry too much about CC and the very limited traffic that it attracts.

I think the most smoking activity that I have ever encountered on a Seabourn cruise was made up of about twenty guests.

The final Spirit crossing easily had 25-30% smokers; the Sky Bar was very popular.

Almost 50% of the passengers were British (80 of 161) and only 16% (26) were Americans. Let the statisticians make of that what they will.

Edited by Winner

We spent 21 days on the Quest and never saw anybody smoking in the observation lounge at any stage and this was before the rules changed

I don't know if they would be able to place an ashtray outside one of the doors so a smoker could just nip outside if they wanted a smoke instead of walking a mile to have one? I can't remember where the nearest smoking area is to the observation bar was and this could make everybody happy

Maybe the staff smoke more as the only time we noticed the smell of smoke inside was when we walked past the offices on deck 5 every now and then if an officer opened the door to come out

Re my comment about replies to this topic I went back quickly and counted 40 odd replies from 2 people of the 150 odd replies

We are looking forward to cruising with Seabourn again in the near future

Edited by Thecat123

The final Spirit crossing easily had 25-30% smokers; the Sky Bar was very popular.

Almost 50% of the passengers were British (80 of 161) and only 16% (26) were Americans. Let the statisticians make of that what they will.

34% of the guests where not from the UK or The USA

There is no formula as every cruise throws up a different scenario.

I like what Seabourn offers and will continue to sail with them.

Alternatively, to save the petty squabbling and the oppression of the minority by the majority, Seabourn could configure their ships in such a way as to accommodate the desire of smokers and non-smokers to avoid each other's acrimony (which, incidentally, seems more prevalent in the safety of forumland than in the real world). Designated outdoor smoking area(s), indoor, dedicated and properly ventilated smoking lounge and banning of smoking on balconies or any other area where smoke can drift seem a suitable conpromise. It works very well on Silversea ships.

The only thing is that there is still an extremely small but hardcore number of people who will seek to discover somewhere where they can smell smoke the better to complain about it. I'm sure they will find something else to feel sanctimonious about and dictatorial over if the smoking issue is resolved.

This is an interesting thread from assorted viewpoints including the sociological.

As for smokers not weighing in here to defend their Seabourn-given rights, please, who would volunteer for internet suicide?! It's ludicrous to assume from their absence in this thread that there aren't many of them.

I don't care for cigarette smoke in my environs. Yet I am aware of, and not wholly entranced by, the newly-consecrated crusader status granting rabid kvetching "rights" to non-smokers -- the ultimate, not only safe but iron-clad righteous objection.

It's a bit much.

Neverthess, god save me from a death like this on the reef of smoker's row.

It is when it's deemed inflammatory (as the poster himself boasted)/you land on the Congressional lawn despite current regulation/you are maskerading as an adult- or all of the above, in this case.

Happy sailing!

This is an interesting thread from assorted viewpoints including the sociological.

As for smokers not weighing in here to defend their Seabourn-given rights, please, who would volunteer for internet suicide?! It's ludicrous to assume from their absence in this thread that there aren't many of them.

I don't care for cigarette smoke in my environs. Yet I am aware of, and not wholly entranced by, the newly-consecrated crusader status granting rabid kvetching "rights" to non-smokers -- the ultimate, not only safe but iron-clad righteous objection.

It's a bit much.

Neverthess, god save me from a death like this on the reef of smoker's row.

I'm no crusader...just keep your smoke out of my (fully paid for) space.