Southampton to New York

Jeffrey1950

Okay, I asked for advice on another thread about going New York to Southampton now I would like some advice on the other way around for those of you who fly over and sail back, do you fly back the same day you arrive in England ? If so is a hassle getting to the Airport on time?

Okay, I asked for advice on another thread about going New York to Southampton now I would like some advice on the other way around for those of you who fly over and sail back, do you fly back the same day you arrive in England ? If so is a hassle getting to the Airport on time?

Booking on a Transatlantic with Cunard or agent, If the Flight is included when Booking Cunard then you Fly back the day of arrival. Cunard will arrange Transfers which usually include some time shopping. The Transfer Coach looks after your cases , drops you off near Macy's and collects you at a prearranged time for the transfer to the Airport.

If you decide to extend your stay, but not use a Cunard Hotel, then you have to arrange your own transfer to your Hotel and Airport. You can extend using your own Hotel arrangements usually at no extra flight cost.

Sorry I thought you meant Southampton to New York then flying home.

The same applies other way round, Cunard will include the Transfer to Airport or Hotel, on day of arrival or if Using their Hotel package, otherwise you have to arrange it your self.

Edited by Pennbank

There are many flights to the USA that allow ample time to depart the same day. If you book your air with Cunard a transfer should be included but you can also buy it yourself. I don't remember the exact first time for a flight but I think it's about 3PM.

If you haven't been to London before and you have a bit of time available I would certainly recommend lingering before you fly home.

Rou

We've had cruises end in Southampton and flown home that afternoon, using Cunard to book air and transfer. Always worked fine.

I agree with rafinmd, it's nice to have some time in England after the crossing if you have the time. Cunard's "default" is to put you on a plane the day your arrive in Southampton. But you don't have to go with that.

If you want to book your air through Cunard and spend a little time in England, you can do that. You are allowed one "air deviation" without any extra fees. This means you can choose the day you fly home. I think you can even specify a flight time, but I'm not sure if they still allow that as a free deviation. Once you've made these choices, you have to stick with them or pay deviation fees for any changes.

We are just back from sailing QM2 NY to Southampton. We arrived Wednesday and flew that day Southampton to Dublin. We spent the night in Dublin and then flew home to DC yesterday. That route was dictated by the existence of very inexpensive flights ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you this the info I needed. The hardest part is if I should go Eastbound or Westbound. I lived in the UK 19 years so seeing England is not a priority to me and I live 20 mins. from New York so I can see that anytime but I will always say nothings beats sailing down the Hudson. So as it stands if I fly over and sail back to New York I would fly a day earlier than the crossing but if I sail over I can fly back the same day. Only thing I do not like about the flying issue although I made the flight many, many times in the past most of the flights were on a wide body (Jumbo) plane the last time it was on the Airbus and I was so uncomfortable ( not being skinny) I had heard once that although if you book air travel thru Cunard the flights are very cheap , someone once told me you could purchase the seat next to you for an even lower price, does anyone know if this is true? Please, do not misinterpret.... I certainly do not need two seats to sit on just looking for added comfort.

Edited by Jeffrey1950

Thank you this the info I needed. The hardest part is if I should go Eastbound or Westbound. I lived in the UK 19 years so seeing England is not a priority to me and I live 20 mins. from New York so I can see that anytime but I will always say nothings beats sailing down the Hudson. So as it stands if I fly over and sail back to New York I would fly a day earlier than the crossing but if I sail over I can fly back the same day. Only thing I do not like about the flying issue although I made the flight many, many times in the past most of the flights were on a wide body (Jumbo) plane the last time it was on the Airbus and I was so uncomfortable ( not being skinny) I had heard once that although if you book air travel thru Cunard the flights are very cheap , someone once told me you could purchase the seat next to you for an even lower price, does anyone know if this is true? Please, do not misinterpret.... I certainly do not need two seats to sit on just looking for added comfort.

Cunard will easily upgrade economy to PE, business or first for a charge which is usually quite reasonable. For one ways I have never beaten the Cunard fare except for using "air miles". Just ask and compare.

If you're still debating eastbound vs. westbound, consider that on an eastbound trip, 5 of the days are 23 hours. On the westbound trip, 5 of the days are 25 hours. It's been mentioned to us by the staff that everybody (crew and passengers alike) grow crankier by the day on an eastbound transatlantic. Everyone's well-rested on the westbound voyages.

....but I will always say nothings beats sailing down the Hudson.

Are you leaving from Manhattan? If you leaving from Red Hook, they enter right where the East & Hudson rivers meet, just down river from The Lady and head out under the bridge. While a great sight, not as good as when they left from the 53rd Street cruise terminal.

If you're still debating eastbound vs. westbound, consider that on an eastbound trip, 5 of the days are 23 hours. On the westbound trip, 5 of the days are 25 hours. It's been mentioned to us by the staff that everybody (crew and passengers alike) grow crankier by the day on an eastbound transatlantic. Everyone's well-rested on the westbound voyages.

I think that's much less true now that Cunard has been moving the clock at noon Eastbound.

Roy

I think that's much less true now that Cunard has been moving the clock at noon Eastbound.

Roy

So pleased to hear that, Roy. I'll be sailing eastbound next month, thinking the downside was losing an hour each night, as I did in June on Crystal Symphony.

Years ago, when hanging on the QE2 with some friends connected with staff (and crossings were 6 days), we were told that the crew hates eastbound crossings because everyone got cranky by the end of the voyage, losing an hour practically every day, but loved westbound for the opposite reason!

Does QM 2 ever leave from Manhatten these days?

Also the only problem I have found with the 23 hour day was remembering to get lunch in Before Bridge :)

Last time I wore 2 watches during the morning and found that helped me.

Edited by electra2008

Does QM 2 ever leave from Manhatten these days?

Also the only problem I have found with the 23 hour day was remembering to get lunch in Before Bridge :)

Last time I wore 2 watches during the morning and found that helped me.

I think QM2 leaving Manhattan will be a VERY rare event. The only time it happens is when Red Hook is not available, usually because there's a Princess ship there. There was a question about it on my next (October 11) crossing because Caribbean Princess was also in town. Eventually Princess moved to Bayonne NJ and we leave Red Hook. Bayonne usually is only for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, but appears now also to be handling Red Hook overflow.

Roy

I think QM2 leaving Manhattan will be a VERY rare event. The only time it happens is when Red Hook is not available, usually because there's a Princess ship there. There was a question about it on my next (October 11) crossing because Caribbean Princess was also in town. Eventually Princess moved to Bayonne NJ and we leave Red Hook. Bayonne usually is only for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, but appears now also to be handling Red Hook overflow.

Roy

Agreed that QM2 leaving from Manhattan is exceedingly rare these days. Aside from the awkwardness of turning around in the Hudson (always was a challenge with the QE2), I believe the QM2 extends too far beyond the pier and needs special approval from the authorities to dock there.

As for Princess moving a ship to Port Liberty/Bayonne, that is indeed an interesting change. (Not that I doubt you at all - and it may be driven by simple lack of alternatives). I had always believed that the NJ port was partially developed with RCI money and is run by a totally different organization than the Westside piers and Red Hook (which I believe comes under the Port Authority)

Edited by MarkBearSF

I had always believed that the NJ port was partially developed with RCI money...

For some reason I also believe that Cunard/CCL contributed to the terminal at Red Hook.

Personally, I miss cruising past the canyon streets of morning light as the QE2 sailed up the Hudson to the piers in Manhattan on her arrival...

Edited by MarkBearSF

Agreed that QM2 leaving from Manhattan is exceedingly rare these days. Aside from the awkwardness of turning around in the Hudson (always was a challenge with the QE2), I believe the QM2 extends too far beyond the pier and needs special approval from the authorities to dock there.

As for Princess moving a ship to Port Liberty/Bayonne, that is indeed an interesting change. (Not that I doubt you at all - and it may be driven by simple lack of alternatives). I had always believed that the NJ port was partially developed with RCI money and is run by a totally different organization than the Westside piers and Red Hook (which I believe comes under the Port Authority)

For some reason I also believe that Cunard/CCL contributed to the terminal at Red Hook.

Personally, I miss cruising past the canyon streets of morning light as the QE2 sailed up the Hudson to the piers in Manhattan on her arrival...

I think you're right on both points. I expect that Port of New York/New Jersey authority still has some pull with both Bayonne and Red Hook as well as with the cruise lines. I would expect that opening Bayonne to Princess was a very rare event and in the future it's more likely that future conflicts at Red Hook will more likely likely be handled by Cunard or Princess changing a date to avoid a conflict.

I was very surprised by this but I found it on the October 11 Caribbean Princess Roll call and on the Princess web site.

Roy

Thank t

We did leave on QM 2 after Hurricane Sandy early Dec was that 2012?

But had assumed it was only because of Sandy.

You're right. Red Hook is extremely prone to flooding and was closed for some time after Sandy. The previous TA got out of Red Hook just in time.

Manhattan was closed for a couple of weeks but recovered much quicker than Red Hook. Sadly I remember it well as I was in New York due to embark on the Crystal Symphony 2 days after Sandy.

Roy

I was lucky enough to have been on board Queen Mary 2 when she used the West Side Piers, The Manhattan Cruise Terminal, after a trans-atlantic in 2011 :) .

As has been noted, this is a very rare event.

And with reference to a Princess ship using Bayonne; some may be surprised to learn that QM2 has also called there.

I was unlucky enough to have been on board Queen Mary 2 when she docked at Bayonne, the Cape Liberty Cruise Port, after a trans-atlantic in 2006 :( .

I would imagine that it is quite smart now, but back then, from what I saw, it was an old concrete shed with little or no facilities, a real mess.

Other than these two occasions, whether on crossings or a Caribbean cruise, I've sailed to/from Redhook on QM2.

Edited by pepperrn

Looking at the port info website for NYC, there aren't any ships sailing in or out of Redhook during December. Manhattan is listed for all but The Anthem of the Seas (which will sail in and out of NJ).

QM2 is scheduled to leave Manhattan on 22nd Dec for the Caribbean. It would be great if I could sail into Manhattan on 17th Jan after crossing from Southampton. It would really feel special then.

While I found Redhook okay, surely nothing beats sailing up the Hudson to the old TA liner piers.

Looking at the port info website for NYC, there aren't any ships sailing in or out of Redhook during December. Manhattan is listed for all but The Anthem of the Seas (which will sail in and out of NJ).

QM2 is scheduled to leave Manhattan on 22nd Dec for the Caribbean. It would be great if I could sail into Manhattan on 17th Jan after crossing from Southampton. It would really feel special then.

While I found Redhook okay, surely nothing beats sailing up the Hudson to the old TA liner piers.

Booked M530B on Saturday and was looking at the tours could not understand one saying "before retuning to ship in Manhatten" now I know why. Have not accesed the Personaliser yet, might be a good idea:rolleyes:

Fantastic so easy to walk any where from that Terminal right next to the Aircraft Carrier Museum.

We stayed on 33 between 9th and 10th twice so have trawled all over that area.

Will find the site Thank you